New to UnRaid, new build, need advice

thebaum

I have had a windows PC running a plex server for years and years. Its crashing so I'm looking at upgrading and want to do it right. I am new to all this stuff so I am really trying to learn so please excuse my ignorance.  This is be almost exclusively a Plex server. I would like to build it to last a long time. Here is what I have come up with, please let me know what you think, or what you advise. 

Case - Rosewill 4U RSV-R4500U - $270

CPU - Intel Core i5 12600k - $280

MB - ASROCK z690 - $230

PS - EVG 120-GP-0850-X1 - $88

RAM - GSkill DDR4 32gb x 1 - $143

HD - sabrent rocket 1tb M2 - $90

Total (minus hard drives and the UnRaid) = ~$1100

Thanks for the help

I’m considering parts for unraid build too.  Still not sure if want to deal with headache of making this work with the latest and greatest hardware but I like messing this kind of stuff.  Do you really need the k version cpu?  If not overclocking then would consider the regular 12400 12600 or maybe look at the 12700.  With the non k cpu a fan come with them and would save money there.  Also, you would not need the z690 motherboard if not over clocking and save a little there too.  I do not plan to overclock so I reserved 12700 and the h670 at micro center.  Cpu 300 and motherboard 139

idk stuff to think about.  Keep researching!  I realize the non k cpu are hard to find so hopefully you are in no rush.

9 hours ago, thebaum said:

This is be almost exclusively a Plex server. I would like to build it to last a long time.

I think you can save quite a bit of money by toning down just about every component in the proposed system.

You will not really make the system any longer lasting by over specking.

Edited by Lolight