[Solved] Unable to stop array - Retry unmounting disk share(s)

Hi ppl!

I've got a new bigger drive to replace parity so I proceeded to stop all containers and VMs and then stop the array before shutdown, now is been more than half an hour and the server is trying to stop the array, checking the logs I can see is this:

image.png.6da1266b090c4313b0389d5265bad98a.png

Feb 18 14:27:28 Corellia root: umount: /mnt/disk1: target is busy.
Feb 18 14:27:28 Corellia emhttpd: shcmd (3275): exit status: 32
Feb 18 14:27:28 Corellia emhttpd: Retry unmounting disk share(s)...

I don't want to force shutdown but don't know how much to wait neither.

Note that my disks are pretty much full at this moment hence the party upgrade and reassign old parity disk to array.

image.png.d304489238bed23a8100f3fe6578bbe9.png

corellia-diagnostics-20220218-1427.zip

Edited by surferjsmc

Something is tying up disk #1 preventing a shutdown  (note that simply sitting at a command prompt with the current directory somewhere within /mnt/disk1 will cause this)

35 minutes ago, surferjsmc said:

and VMs

Were they stopped or paused?  (An issue was just identified where a paused VM would present this exact issue)

Shutdown from the UI worked, plugged the new disk and powered on the server, parity error because unclean shutdown message appeared as expected so I stopped the array and leave it on all night to give it time to stop correctly.

This morning everything looked alright so I proceeded to start parity rebuild on the new drive with both Dockers and VMs turned off, After almost 10 hours (4TB Disk) finished to rebuild without errors and now I just reassigned the old parity drive to the array.

To be honest there is drive on the array that is working but not 100% healthy, could be this the reason why it takes so long to stop the array and also the unclean shutdowns errors?

2 minutes ago, surferjsmc said:

To be honest there is drive on the array that is working but not 100% healthy, could be this the reason why it takes so long to stop the array and also the unclean shutdowns errors?

No.  A process kept disk #1 in use.  Stopping the array vs a powerdown is a slightly different process.  A powerdown (even from the GUI) will after a bit forcibly kill off processes that are tying up the system whereas stopping the array will not.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

No.  A process kept disk #1 in use.  Stopping the array vs a powerdown is a slightly different process.  A powerdown (even from the GUI) will after a bit forcibly kill off processes that are tying up the system whereas stopping the array will not.

Umm that's weird, I checked Open Files plugin and killed all processes before stopping the array on the first time.

Edited by surferjsmc
  • surferjsmc changed the title to [Solved] Unable to stop array - Retry unmounting disk share(s)