6.9.2 btrfs cache Pool of two drives has zero space left...one has errors.

johmei
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

When you set something up so long ago...you really forget so many things 😕 I'm not exactly sure what information is needed, but I'll start with the Diag File.  In my Dashboard, one of my cache drives in the pool is stating it has an error.  I guess that has something to do with the issue but I thought the point of having a mirrored cache drives was that when one breaks, the other continues to function but that doesn't seem to be the case.  I need to take care of this and I'm worried about losing data that is still on the cache that hasn't been moved yet.  The cache is just acting weird and I'm worried about losing data, otherwise, I'd just be reading the manual and messing with stuff myself.  Please advise and/or ask follow up questions as I know I left important information out.  Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_500GB_S21HNXAG941287N  is the first cache drive and Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_500GB_S21HNXAG643841J is the second cache drive (the one with the errors)

Thanks so much

johnsnas-diagnostics-20220219-0422.zip

11 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Cache2 is showing some SMART issues but should be fine for now, you can run an extended SMART test to confirm, main problem is that the pool is completely full, you need to move/delete some data from there, avoid completely filling up any COW filesystem, like btrfs or zfs.

That's the weird thing though....I have the mover scheduled for every week and I know I don't load up 500 GB or even close in a week.  This has never happened before and I tried to manually invoke the mover and nothing.  And when I try to view the pool....there's no data on there other than about 10-20 GB worth for my Docker Plugins and that includes a 10 GB for the docker image, at least not that I can see.  I have no idea how it is saying there is no space on it.  It makes no sense.  It's never gotten even remotely close to filling up since I first fired this system up about 6 or 7 years ago.  Any thoughts?

12 hours ago, johmei said:

I have no idea how it is saying there is no space on it. 

The pool is completely full, this is what btrfs is reporting, and it will be correct:

Pool: cache
    Used:             931.00GiB
    Free (estimated):           2.84MiB    (min: 2.84MiB)
    Free (statfs, df):             0.00B    

Something is using that space, as for the mover not working shares use cache setting might not be correctly configured, or there could be other issues, you can take a look here for some common ones, but until you free up some space pool won't work.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, JorgeB said:

The pool is completely full, this is what btrfs is reporting, and it will be correct:

Pool: cache
    Used:             931.00GiB
    Free (estimated):           2.84MiB    (min: 2.84MiB)
    Free (statfs, df):             0.00B    

Something is using that space, as for the mover not working shares use cache setting might not be correctly configured, or there could be other issues, you can take a look here for some common ones, but until you free up some space pool won't work.

I found the something.  Apparently Crashplan Pro decided to dump 400 plus GBs of files in the appdata/CrashPlanPRO/conf/tmp directory.  😕 took some digging to find it and that definitely explains things.  I used MC to delete them and the space is back.

I also did an extended smart test and it said everything checked out.  So I'm guessing everything is good, I just need to figure out wth Crashplan did that and stop it from doing that again.  :|

Thanks a ton for the help and reassurance on this!!  It's very much appreciated!