Best deals on usenet

Ken R.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm trying to understand is what else, besides convenience of downloading TV shows and movies, you guys are using (and subscribing to) usenet for.

I think you pretty much answered your own question here...that's probably why 99% of the people subscribe to a news provider.

What I'm trying to understand is what else, besides convenience of downloading TV shows and movies, you guys are using (and subscribing to) usenet for.

I think you pretty much answered your own question here...that's probably why 99% of the people subscribe to a news provider.

Thanks for clarifying... I thought I was missing something else...

My question now, then, is why not just subscribe to Netflix for $7.99 a month and watch video content without the legal issues?

Thanks for clarifying... I thought I was missing something else...

My question now, then, is why not just subscribe to Netflix for $7.99 a month and watch video content without the legal issues?

I'm reasonably sure that this isn't the place to discuss this.   This OP thread was just about 'best deals' -- and assumed that the users of such a deal would be satisfied with that answer.

The short version -- Netflix is great.  {and I am a member} -- But "old" stuff is all that streams live.   Current stuff is wait for them to send the DVD, etc.  Check their website, see what is "current" (and in many cases, they can send you the DVD or BluRay) -- but the "streaming" video content is quite delayed from "current".  In many cases, literally years.

Other streaming services, VuDu, etc, etc are more current -- but Pay-per-view.

The topic, IMHO, of streaming paid vs. Usenet and vs. legalities -- are -- well, perhaps outside the rhelm of "support" or "good deals" for an unRaid server.

Just my 2 cents.  

Sorry if I stepped on any toes... I'm just trying to navigate through this all and learn about these things... I never really knew about usenet until recently... seems it is a big can of... something or other.

I still would appreciate others' input, though.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to bump this old thread but I just wanted to say I signed up for Astraweb with the $96 per year deal a few weeks ago and it's been great! I max out my 50mbit Comcast connection, getting 7.7MB per second with the powerboost for the first 200MB or so and settling down to a constant 6.5MB per second for the rest of the download.

Knowing it can max out a connection that high has got me itching to pay the extra $50 a month for the 105mbit Comcast service.  ;D

Sorry to bump this old thread but I just wanted to say I signed up for Astraweb with the $96 per year deal a few weeks ago and it's been great! I max out my 50mbit Comcast connection, getting 7.7MB per second with the powerboost for the first 200MB or so and settling down to a constant 6.5MB per second for the rest of the download.

Knowing it can max out a connection that high has got me itching to pay the extra $50 a month for the 105mbit Comcast service.  ;D

You know Comcast caps monthly data usage at 250GB/month, and that includes both upload and download. How much do you normally use?

You know Comcast caps monthly data usage at 250GB/month, and that includes both upload and download. How much do you normally use?

They only enforce it if you live in a high congestion area. I live in a small beach town so I've never been bothered by them about my consumption. I do about 500-750GB a month usually. I've done 1.5TB in a month before without hearing a peep from them.

They only enforce it if you live in a high congestion area. I live in a small beach town so I've never been bothered by them about my consumption. I do about 500-750GB a month usually. I've done 1.5TB in a month before without hearing a peep from them.

Well that's good to know. I'm in Denver whch is pretty congested, so I can see them bugging me. I've kept it under the 250GB until recently where I've gone over 320GB in a month and they haven't bugged me yet. Hopefully they won't.

Well that's good to know. I'm in Denver whch is pretty congested, so I can see them bugging me. I've kept it under the 250GB until recently where I've gone over 320GB in a month and they haven't bugged me yet. Hopefully they won't.

I live in an older neighborhood in Salt Lake.  I don't think the other residents use very much bandwidth, because I regularly blow the 250GB cap out of the water, and have never, ever heard anything from Comcast.

I use NGroups.net and have been very happy, they also give you SSL and VPN in their price.  Paid quarterly its as cheap as $10/month.

I don't quite understand the VPN thing...  In that if someone were to be doing something nefarious, the FBI working with Interpol, gets a lot of cooperation from most countries around the world.

Right now it's true that the MPAA and other orgs are going after torrent users but it's probably just a matter of time before usenet is targeted.

For some ISPs VPN can circumvent their throttling techniques... particularly if you pay for a business connection as you would need the VPN to work and they can't tell what your doing on it.

I think most companies now are just using caps rather than throttling (except for BT, which I think everyone throttles - but this isn't a place to debate that particular "can of worms").

ThunderNews offers:

Unlimited Usenet Access - $10.49 / month for life

75 Gb of downloads - $8.49/month for life

As long as you use this link - the offer is for Newsgroup Reviews readers.

Both specials are recurring so enjoy the 50% savings for the life of your account. The special no longer requires a coupon code. Simply click on one of the links on this page to go directly to the special page on ThunderNews site.

Both the ThunderNews Unlimited and 75 GB specials include:

- 50% lifetime discount

- 1,277 days binary retention

- 1,265 days of text retention

- 99%+ completion rate

- 50 connections

- Free 256-bit SSL

- Free News Rover newsreader

- US and European servers

- 24/7 tech support

• 8 months later...