High Water for large array?

cappapp

Hi All,

I've been using Unraid for quite some time. My array is 30 disks. The server is setup as a media center and everything is automated with the ARR dockers etc. Because I have 30 disks, I have lots of TBs but I'm starting to get to the end of my free space. Sort of. I actually have about 20tb free. But I keep running into the issue of disk getting full. Thus far I have been moving data manually to free up space on the disk and it's all good until it happens again. This would be because high water is preferring some files to stay together. But it seems quite a lot of wasted space to use high water with a big array like this. Would there be a big downside to switching to fill-up or most-free this late in the game? Should there be anything else I should consider?

Thanks

Although likely due to a configuration option I don't fully understand impacting its operation, highwater has never worked as advertised for me.

One disk would just get pounded into the red zone, while the rest of my array sat quite empty, forcing me to manually move files around so mover didn't fail.

After switching to most-free, my disks started being utilised across the array in a somewhat predictable manner.

1 hour ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Although likely due to a configuration option I don't fully understand impacting its operation, highwater has never worked as advertised for me.

One disk would just get pounded into the red zone, while the rest of my array sat quite empty, forcing me to manually move files around so mover didn't fail.

Never heard of it not working if configured correctly.  Commonest mistake is to set a Split Level setting that is too restrictive and thus forces files/folders to specific drives