Unraid as a 'host' for software KVM?

tvojm100

Hi all, 

I have multiple physical client laptop devices (work x1, personal x1, family x1). 

I have the above set up connected to a dual monitor setup. The video output connections on all three are different, USB C, HDMI and VGA. All are connected individually to the monitor setup. 

But to control the keyboard and mouse, I use the software called 'Barrier', which seems to work fine across all three devices. 

The only issue with this is one of the three laptops have to be the host and therefore on, even if I wanted to use one of the other devices alone. 

So is there a Barrier type docker/app that I can run on Unraid itself, so it can be the 'host' - with the Unraid server always being on. 

Currently the only other way I can think of is to set up a raspberry Pi and running Barrier on there as a host. 

I realise the 'dummy Pi host' will still form a part of one of switchable devices, but I can live with that. 

Also, I considered a hardware USB switch, but, am trying reduced the number wires connected to the laptops as they are often used for portability as well as being docked. 

Edited by tvojm100
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jbartlett said:

I've been pondering software KVM's off & on and looked into Barrier. It strikes me that if you create a VM running Windows or Unix, you can use that as your Barrier host.

Yes, this is what I was planning to test. I did get as far as installing Ubuntu, but couldn't install Barrier on it - incorrect file type or similar message. I'm not familiar with the Linux OS, even the GUI. 

I am assuming the keyboard and mouse connect to the Unraid box, which then have to passed through to the VM?