[Solved] Unraid USB 3.1 Flash boot trouble after restart or shutdown on Asrock EP2C612 WS

ph_

Hi,

I am running Unraid 6.9.2 of a 32Gb Samsung USB 3.1 flash drive in legacy boot mode ( EFI folder name : EFI- ) on an Asrock EP2C612 WS mainboard with the most recent firmware 2.7.

I set the USB Flash as primary in the boot options, a baremetal Win10 installation on an AHCI ssd (legacy) is the secondary boot option.

After completing the BIOS settings and exiting or manually choosing in the bootmenu the flash drive there is no problems starting Unraid. However after shutting down or restarting the machine, it would boot in the baremetal windows 10 installation. In the BIOS, the boot order is changed with the flash the last option. I was thinking the Cmos - battery might have an issue, though all other bios settings are remembered and the battery voltage is above 3 volts, therefore I would rule this out. As far as I can see my Mainboard does not have a dedicated "fast boot" option.  Other probably related settings are as follows  :

USB Controller : Enabled

Intel USB 3.0 Mode : Smart Auto

Legacy USB Support : enabled

Legacy USB 3.0 Support : enabled

Secure Boot : Disabled

CSM : enabled

Boot option filter : Legacy only

I made then a second test with the Flash in UEFI mode (changed to "EFI" folder name) and eventually all other boot options disabled.

After changing BIOS settings, first boot goes ok, on the second boot , the computer goes right back into the bios lacking ANY boot options. 

It seems really like the Flash drive just gets recognized every second boot. 

Solution

I then changed Intel USB 3.0 Mode : Disable - so this did eventually work.... however wouldn't that mean that all USB ports run now on 2.0. speeds ? Well, and at that point I found below post - hence... I found a USB 2.0 port on my Mainboard and it seems to work now... phew.