Native iscsi support on Unraid for installing any games on a vm would be great

*As I progress more into the joys of Unraid and I find other use cases for iscsi I will add them here.

This has probably been asked before but being able to set a share as an iscsi target on Unraid would just be wonderful.

steam may be okay with installing to shares but apps like:

• Origin
  • Epic Games
  • Oculus
  • Ubisoft connect

Of which I use all of them will fight tooth and nail to prevent it😂.

All the games would just be easily downloaded and easily manageable.

There is a plugin for this but I couldn't quite get it to work I could see the drive in the VM but not initialize it also you have to choose an entire disk or create a file for it, I was hoping more for just being able to use a whole folder (maybe that is'nt even possible), I am a bit of a newbie I suppose.

Symbolic links just couldn't cut it

If this does not happen and you are trying to setup a windows gaming VM.

There may be better ways of achieving this, that I am not privy to but my solution was to:

Create a virtual hard disk (VDHX) so it only consumes as much as you put on it

Set it to its max capacity (around 64 TB

Have its location be in a shared folder

Set install location to the virtual hard disk

Note*

When I was fiddling with getting it to auto mount on boot I would get an error that it is in use by another device (even if unmounted) this is because a game launcher with the drive as it's default it's default install location for games was running.

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2022 at 4:20 AM, BAZOOKAPANDA said:

*As I progress more into the joys of Unraid and I find other use cases for iscsi I will add them here.

This has probably been asked before but being able to set a share as an iscsi target on Unraid would just be wonderful.

steam may be okay with installing to shares but apps like:

• Origin
  • Epic Games
  • Oculus
  • Ubisoft connect

Of which I use all of them will fight tooth and nail to prevent it😂.

There is a plugin for this but I couldn't quite get it to work I could see the drive in the VM but not initialize it also you have to choose an entire disk or create a file for it, I was hoping more for just being able to use a whole folder (maybe that is'nt even possible), I am a bit of a newbie I suppose.

Symbolic links just couldn't cut it

If this does not happen and you are trying to setup a windows gaming VM.

There may be better ways of achieving this, that I am not privy to but my solution was to:

Create a virtual hard disk (VDHX) so it only consumes as much as you put on it

Set it to its max capacity (around 64 TB

Have its location be in a shared folder

Set install location to the virtual hard disk

Note*

When I was fiddling with getting it to auto mount on boot I would get an error that it is in use by another device (even if unmounted) this is because a game launcher with the drive as it's default it's default install location for games was running.

Does the iSCSI plugins not provide what you need?

On 2/11/2022 at 5:20 AM, BAZOOKAPANDA said:

I was hoping more for just being able to use a whole folder (maybe that is'nt even possible)

No, that's not possible.

iSCSI is a technique to share a whole block device or a image as a block device.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:20 AM, BAZOOKAPANDA said:

Also keep in mind that I think is also not easy possible with iSCSI since with iSCSI you should connect only one computer to one target and not multiple computers at once to one target because this can and definitely will cause file and filesystem corruption.

If you share however a full disk to a computer keep in mind you can simply pull the disk out of your server and place it in your local computer and it will still work as local disk and vice versa.