Best deals on usenet

Ken R.

I switched from AstraWeb to SuperNews (that's my affiliate link). SuperNews is a GigaNews reseller, so you get GigaNews' servers without their price and all the VPN stuff you may not need. Recommended.

How does it compare to astraweb?  better, worse, same?

I quit Astraweb because of all the incompletes on older posts. It's a similar price.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched from AstraWeb to SuperNews (that's my affiliate link). SuperNews is a GigaNews reseller, so you get GigaNews' servers without their price and all the VPN stuff you may not need. Recommended.

I quit Astraweb because of all the incompletes on older posts. It's a similar price.

thanks so you don't get many incompletes now?  If this is the case i'm sold.  They don't have a year option do they?

My year of prepaid with Astra was about to expire in a few months so I'm going to switch to Supernews now and see how it is. It's only $4 a year more than Astra if you prepay for a year.

@neilt0: that link is more expensive than others out there. This link I found in Google search results gives you the same connections, retention, etc. for only $9.99 a month. https://www.supernews.com/signup/?account=SUPER-UNL-SSL-C

So I can use VyprVPN and dump truck?  I assume I just login with the same supernews account?  If so does the VyprVPN slow down my connection or cause any problem?  anyone use it?

So I can use VyprVPN and dump truck?  I assume I just login with the same supernews account?  If so does the VyprVPN slow down my connection or cause any problem?  anyone use it?

What he was saying is that you don't get the VPN and other stuff with Supernews that you do with Giganews. You just get access to Giganews' servers. An analogy would be like a Intel Core CPU and an Intel Celeron. They're both made by the same company and the same factory, the Celeron just has some features disabled.

And I posted the wrong link before. This is the page that gives you the option to pay $9.99/month OR pay $99 a year. http://www.supernews.com/super-special/

This is my first month with usenet, and after over 5 years with Rapidshare I can only ask myself - what took me so long to switch? I love it!

I'm using cheapnews.eu, I don't think I've found anything cheaper. I'm maxing out my 20Mbit connection, retention isn't that great, only 850 days, but after 600GB worth of downloads I only found 1 file that I couldn't download because of it. I don't have much (if any) experience with usenet, but if you are looking for cheap news provider I guess I can recommend CheapNews.eu. If I won't find anything with similar price tag but with longer retention, I will renew my subscription.

This is my first month with usenet, and after over 5 years with Rapidshare I can only ask myself - what took me so long to switch? I love it!

I'm using cheapnews.eu, I don't think I've found anything cheaper. I'm maxing out my 20Mbit connection, retention isn't that great, only 850 days, but after 600GB worth of downloads I only found 1 file that I couldn't download because of it. I don't have much (if any) experience with usenet, but if you are looking for cheap news provider I guess I can recommend CheapNews.eu. If I won't find anything with similar price tag but with longer retention, I will renew my subscription.

Supernews and Astraweb are both cheaper and have almost double the retention...

thanks so you don't get many incompletes now?  If this is the case i'm sold.  They don't have a year option do they?

You do get incompletes -- mainly stuff that has been DMCA'd -- but Astraweb has the same DMCA issues.

You might be able to get a year sub, but I don't recommend getting a year sub with any NSP -- you never know what's going to happen.

20Mbit plan that i'm using at CheapNews is 8.3 USD per month or 7 USD/12 months.

Supernews is 10 USD per month.

Astraweb is 15 USD per month or 8 USD/12 months.

So, Cheapnews seems to be cheaper...or am I missing something?

20Mbit plan that i'm using at CheapNews is 8.3 USD per month or 7 USD/12 months.

Supernews is 10 USD per month.

Astraweb is 15 USD per month or 8 USD/12 months.

So, Cheapnews seems to be cheaper...or am I missing something?

I guess if you're only using the 20mbit plan it's a little cheaper. I'd pay the extra couple bucks a month for the longer retention alone though. I also have a 100mbit connection though too so that plan wouldn't cut it for me. By the way, Supernews is available for a yearly plan too. $8.25/12 months

Does anyone have any recommendations for a block usenet account to be used as a backup server?

I am using astraweb, and have been happy, but every once in a while a download will be 10 blocks short and I end up wasting several gigs of download quota

I was using a free account from xsusenet and it worked really well, but they recently changed the system and the free accounts no longer have ssl and they get a 10 day retention rather than a 400 day one (kind of a joke)

blocknews.net is selling blocks that don't expire for very good prices, but to me it seemed too good to be true. 25 gigs for $8.25, no expiration, SSL, 1400 day retention and 50 connections??? That would last me literally forever as a backup server. anybody dealt with this company before?

Thanks

I have a BlockNews block, but it's not a panacea. I rarely get it to fill very old posts against supernews incompletes. BN is also incomplete in the same places, although it does work sometimes.

I'm thinking of buying an Astraweb block next. I rarely need a fill server for posts under 1,000 days though.

I bought a block in August 2010 and my account says:

Your Usage

You Have Used 0.92193 GBs Of Your 5 GBs Purchased.

I download around 2 to 3 TB a month.