Running parity check, errors popping up in Parity disk

zawarudo-diagnostics-20220215-1221.zip

My diagnostics are attached below, the title sums up the TLDR. I'll provide more details below for context.

I started a parity check last night, and didn't notice that one of my two parity disks is currently seeing write errors. Specifically 29****. As of writing it's at 1685. I've read from the forums that one reallocated sector is fine, but it appears to have reallocated sectors in the 400+ range.

I have dual parity so I'm not as worried, but the drive reporting errors is a parity drive. I'm not sure if this is going to be an issue or not. I have a cold (identical) spare that I can chuck-in and rebuild but I want to be sure that I have to. So far it's not slowing down my parity speed, but it is a drive I got back from RMA from Seagate.

Should I chuck in my cold spare and rebuild, and RMA the drive? Is it on it's way to disk failure? Should I be careful since it's one of two parity disks? Or am I overthinking it?

Side note: If this drive is getting replaced, it would be the third Seagate drive I've had to RMA. I only built my Unraid server back in July of 2021.

1 hour ago, banangineer said:

The report looks like it finished. Below are some of the rows that Unraid highlighted.

Those were highlighted before, you just hadn't looked there before. Also on the Dashboard page they would show warnings.

But that screenshot doesn't really say whether or not the test completed or what the result was.

Post new diagnostics.

1 hour ago, banangineer said:

go ahead and pull it, replace with the cold spare, and RMA the drive?

Yes

11 minutes ago, trurl said:

Those were highlighted before, you just hadn't looked there before. Also on the Dashboard page they would show warnings.

I had not checked that section before. I didn't realize you could run extended SMART tests. Now I know.

11 minutes ago, trurl said:

But that screenshot doesn't really say whether or not the test completed or what the result was.

I don't think it finished. I specified that the drives shouldn't spin down, but they may have anyway. This may have been an error on my end.

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

Post new diagnostics.

zawarudo-diagnostics-20220215-2249.zip

Posted. It still shows a SMART short test of PASSED, but as I read more into the results I see the same pre-failure warnings.

13 minutes ago, trurl said:
2 hours ago, banangineer said:

go ahead and pull it, replace with the cold spare, and RMA the drive?

Yes

That sounds about right to me. I'll go ahead and replace the drive with my cold spare. Do I have to do anything special since the drive I'm replacing is a parity drive?

1 minute ago, banangineer said:

That sounds about right to me. I'll go ahead and replace the drive with my cold spare. Do I have to do anything special since the drive I'm replacing is a parity drive?

I want to clarify this statement. My cold spare is another 10TB Seagate drive. I just wanted to confirm I didn't have to move my data drives before replacing a parity drive.

14 minutes ago, banangineer said:

it finished.

SMART Extended Self-test Log Version: 1 (1 sectors)
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       70%       822         6931513544

12 minutes ago, banangineer said:

My cold spare is another 10TB Seagate drive. I just wanted to confirm I didn't have to move my data drives before replacing a parity drive.

You can replace any drive with a drive at least as large as the drive you are replacing (except, of course, no data drive replacement can be larger than any parity drive). Don't know what you meant by "move my data drives".

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

You can replace any drive with a drive at least as large as the drive you are replacing (except, of course, no data drive replacement can be larger than any parity drive).

I pulled the failing drive, ironically it was a drive I got back from Seagate RMA, and replaced it with my cold spare. Currently running a parity sync, should be up and good now.

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Don't know what you meant by "move my data drives".

I think I'm just tired and overthinking it. It's not the first time I've had to replace drives. I may be paranoid from the last time when I lost two drives in a day. Idk.

Thanks again for your help as well as Jorge.

8 hours ago, banangineer said:

I pulled the failing drive, ironically it was a drive I got back from Seagate RMA,

Fairly typical. Drives replaced under warranty are normally returns that passed an inspection process and had their firmware reset. Sometimes the inspection doesn't catch a truly bad drive, and you inherit someone else's problem. Always return drives to the seller for replacement with a new item if at all possible.