Manage files on unraid without starting the array?

BigFam
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Is there a way to manage files on disks without starting the array?

I have encrypted disks from a previous unraid installation. I want to start over. I know that I can't mount the disks using unassigned devices but that requries the array to be started and to have at least one of the disks assigned to the array which makes it harder to do file operations.

I basically want to move files off of 3 encrypted disks by moving all files from at least one of the disks to the other 2 and then start the vanilla array with that empty disk assigned, then either mount the 2 remaining disks using unassigned devices or add them to slots in the array to continue re-arranging the shares structure.

Thanks.

(This is another unraid server than in my signature)

Edited by BigFam
7 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Are you sure this is true?   I regularily mount disks with UD and without the array started although I must admit I have not tried encrypted ones.

My bad. It is indeed possible to mount the disks without starting the array. I can browse the mounted disk from unraid gui but how do I perform file operations? I'm used to using Krusader but I can't start the array to start the Krusader docker app as it will make moving the full contents of appdata...

10 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

You could mount them on another computer and make your changes.

I guess that could work but I'm not in a position to mount the drives in my main unraid server for some time and I'm not Linux savy enough install Linux mount them encrypted drives and copy over neetwork. If all other options fail I might bite the bullet and learn...

17 minutes ago, BigFam said:

My bad. It is indeed possible to mount the disks without starting the array. I can browse the mounted disk from unraid gui but how do I perform file operations? I'm used to using Krusader but I can't start the array to start the Krusader docker app as it will make moving the full contents of appdata...

If you just want to move files you can just use the terminal window and mv or rsync commands.

• Like 1