Windows 11 VM - Possible to have Vdisk to show as SSD ?

runamuk
Go to solution Solved by runamuk,

I was hoping if anyone knew a possible way to have the Vdisk show as an SSD instead of HDD in Windows. With the recent windows update you can now run Android Apps native; however it required to have an SSD. Even though my Vdisk is stored on my cache drive so runs at SSD speeds it however will show as a HDD under windows due to the VirtIO drivers.  Any recommendations would be great.

image.thumb.png.51f1860c6db09a161de059c7c7443372.png

Edited by runamuk
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, runamuk said:

I was hoping if anyone knew a possible way to have the Vdisk show as an SSD instead of HDD in Windows. With the recent windows update you can now run Android Apps native; however it required to have an SSD. Even though my Vdisk is stored on my cache drive so runs at SSD speeds it however will show as a HDD under windows due to the VirtIO drivers.  Any recommendations would be great.

Perhaps this? You can pass a SSD through to the VM. I don't believe you can partition a cache drive in Unraid however. 

• Solution
2 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Try adding this code to the bottom of the XML, editing to match your SCSI volume if needed.

<qemu:commandline>
  <qemu:arg value='-set'/>
  <qemu:arg value='device.scsi0-0-0-0.rotation_rate=1'/>
</qemu:commandline>

Be sure to back up everything, you may break something badly, I have NOT tested this.

I tested this for SCSI and SATA and it worked. I was able to get it working by just changing to the appropriate device\volume name.

Example below 

</devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-set'/>
    <qemu:arg value='device.scsi0-0-0-2.rotation_rate=1'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

Edited by runamuk
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Was working in Unraid 6.10 rc2 but sadely this no longer works in Unraid 6.10 rc3 due to update of either

Libvirt to 7.10.0 or QEMU to 6.2.0

Yes, confirmed, and already addressed in vm faq thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/51703-vm-faq/?do=findComment&comment=1034668

Also here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/120232-atheros-ar9280-wireless-card-bar-error/?do=findComment&comment=1107467

I think a newer version of libvirt will make our custom qemu args to work again in some way.

At the time of writing the -set argument doesn't work with json format, so while some -set commands can be translated in libvirt (like rotation_rate), others have no way to be translated (like x-msix-relocation)