Atheros AR9280 Wireless Card BAR error

Go to solution Solved by ghost82,

3 hours ago, Arbadacarba said:

Got this to run without throwing up any errors but the VM doesn't see the card any more

Hi, I'm not 100% sure, because in the diagnostics logs the latest messages in qemu don't seem to be correct in disabling device.json:

-device '{"driver":"vfio-pci","host":"0000:05:00.0","id":"hostdev0","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x6"}' \

The above is in json format. However it's strange that you are able to run the vm without any error with the current xml...

If limetech updated qemu without updating libvirt, maybe you need to change in the xml from this:

<qemu:capabilities>
    <qemu:del capability='device.json'/>
  </qemu:capabilities>

to this:

<qemu:capabilities>
    <qemu:del capability='device.json+hotplug'/>
  </qemu:capabilities>

Worth a try...

Attach new diagnostics with this change.

It's a pity that the new libvirt isn't included in RC5, but I saw that you already wrote it in the appropriate thread.

Edited by ghost82
  • Thanks 1

I was wrong... it is working... I just hadn't configured it correctly in the pfsense software...

Now I need to find a supply of compatible USB network devices for my clients... Small medical clinics that run their medical records through an online service provider... If their internet is down they lose ALL ability to function. Can't even call the patients to cancel the appointments because they cannot see who is coming or their contact info.

A secondary internet connection is an option but at a cost of 100$ a month for a service they will hopefully never use... It's a hard sell...

But if I can give them the ability to turn their hotspot on, on the office admin's phone to get access...

Thanks ghost82... I wish it was more seamless, (on unraids part) but I'm very thankful that you were there to help.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just for info, now unraid 6.10RC7 includes libvirt 8.2.0, so this applies from this version:

<qemu:override>
      <qemu:device alias='YOURALIASHERE'>
        <qemu:frontend>
          <qemu:property name='x-msix-relocation' type='string' value='bar2'/>
        </qemu:frontend>
      </qemu:device>
    </qemu:override>

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting here with no internet... Unsure of why as of yet, we had a huge storm, but it went offline much later.

Thought I would give this a try now that I'm on 6.10 final... And no luck.

I attempted to start with the non working version of the xml (Added the cards and made the addition above (Manually adding the alias))

Here's the xml that I'm trying... it still appears to be removing Alias' though, so I manually inserted one.

pfsense try.xml

Then it spits out this error:

image.png.85811b34abf1017403b7ade22a29c190.png

And then I get this when I go back in to look at the xml:

pfsense result.xml

And Diagnostics:

jupiter-diagnostics-20220521-2218.zip

Thanks AGAIN,

I think I found the issue:

when you edit a vm in the xml view make 2 changes:

on the top of the xml, change this line:

<domain type='kvm'>

with this:

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>

Then, add the block at the bottom.

Once you made your changes save the xml and it will be saved correctly.

Just tried this with unraid 6.10.1 and for some odd behavior it strips the xmlns line with the validation schemas...Even more odd is that it exits like if you saved it, but it didn't. Using virsh edit command fails too (obviously because the xml lacks the validation schemas too), but at least it points to an understandable error.

Edited by ghost82
On 5/25/2022 at 2:09 AM, ghost82 said:

mmm for some reason it is not saving the block in the vm, sorry to re-ask again, are you sure you are saving correctly the xml?

Paste the xml, save, open again the xml, does the block is there?

Just tried again as I have a few minutes, ans when I reoponed it the block was gone... Interestingly so is the last part of the seclabel section:

</devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'/>
</domain>

This is what I saved:

</devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'>
    <label>+0:+100</label>
    <imagelabel>+0:+100</imagelabel>
  </seclabel>
    <qemu:override>
      <qemu:device alias='hostdev0'>
        <qemu:frontend>
          <qemu:property name='x-msix-relocation' type='string' value='bar2'/>
        </qemu:frontend>
      </qemu:device>
    </qemu:override>
</domain>

Maybe that's ok?

I know this is not your problem, and I sure appreciate your help... But where? do we go from here? I don't understand the issue well enough to create a bug report.

Arbadacarba

Edited by Arbadacarba
8 minutes ago, Arbadacarba said:

Just tried again as I have a few minutes, ans when I reoponed it the block was gone...

did you edit also the wrong domain line?

<domain type='kvm'>

without the schemas the xml will not validate and it will not save the block.

But if you modify that line as written in my last post the block will save, I tried it.

I actually did... but it wiped that out too...

I tried changing just that and making a trivial change to the name of the VM... the name change stuck, but:

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>

reverted back to:

<domain type='kvm'>

This is all in the GUI... Maybe I missed something... Did it work if edited in CLI?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...