UPS Battery consumption, running single vm vs multiple VM's

Hi, currently i'm running physical windows installation for casual gaming (RTX 2060) + milestone and vmware player for HA.

I'm thinking of using unraid and separate it into 3 VMs :

- VM for HA installation 

- VM for milestone

- VM for gaming

So my plan is if a blackout occurs i intend to keep the VM for milestone running, and shutdown other VMs, that way the recording wont stop.

Something i couldn't do with physical installation cause i prefer to shut the whole machine down ASAP.

But there are few things i want to clarify :

1. Would running partial resource like this (only a single core VM) saves more UPS battery and thus more beneficial compared to baremetal?

2. The only reason i hesitate doing this until now is that i'm afraid gaming experience wont be as smooth as baremetal installation, any potential stability issues that i should be aware of?

2 hours ago, cemaranet said:

So my plan is if a blackout occurs i intend to keep the VM for milestone running,

For how long? Typical consumer battery backups are meant to provide enough runtime to safely shut down a machine, or bridge a small gap while a generator is brought online. They are not designed for extended runtime. You can find UPS's rated for extended runtime, many have options for extra battery packs, but they typically cost as much as a well appointed pc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 10:54 PM, JonathanM said:

For how long? Typical consumer battery backups are meant to provide enough runtime to safely shut down a machine, or bridge a small gap while a generator is brought online. They are not designed for extended runtime. You can find UPS's rated for extended runtime, many have options for extra battery packs, but they typically cost as much as a well appointed pc.

Can't really answer cause i cant tell how long each blackouts duration is,

but i think i'm gonna give it a shot and see if it's feasible, if not i'm gonna revert to physical.

And I cant use EBM, no room in the server rack.