Automated selective back up - how to?

awediohead

So I know I'd ideally get an 8TB or larger drive to back up ALL the files on my server, but I can't afford one right now, and in any case by the time I get an 8TB drive I'll probably need a 10 TB drive and so on. Nor can I afford TB's of cloud back up.

Then it struck me that the truly important files I really need to back up are only a fraction of what's on the server, since the vast majority of the 6/7TB currently on it are movies and TV shows,  I can always download again. So that means I already have big enough hard drives to back up the important stuff, I just don't know how to do so selectively and then how to schedule the back ups?

I'm used to GUI back up apps like Carbon Copy Cloner and haven't the faintest idea how to do this with unRAID? Again if I could be properly selective about what is really important then I could probably afford 50 odd GB of cloud storage for the ultra important stuff.

When I search Community Apps for 'Backups' there's 83 pages to wade through, so if anyone can help me whittle down the options or recommend a specific docker for what I want to do, that would be really helpful: Back up of selected files/shares/subfolders to an external drive and / or unassigned device that can be scheduled? Preferably with some sort of hand holding tutorial as to how to set it up. Thanks