[Solved] GUI failed while rebuilding parity, now 1/2 Parity drives disabled (after array shrink process)

I was following the first instruction set The "Remove Drives Then Rebuild Parity" Method

Everything seemed to be successful, and it initiated the rebuild parity.  This looked fin after the first 12 hours or so.  However, after I got home from work, the webgui was non-functional.  I could still get into the shares, and still putty into the server.  I couldn't get the diagnostics to post.  I used the "/sbin/reboot" command from Putty. This certainly restarted everything and the GUI came back up. The server log was disable at that time, I've re-enabled it now and grabbed the diagnostics if helpful.

When I restarted, all of the shares were not started. I checked that all the drives were listed correctly, and hit start.

The parity drives are listed as "Parity - Invalid" and "Parity 2 - Disabled"

The parity rebuild automatically restarted.

I cannot tell if the initial parity build completed.

Any ideas what to do next? Should I let this new parity rebuild go until the end? Incidentally, when I removed the drives from the array, I didn't touch either of the parity drives.

orcrist-diagnostics-20220204-2051.zip

Edited by mikesp18
  • mikesp18 changed the title to GUI failed while rebuilding parity, now 1/2 Parity drives disabled (after array shrink process)
22 minutes ago, mikesp18 said:

not sure if the original parity rebuild/array shrink completed

Doesn't matter since this time it completed and rebuilt all of parity. Unfortunately, parity2 had already been marked disabled so it wasn't rebuilt.

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with parity2 disk, can't see what disabled it since you had to reboot. Maybe a connection problem. You must always double check connections when mucking about inside.

Since it is only parity2 and doesn't contain any of your data no reason to not rebuild it to the same disk. You could have rebuilt it at the same time as parity with another New Config but since you didn't you will have to rebuild it now.

Stop array, unassign parity2, start array without parity2 assigned, stop array, reassign parity2, start array to begin parity2 rebuild.

• mikesp18 changed the title to [Solved] GUI failed while rebuilding parity, now 1/2 Parity drives disabled (after array shrink process)