I'm planning my rig! INTEL Vs AMD

do_ren

Unraid beginner here.

Going to buld a rig soon for Gaming, Streaming maybe stuff in multiple VMs but, unsure if i should go first time AMD or stay Intel. Coming from a 9700k

Intel

Pros: 
Pcie Lanes

More slots

Used to it

Cons:
Expensive

Might be slow

Amd

Pros: 

Upgradeable
Newer?
Bit faster i think
Price
Cons:
Too less Lanes?

Idea isGaming 6 Core VM

Streamig 4 Core VM
Plex or NAS 2 Core VM

chrome_8EfM5zSc0P.png

Not trying to nitpick or anything, just curious why the 10920X on the intel side? If it were me at that price point for what you are talking use case I would consider 12900k or kf if you don't want/need the IGPU on the intel side. It would probably be my pick right now personally at the price ranges you are talking, and I am running a 5900X with a 3080 in my dedicated gaming rig right now and a 12600k in my server. 5900x will be the last of it's run on that socket/chipset, as would be the 10920 (11 series was just a waste of time IMO). At least with the 12900K you are on  a new socket/chipset that should allow for some future processor upgrades should you feel the need to down the road without a new MB as well, I would just stick to DDR4 when selecting a MB, DDR5 is still super pricey and hard to get. Not to mention the performance gains to DDR5 currently seem pretty negligible when compared to the price difference.

That's my 2c, take it for what its worth.

I upgrade from Ryzen 1700 to 9700K to 9800X, all are 8-core CPU, in fact no much different between them if in terms of CPU calculating power.

Best you could found some solid reason for choice between Intel or AMD, for me, just simple as I need 8 RAM slot for total 256G memory.

I have three X299 mobo, the total cost less then SAGE II. In your config, both GPU use dual slot, that means you lost 2 slot. So, does still sound good you pay so much for more PCIe lane which expand by the PLX chip ?

Edited by Vr2Io
On 2/23/2022 at 3:16 AM, do_ren said:

I heard 12th gen processors don’t work well with unraid, looking at the forum.

The 10920X looked good for me in combination with the motherboard and the  amount of lanes and the pcie slots.

Only real issues that I know of currently are a few NIC cards not being recognized depending on the motherboard, an issue with random shutdowns with Intel i915 module if using the IGPU (not limited to 12th gen), and currently no HDR tone mapping if HW transcoding with plex with the IGPU. Mine has been running solid for a few months now, zero issues with hardware or anything related to the 12th gen processor, I am using it for plex, all my storage, a dedicated windows 10 VM with a separate GPU and PCIE USB controller passed though, and a fair amount of other small dockers for downloads, backups, ect. I am sure a lot of these small quirks are going to be ironed out in a fairly decent time (probably when they release 6.10 as a stable release, if they even affect your desired setup. I personally don't do any 4k transcoding, or much transcoding at all from my plex server so for now I just have the HW transcoding turned off (IGPU not passed to the Plex container and sits inactive) and have never had a crash, and the NIC on my MB (ASRock Steel Legend Z690) works fine running 6.10-RC2.

Do you plan on a bunch more PCI devices in the future than what you have listed? Would also be able to eliminate that thunderbolt card with most Z690 boards as they typically have type-c 3.2 Gen 2 right on them (assuming that is what you were going for). Seems like there would be more than enough PCIe lane headroom for you use case, plus PCIe 5 and Gen 4 M2 slots. I would would also consider going for more RAM if running both the gaming and streaming VM along side unraid with plex and such running all at the same time.

Edited by MadMatt337
  • Like 2