Splitting data types on single share between SSD and Spindle drives

Defuse
Go to solution Solved by Squid,

I primarily use Unraid with Plex and Jellyfin docker containers to host my media collection. My primary media share that stores the Movies and TV shows is limited to only spindle disks as the capacity is around 40TB. 

Jellyfin can utilize NFO files for metadata which I am wanting to leverage for my collection. However, it does not have the ability to store the NFO based metadata in a location other than where the media file is. Since the application cannot support my desired configuration I am looking for a solution at the host (Unraid) level. 

Essentially I want to be able to present the Media share to Jellyfin so that it can read and assume that all of the media and metadata files are in the same place but on the backend host have the media files be on spindle drives and the metadata files on an SSD share. I "think" this is something that can be achieved with some kind of symbolic link but I have never actually worked with them before so I don't know what their benefits / limitations are.

As a bonus if I am able to setup this configuration I would like to be able to set the media share that stores the actual content as read-only but allow the metadata share to be read/write which would allow Jellyfin to create new NFO based metadata as content is added. 

My current share / folder structure looks like this.

Media
    Movies
        movie.mkv
        movie.nfo
        movieart.png

I "think" what I will need to do to satisfy my configuration is something like this.

Media                      <- Share that is hosted on SSD and is allowed as Read/Write
    Movies                <- Linked share that is a read only reference to a spindle drive share
        Movie.mkv        <- Hosted on linked share that is read only
        movie.nfo        <- Hosted on Movies SSD share
        movieart.png    <-Hosted on Movies SSH share

Edited by Defuse
6 hours ago, Squid said:

Perhaps the mover tuning plugin has the ability to selectively move based upon file type.  Not quite sure.  The base OS makes no provisions for this.

Ah bummer. I figured it was a tall ask but thought it might be worth a shot. We do this kind of stuff at work with Isilon and Unity SAN's and wanted to have something similar at home. Thanks for the info though I appreciate it.