"SimpleFeatures" Plugin - Version 1.0.11

There is a feature that I would like to see add to the new interface.  That feature is a 'Power Down' button. Preferably, on the 'Main' page.  While the Control-Alt-Delete on the keyboard can be added, my server will be located in an unaccessible area in the basement.  I realize that there is a 'Power Down' button on the unMENU/user scripts page, it is would seem that this function would be more logically located on the interface that (hopefully} will be the most used one.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a feature that I would like to see add to the new interface.  That feature is a 'Power Down' button. Preferably, on the 'Main' page.  While the Control-Alt-Delete on the keyboard can be added, my server will be located in an unaccessible area in the basement.  I realize that there is a 'Power Down' button on the unMENU/user scripts page, it is would seem that this function would be more logically located on the interface that (hopefully} will be the most used one.

Stop the array and the powerdown button will appear.

Stop the array and the powerdown button will appear.

Thank you! I did not realize that.  That will do the job.  It does take an extra couple of steps but those steps may prevent an inadvertent powerdown.

I have been working my way through the Simple Features plugin and have an observation. 

On the Settings -> Email Notifications page, there is an option to email when the drives are spun down.  It seems to my mind that either the choices (Yes/No) are backwards or the condition is stated in the negative.  I believe that this situation requires some change to clarify what the result of the choice actually is.

The current condition is "If Spun Down".  If you check 'Yes', the email is NOT sent.  If you check 'No', the email is sent.

In my opinion, one of two things should be changed to clarify the situation. 

(1) The action of the option choice could be reversed.  ('Yes' sends the email, 'No' does not.)

(2) The option statement be changed to something like:  "No Notification if Spun Down". 

I think this plugin will be a great addition to unRAID!  It improves the usability of the product enormously to those (1) who have either never used the command line or (2) for whom it has been twenty years since we used it on a regular basis and are simply not comfortable with it after all this time.

@Speeding_Ant

Firstly, congrats and thanks for such a great plugin - I love this add-on and unRAID looks so much more "Pro" with it.  :)

One observation / request I think that would improve it no end, if I may be so bold.

On the Stats page where the drive usage 'bar' appears I think it would be more useful to introduce an Orange status bar when the disk gets to, say, 90% full. Also having read another post on here about performance issues experienced when disks are full. Perhaps making the bar turn red at say 97.5% or even 95%. If the Red threshold was reduced to 95% then perhaps the bar ought to turn orange at 85%.

What do people think?

Any chance of adding non-array drives to the status page?  I have a spare disk sitting there just waiting to take over in case of failure and I'd like to see its status like I can in UnMENU.  Specifically I like to confirm that it is indeed spun down (for some reasno now on 5.0b14 vs 4.7 this drie does not spin down on its own) and that is is otherwise alive and happy which means I'd like to check SMART status etc. 

Basically if I can see non-array drives just like I can see array drives that would be awesome.

Thanks and awesome work.  Keep it coming.

Is it possible to add a function so it display what port on the MB/SATA card each disk are connected to ?

Example below, but in a nicer looks ;-)

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 2011-12-10 10:25 pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-0:0:0:0 -> ../../sdb

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 2011-12-10 10:25 pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-2:0:0:0 -> ../../sdc

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 2011-12-10 10:25 pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-6:0:0:0 -> ../../sdd

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 2011-12-10 10:25 pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-7:0:0:0 -> ../../sde

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 2011-12-10 10:25 pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-8:0:0:0 -> ../../sdf

• 3 weeks later...

While Speeding Ant is waiting ;D for a final unRAID version (and to be honest I like to see that too any time soon), I made some additions and changes to my modified version of Simple Features.

The biggest change is in the support of SMART reports.

First I made a rewrite of the original implementation in SF. The display of the test update progress should now work with more disks (e.g. it wasn't working with my WD disks before). And also the possibility to cancel a running test has been added (if you change your mind in the middle).

Second a new Health page has been added to get an instant overview of the health of your disks. This is using SMART technology to read the status of each disk. The screen below shows the opening page:

health_sf1.png

In the top row are the available disks and the current selected one has a green surrounding frame. The picture of the disk shows the overall SMART status. There are three possibilities:

disk_ok.png Disk has correct SMART status

disk_fail.png Disk has failing SMART status

disk_off.png Disk has spun down

While the Health page is opened the SMART status of each disk is updated automatically in the background, when a status change occurs the result becomes visible without the need of refreshing the page.  ::)

The possible sub-menus are listed below by default the first choice "Disk Identity" is selected. The next choice "Disk Attributes" gives an overview of the different SMART values and color coding is used to highlight potential errors.

health_sf2.png

RED - indicates a critical status which may cause the drive to fail soon

PINK - indicates an alert status with a drive having failures in the past

PURPLE - indicates a notification status with values which exceed the preset threshold

It is possible to start a SMART self-test either "short" (2 minutes or less) or "extended" (several hours). The page will show the progress of the self-test as a percentage completed and finishes with a final state.

health_sf3.png

You can download the updated SF package version 0.9g here

IMPORTANT: Before installing this new package you have to disable "FOLDER CACHING" and "SLEEP MODE".

Due to the new folder structure of this package it requires the entries for the scripts in the "go" file to be rebuild. Disabling said functions above will remove the old entries!

Copy the package to the location /boot/extra and reboot your system, alternatively you can install the package manually from the CLI:

installpkg /boot/extra/simpleFeatures-0.9g-unraid-adapted-by-bergware.tgz

NOTE: If you were running the SF package before, you should *not* do the manual installation, but reboot your system instead.

For those of you who don't like the original unRAID mountains picture, it can be switched off  (see display settings)  8)

This version also includes several corrections I came across over time.

If you don't run (or want to use SF) there is also a separate Health plugin available, see the appropriate topic under 'User Customizations'.

Let me know your experiences, and have fun  :)

BonieNL

Ooo nice work.

This should really be a separate plugin for sure.

This is also available as a separate plugin (see the other topic under User Customizations), but as a "convenience" for now I have also integrated this into a single SF package...

The whole thinking though is to make separate plugins in the future (plugin manager coming soon ???) and I re-organised the folder structure to better suite that thinking... (if you don't mind  ;))

System Profiler in Utils is missing its icon.

Show Banner Image has no effect for me. It is always on no matter if the option is off.

Reference to the image has some uppercase characters in it, while it should be all lowercase. This has been corrected, if you re-download the package (see post before) it has the correction.

Can you clear the cache of your browser? To show/hide the banner is done using a CSS file which the browser needs to reload.

System Profiler in Utils is missing its icon.

Show Banner Image has no effect for me. It is always on no matter if the option is off.

I have same issue with missing icons.

But this is a great"plugin"  ;D I think we going to see so much great add ons when 5 is released  8)

//Peter

• Squid locked this topic