Replacing Flash Drive

Urban

My flash drive has given up on me and I'm having some issues replacing it. My only backup is pretty old and for some reason is already unzipped. I have tried zipping it back up and making it boot-able but its not being recognized as a boot-able device when I attempt to use it.

Within the backup files I see config files and the disk_assignment.txt. Would the best course of action be to fresh install Unraid and somehow use those files to get me back up and running? If so how can I go about doing that?

The config files are pretty much everything you need to set things up back again (ie: if nothing has changed since your last backup then simply copying the config from backup to the new drive (and subsequently transferring the key) will have things back the way it was in seconds.

Disk_assignments.txt is a file created by the Appdata Backup plugin which identifies in Human Terms which disk was what (parity, data 1 etc) which if you need that information may be hard to discern otherwise at the time of generating a new flash drive.

Also, the contents of the flash are not zipped at all, so not sure why you would have zipped it.  (And don't forget to run make_bootable.bat as administrator to configure the flash as a bootable device)

Ok I was able to to simply copy the contents of my backup to the new drive and it booted this time. The reason I thought it had to be a zip is because the Unraid Flash Creator required a local zip in order to work, I didnt realize I could just copy it over myself.

It seems to have booted up correctly and I was able to transfer my licence key over. I now just need to assign my drives and start the array. The message saying "All existing data on this device will be overwritten when the array is started" is normal correct? As long as I assign the drives the way they were before (using Disk_assignments.txt) Unraid will just re-create the parity again and no data will be lost?