Best deals on usenet

Ken R.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also switched to Tweaknews few days ago and I cant say I'm satisfied with their speed. I bought 10Mbit account and it's very unstable, I should be maxing it at 1.2MB/s (my connection is 20Mbit), but last few downloaded files average at 950KB/s

I'm trying tweaknews for a month. I bought the 50Mbit plan as my ISP rates my connection between 20-30Mbits. So far my speeds have been the same as they were with Astraweb or faster. If I don't throttle SAB I see speeds around 2MB/s. It is rare for me to see anything faster than that no matter what I am connected to (FTP, Web, Torrents, etc.)

Giganews performance has just been unacceptable over the last month or so.  I am going to suspend my account and give a couple of others a try.  I am very disappointed.

I thought I was the only one that was having issues with them. Good to know I am not the only one! :)

Last night I signed up for a trial with a new provider.  I was able to download several files from the new provider that were incomplete on giga.  My decision is made.

Giganews performance has just been unacceptable over the last month or so.  I am going to suspend my account and give a couple of others a try.  I am very disappointed.

How? I just upgraded my ISP to Virgin and am getting 111mbps via SuperNews (8 + 8 connections)

Look at the thread.

What thread? What are the performance issues? No issues here. Incompletes and DMCA removals are not performance issues, you will see those with every provider -- that's why I have a block account with other providers.

Saw this deal posted on fatwallet.com

http://newsgroupdirect.com/unlimited-usenet

Unlimited Usenet - $7 Per Month

For a limited time our legendary unlimited usenet plan is available for only $7.

Never again worry about reaching your monthly allotment or using up all of your blocks. Unlimited means just that - superior usenet access with no monthly caps. This is $7 per month for life, not an intro rate.

The best features include:

1,605+ Days Retention

50 SSL Connections

30 GB of Online Storage

Access to NGD Member Rewards

Discounts on Ghost Path VPN

Saw this deal posted on fatwallet.com

http://newsgroupdirect.com/unlimited-usenet

Unlimited Usenet - $7 Per Month

For a limited time our legendary unlimited usenet plan is available for only $7.

Never again worry about reaching your monthly allotment or using up all of your blocks. Unlimited means just that - superior usenet access with no monthly caps. This is $7 per month for life, not an intro rate.

The best features include:

1,605+ Days Retention

50 SSL Connections

30 GB of Online Storage

Access to NGD Member Rewards

Discounts on Ghost Path VPN

They are a Highwinds reseller, so they get hit with a high number of DMCA takedowns according to forum posts elsewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

This is true on two fronts. Speeds are slower on than Astraweb. I can switch servers mid download and Astraweb almost always has better speeds.

I'm also still running in to a lot of stuff that won't complete but if I switch to my Astraweb account and redownload it works fine.

It's too late for a PayPal dispute. I may have to call American Express and see if I can get a refund though the satisfaction guarantee thing they do.

Don't know what I'll do after that though. Maybe just re-up Astraweb. Tweak news is 50% more per year for me than Astraweb or Supernews because I need the unlimited account (I have 105Mbps service from Comcast which in reality is maxing out at about 112Mbps)

In case anyone thinks I'm a n00b, I've been using usenet since 1993.

I'm using SuperNews, which is basically GigaNews for $10 a month instead of whatever ridiculous price GN charges.

I've had accounts with every usenet provider -- GN for about 5 years, AW for about 3 years for example. I'm very happy with SuperNews (GN) and would not go back to AW, although I may buy a block from them for fills.

Those complaining about "slow" speeds need to give more info. For example:

• No. of connections, to which server (e.g. USA/EU)
  • ISP line speed
  • ISP name
  • Usenet client
  • Age of NZB

I'm using the following:

• 14 connections to SN USA server + 14 connections to SN EU server
    * Note that I get about the same speed if I use 9+9 and I hear that SN EU is really just redirecting to the USA server, so in reality I have about 18-28 connections to SN (GN) USA. All are SSL.
  • Virgin Media (UK) 100mbit/sec. Actual max throughput 105-111mbps
  • nzbget client. SABnzbd cannot keep up with this speed on my HP Microserver. It won't go above about 72mbps. SAB is too slow because it's written in Python. nzbget is written in C.
  • 1 to 662 days old NZB. Per below, you can see my line being maxed out (12,500KB/sec = 100mbps) with a 662 days old NZB, which is 1.8 years. The one below it is 1473 days old, and that does slow down to about 4,500KB/sec, but I can live with that.

tzcwH.png

Here is a 301 day old nzb downloading with SuperNews:

K4bZ9.png

I've paused the download, made sure all connections were dropped, switched the server to AstraWeb and then started the download:

gJwnW.png

I have the connections for each set to the max allowed: 30 for SuperNews and 20 for AstraWeb. As I mentioned before I have a Comcast 105Mbps connection and the 13.2 I'm getting with the AW download is about maxed out for my connection at 105.6Mbps. I'm using SAB as the downloader.

Not everything I download is slow like this with SN, but I'd say I get the max speed 98% of the time with AW and less than 50% with SN.

mrow: I have experienced the same. My Astra speeds are great and super news fair. The indexer especially notices a difference between the two:

110 - 400Mbps over AW

10-150Mbps on super news.

Giganews was the fastest and we managed to hit 689.75Mbps with them.

I still believe giga has one of the best binary retentions and unfiltered groups available but you also pay for it 

Interesting. Given that I also have a 100mbps connection and get 111mbps throughput with SuperNews, it suggests a routing issue with SuperNews and your ISP. I'm currently using 18 connections to get 100mbps.

Whats weird is it has gotten worse as time goes on. Pretty much as each week passes for the last 3 or 4 weeks the percentage of stuff I can download at full speed continues to decrease.

I wish Tweaknews had a full speed trial account to see what kind of speeds I get with them. I've heard good things about their retention. I guess I could always just sign up for one month and try it.

shat: do you have any experience with them?

FYI, I'm downloading something that's 1239 days old, and it's coming down from SuperNews at 2,248KB/sec (should be 12,500KB/sec, but it's old, so I expect it to be slower.

If I get something that's 30 days old (maybe up to or even exceeding 600 days), it comes down at full speed.

If I really want to max out my line, I could just run two clients at once -- one downloading ancient stuff, one downloading new stuff.

P.S. I just bought a 1TB block from AstraWeb ($50). So far, it's working out well and has helped me complete some tricky old posts: SuperNews unlimited monthly + Astra non-expiring block.

That's my other issue with SuperNews. Way too much stuff that is complete on AW and not on SN.

P.S. I just bought a 1TB block from AstraWeb ($50). So far, it's working out well and has helped me complete some tricky old posts: SuperNews unlimited monthly + Astra non-expiring block.

That's my other issue with SuperNews. Way too much stuff that is complete on AW and not on SN.

I found exactly the opposite. It's why I left AW. Both AW and GN(SN) have holes, they just don't coincide, which is a good thing -- that's why you use one service for fills.

SN stats:

Period Start	Period End	Days	GB
08/21/2011	01/16/2013	514.14	39,761.89

Out of about 40TB, I've so far had to fill a few GB from about 10 posts. The incomplete posts were not incomplete when originally posted, but are old and decrepit...