Best deals on usenet

Ken R.

Just bought 1 month of unlimited Tweaknews and tested it with a few things I had gotten full speed with AW and not with SN and so far TN is matching AW speeds. Retention isn't as high but I've heard they're the best when it comes to DMCA takedowns. If I'm satisfied at the end of the month I'll buy a year of it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought 1 month of unlimited Tweaknews and tested it with a few things I had gotten full speed with AW and not with SN and so far TN is matching AW speeds. Retention isn't as high but I've heard they're the best when it comes to DMCA takedowns. If I'm satisfied at the end of the month I'll buy a year of it.

Tweaknews says they carry a.b.hdtv.x264, but many have reported not being able to view it... & not very helpful responses about it from TN support. Seems to be a really good place for a block account, but not sure about them as a main provider.

I wish Tweaknews had a full speed trial account to see what kind of speeds I get with them. I've heard good things about their retention. I guess I could always just sign up for one month and try it.

Maybe this will help?

One this page you can find speedtest files to do speedtests from our network.

Speed test

To test te speeds your internet connection allows you to achieve we have a speedtest where you can download files of 1GB, 100MB and so on. The link is: http://speedtest.tweak.nl

I wish Tweaknews had a full speed trial account to see what kind of speeds I get with them. I've heard good things about their retention. I guess I could always just sign up for one month and try it.

Maybe this will help?

One this page you can find speedtest files to do speedtests from our network.

Speed test

To test te speeds your internet connection allows you to achieve we have a speedtest where you can download files of 1GB, 100MB and so on. The link is: http://speedtest.tweak.nl

I ended up just buying 1 month of the unlimited plan to test it.

P.S. I just bought a 1TB block from AstraWeb ($50). So far, it's working out well and has helped me complete some tricky old posts: SuperNews unlimited monthly + Astra non-expiring block.

That's my other issue with SuperNews. Way too much stuff that is complete on AW and not on SN.

I found exactly the opposite. It's why I left AW. Both AW and GN(SN) have holes, they just don't coincide, which is a good thing -- that's why you use one service for fills.

SN stats:

Period Start	Period End	Days	GB
08/21/2011	01/16/2013	514.14	39,761.89

Out of about 40TB, I've so far had to fill a few GB from about 10 posts. The incomplete posts were not incomplete when originally posted, but are old and decrepit...

I did the same as you with astraweb but I only bought the 25GB package. I dont quite understand how this works. I'm using SABNZBD and I have my supernews setup as my primary and astraweb set up as my backup server/fill server. Is that all I do or is there something else that I need to do?

P.S. I just bought a 1TB block from AstraWeb ($50). So far, it's working out well and has helped me complete some tricky old posts: SuperNews unlimited monthly + Astra non-expiring block.

That's my other issue with SuperNews. Way too much stuff that is complete on AW and not on SN.

I found exactly the opposite. It's why I left AW. Both AW and GN(SN) have holes, they just don't coincide, which is a good thing -- that's why you use one service for fills.

SN stats:

Period Start	Period End	Days	GB
08/21/2011	01/16/2013	514.14	39,761.89

Out of about 40TB, I've so far had to fill a few GB from about 10 posts. The incomplete posts were not incomplete when originally posted, but are old and decrepit...

I did the same as you with astraweb but I only bought the 25GB package. I dont quite understand how this works. I'm using SABNZBD and I have my supernews setup as my primary and astraweb set up as my backup server/fill server. Is that all I do or is there something else that I need to do?

I actually think I know the answer to this. I just needed to give sabnznd some time and it showed me. So I added the 25GB astraweb server as my backup server in sabnzbd and for the parts my supernews unlimited account didnt have, I notice that astraweb picked up the slack for the most part. This sounds awesome. I'm going to let it roll and be sure but if I continue getting good results, I'll probably get me the $50 block. Thanks neilt0 for your advice on this.

neilt0, you provided great info. I am now out of my 25GB block with astraweb and files that had previously failed worked while pulling from two servers. I have about 1TB of files in my SABNZBD que at the moment so I bought the 3 month for $20 package from Astraweb until I get my downloading crazy fulfilled. Once that happens, a friend and I are going to split the $50 1TB plan.

If anyone is having missing parts that is causing your download to fail, follow neilt0's instructions, it's worth it. Thanks.

For my AstraWeb block, I set up 3 servers in nzbget, with 10 connections each.

You must have quite the download speed.  I completely saturate my 30 Mbps line (~3.2MB/s) with 8 connections.  YMMV, but in my experience having too many connections actually slows me down overall.

For my AstraWeb block, I set up 3 servers in nzbget, with 10 connections each.

You must have quite the download speed.  I completely saturate my 30 Mbps line (~3.2MB/s) with 8 connections.  YMMV, but in my experience having too many connections actually slows me down overall.

Well, I have a fast connection, but I'm also a cheapskate, so I use SuperNews because it's cheap.

I have a 100mbps line, and I've seen 105 to 111mbps throughput. The number of connections needed will be dependent on how fast the NSP can send each stream, your connection speed and any routing issues. I've found to max out the line, I need about 16 connections to SuperNews. They give me 30, so it's not that many.

Yes, there is a law of diminishing returns, based on how many files you can write to disc simultaneously. I use my fastest 7200rpm disc as the cache drive and nzbget which is much faster than SABnzbd. With SABnzbd, I could not get any speed over 72mbps, no matter how many connections I used.

With nzbget, I can have all 30 connections open, writing to disk at 100mbps (12MB/sec), whilst simultaneously doing a par repair on the same disc. nzbget is fast.

To test what the most efficient number of connections is, I interpolated until I found the optimum. With my old 19mbps connection, I could max it out with as few as 4 connections.

The reason for using 3x10 connections with Astraweb is that AW is being used as a fill server only. The usenet client will only use those connections if an article is not found on SuperNews. I used to use 1 connection, but with "tricky" articles, it could result in "hanging downloads", slowing everything down.

Oh btw, I gave nzbget a try and it was actually a little slower on the download speeds. It ran better and my unraid ran better. When I get back from my trip I'll get more involved in it.

I find that hard to believe. Try messing with the number of connections (requires a restart of nzbget).
  • 2 weeks later...

I messed with this again now that I'm back and I get slightly faster speeds using sabnzbd than nzbget. I downloaded the same nzb file and the average was just a little higher. I'm using 10 connections from supernews and 20 connections from astraweb on both. My speed differences arent great like you've explained. Yours was in MB and mine is only in KB. So I'm only saying around 100-300 KB difference.