UNRAID 6.9.2 GTX970

Go to solution Solved by ghost82,

I can't get gpu passthrough to work completely and i need help i have watch spaceinvader and others and i am now stuck.

so what i have done is.

My cpu is a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core @ 3700 MHz

1. i have added the gpu to my w10 vm and in the xml added the gpu and gpu sound to the same slot.

2.i have in a windows mahcine used gpu-z to get the vbios and then i removed the header and then added the vbios to the vm.

Ok so now when i start the vm i might sometimes get notthing on the screen and sometimes a flicker/image for a 5sec with some pixels 'missin' and in the log i get

" qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:0a:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x5,romfile=/mnt/disk1/isos/vbios/GTX970_4GD5T_OC.rom: Failed to mmap 0000:0a:00.0 BAR 3. Performance may be slow"

Thanks for the help i know some stuff about computers but vms in unraid is new to me.

• Solution

Yes, exactly what I was asking.

Back to the issue, as I suspected, in your log:

0000:0a:00.0: BAR 3: assigned to efifb

0a:00.0 is your gpu:

0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] [10de:13c2] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] [1462:3160]
	Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci

Even if attached to vfio at boot, the host is using it for efifb.

In unraid gui go to Main - Boot Device - Flash - Syslinux Configuration, you will see several blocks, one with a green label, that is your predefined boot.

You need to modify in this block the "append line", by adding video=efifb:off

For example, for the "unRAID OS" label it becomes:

append initrd=/bzroot video=efifb:off

Reboot unraid and try to start the vm.

IMPORTANT NOTE: when you reboot unraid, unless you are using another gpu for unraid, if your monitor is attached to the gpu you want to passthrough, the screen will freeze, but unraid is not hanging, connect to unraid from an external device and manage unraid remotely.

• Like 1