Pausing/Hibernating questions

CobraPL

1. What is difference between "pause" and "hibernate"?
2. Is there any "suspend to disk"?, so after I restart unRAID I can continue work on VM w/o losing anything? Is such suspending default behavior in unRAID's graceful restart/shutdown?
I had sth like that in Virtualbox and VMWare.
3. VM, even when I am not logged, takes some CPU power. How to handle pausing/resuming in clever way? So VM is paused after e.g. I hit log out (in VM's Windows) and is resumed when I try to RDP to VM? Or maybe there is another solution like some mobile app to pause/resume by hand, but easily?

5 hours ago, CobraPL said:

1. What is difference between "pause" and "hibernate"?

Pause just pauses execution on the VM and keeps it powered up.  Hibernate is the same as Windows.  Dumps the contents of RAM, its current state to the vdisk and powers down.

2. Is there any "suspend to disk"?, so after I restart unRAID I can continue work on VM w/o losing anything? Is such suspending default behavior in unRAID's graceful restart/shutdown?

That's hibernate.  You set the default action in unraid to be hibernate instead of shutdown and install the virtio-tools from the ISO into the VM so that it supports that function

3. VM, even when I am not logged, takes some CPU power. How to handle pausing/resuming in clever way? So VM is paused after e.g. I hit log out (in VM's Windows) and is resumed when I try to RDP to VM? Or maybe there is another solution like some mobile app to pause/resume by hand, but easily?

Because a VM is for all intents and purposes the same thing as a baremetal machine.  When you log out of your Windows box. It stays on also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Squid said:

Pause just pauses execution on the VM and keeps it powered up.  Hibernate is the same as Windows.  Dumps the contents of RAM, its current state to the vdisk and powers down.

That's hibernate.  You set the default action in unraid to be hibernate instead of shutdown and install the virtio-tools from the ISO into the VM so that it supports that function

Because a VM is for all intents and purposes the same thing as a baremetal machine.  When you log out of your Windows box. It stays on also.

Thanks for your answer, so I want my VM to:
a) pause when I simply disconnect
b) hibernate when last user logs out
c) resume upon RDP connection attempt, sth. ike wake on lan.
How can I do that exactly?
EDIT:
"You set the default action in unraid to be hibernate instead of shutdown"
Where is this option? I have both drivers and tools installed on VM.

Edited by CobraPL
1 hour ago, CobraPL said:

Where is this option? I have both drivers and tools installed on VM.

Settings - VM Settings

1 hour ago, CobraPL said:

a) pause when I simply disconnect
b) hibernate when last user logs out
c) resume upon RDP connection attempt, sth. ike wake on lan.

This is all client side and you'd have to investigate there.

"This is all client side and you'd have to investigate there."
Really? The VM is hibernated or paused. RDP port is probably not open at all. How to wake such VM up via client side?
Disconnecting will do nothing, Closing will cause hibernating after changing unRAID option.
OK
Only problem is what to do to easily start hibernated/paused VM w/o logging every time by hand.