Advice needed: 10gb sfp+ x4 card

Helmonder

I know.. I have the same thing. Although not peer to peer, I actually have a network switch with two SFP+ cages, one is connected to my server, the other one to my desktop..

Indeed great transfer speeds.

However, I was using a Mellanox X8 card (two SFP+ cages but only using one), now I have switched to a new motherboard I do not have a spare X8 slot available but I do have an X4 slot available, which should be fine since a single cage SFP+ is good enough for me.

There are however numerous different kind of Mellanox cards available in the second hand market and I was looking for one that is allready known to work with Unraid..

I now purchased this one on eBay:

Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT ConnectX-3 10GbE Single-Port SFP+ PCIe3.0 x4 8GT/s

Hope it will work, !

15 hours ago, Helmonder said:

That is great news !

Did you have to cross flash it in some way ? Or did it work right away ?

It did work with the firmware that was already installed (can't remember the version though) but I plugged it into a Windows Server based machine to update the firmware to the latest available.

There is a Mellanox Firmware Tools plugin available for Unraid but I didn't notice this until after I'd updated via Windows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/20/2022 at 2:23 AM, Helmonder said:

Card is in and working !

I moved the M2 to an pci expension card and put the SFP+ in the slot..

Done !

Question. I just got mine and none of the SFP+ dacs will lock in. I tested with my other 1 port connectx-3 and it locks fine on all dacs. Does the 2 port lock in for you? I’m assuming I got a bad one. 

Edited by Jclendineng
Dang autocorrect
Question. I just got mine and mind of the SFP+ dacs will lock in. I tested with my other 1 port connectx-3 and it locks fine on all dacs. Does the 2 port lock in for you? I’m assuming I got a bad one. 

What do you mean by “mind of thr sfp+ dacs will lock in “ ?

Think you mean “none” ?

Did you put them the right way up ?

Mine are locking great.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
3 minutes ago, Helmonder said:

What do you mean by “mind of thr sfp+ dacs will lock in “ ?

Think you mean “none” ?

Did you put them the right way up ?

Mine are locking great.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Dang autocorrect 🤣 fixed. Yes the dacs slide in but don’t lock and slide out easily. I assumed it was not expected so I’ll return…eBay seller probably didn’t test.