"SimpleFeatures" Plugin - Version 1.0.11

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I have just upgraded to this version from the old 0.9b

I have downloaded ALL the files from the download page and dropped them into the /boot/extras folder on the flash drive. Not sure what triggers the install of the new rc2 version of simple features as i have commented out (#) the install plg line in my go file / script but the web gui seems to be present when i reboot??

Any way my problem is that none of the disk ID's / erials are showing up so i cant add new disk

What can i do please?

i just tried to get the newest version of simpleFeatures installed, since i liked the GUI of the old v.04 so much since i first installed it years ago, but after following the install instructions to - what i thought - a T, and rebooting, i still get the regular unRAID GUI.

since Redstorm, just before my post, confirmed that he did get it to work (i had the same reaction of asking myself "what actually triggers the installs of all these tar files in the extra folder?!", but my best guess is that the extra folder gets "executed" by default?), i must be doing something very basic wrong.

my go script reads as follows (just the most simple/stock go script):

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

what am i not getting right here?

You do not need to change your go script, simplefeatures replaces the stock gui, if you still see the stock gui appearing then something went wrong with the installation process of simplefeatures, that process is pretty simple:

If you're migrating from an earlier version, remember to remove the installpkg entry in your "Go" file before continuing.

1. Download the packages you wish to install. The Base package is required for all other packages to run.

2. Create folder called Extra at the base of the flash drive - "/extra"

3. Copy in the packages (must have .tgz extension) you wish to have installed on Boot.

4. Reboot. If it looks funny, please clear your browser cache

So check if you have a directory /extra on your flashdrive, check if there is a bunch of files there ending in .TGZ. Double check if you have the base-package.

Then reboot your system, if you still get the old gui just to be sure clear your browser cache, if it still does not work post a syslog ..

You do not need to change your go script, simplefeatures replaces the stock gui, if you still see the stock gui appearing then something went wrong with the installation process of simplefeatures, that process is pretty simple:

If you're migrating from an earlier version, remember to remove the installpkg entry in your "Go" file before continuing.

1. Download the packages you wish to install. The Base package is required for all other packages to run.

2. Create folder called Extra at the base of the flash drive - "/boot/extra"

3. Copy in the packages (must have .tgz extension) you wish to have installed on Boot.

4. Reboot. If it looks funny, please clear your browser cache

So check if you have a directory /boot/extra on your flashdrive, check if there is a bunch of files there ending in .TGZ. Double check if you have the base-package.

Then reboot your system, if you still get the old gui just to be sure clear your browser cache, if it still does not work post a syslog ..

I would want to point out that you should not create  the /boot/extra directory on your flash drive (as your flash drive IS /boot) but only the "extra" directory

although point 2 from Helmonder points it out correctly, it is often misunderstood and people end up with /boot/boot/extra  ;D

well, you're right in pointing out that the /boot/extra refers to an "extra" folder created in the *root* of the boot flash drive (which is called "flash" in my case), because i did in fact initially create the "extra" folder *inside* the boot folder.

but even after moving it into the root of my flash drive (see attached image) and rebooting, i still get the regular unRaid web GUI.

i know i'm just missing something totally obvious (to others), but i'm still not getting it...does my "flash" drive need to be renamed to "boot" or something like that?

unRaid-extra.jpg.f0fe7a8cf734ec4b4e85921232d275e4.jpg

silly me...i knew it had to be something as "obvious" as that! but why did those files all end up as tar files after downloading them to my computer, when i used Safari to get them straight from the google code site (wher they are listed as tgz files)? can i just rename the extensions, or do i need to use some other means of downloading them as tgz's?

It sounds like safari may have un-gzipped them to give you the tar file.  A tgz file is a tar file that's been gzipped.  To ensure you're getting the correct file you can copy the link to the file, and then open terminal, navigate to the directory you want to download the file to, and type:

wget and then right click and paste the link

Then press enter.  This will ensure that the file doesn't get modified.  After that's done you can copy the file to your unRAID flash drive.

thanks...before these last two replies were posted, i downloaded a utility called GUItar, and turned the tar files back into tgz files with it, rebooted, saw on my connected screen that all packages installed, but still only seeing the regular unRaid GUI.

maybe the files got modified when i re-zipped them with GUItar, so i'll try sureguy's suggestion of downloading them with wget...need to pick up some terminal skills anyway.

here's to hoping...will update this post with my results.

Update 9:40am: it just ain't easy when you're a newb to terminal...since i don't have wget installed, i need to download and install it, which requires the "make" command, which i also don't have, so now i'm downloading and installing Xcode...it's one thing after the other...googling for the necessary steps like a wild man...it's one thing after the other :-/

Update 10:15am: i gave up on the seemingly endless series of developer packages i was asked to update and install...it just got too complex for me, and i thought there *must* be an easier way...so i scanned the google code page for links from my "Speed Download" dl manager, and downloaded the tgz files it found that way, then copied them into the extra folder again, rebooted, got a bunch of warnings that the packages weren't created with 'makepkg' (but seemed to be installed anyway), rebooted, saw a weirdly formatted page that didn't look like the regular unRaid GUI, did a command-reload, and voila, it appears that simpleFeatures is running...not sure that i got everything right (i.e. the icon of Utils/System Information/Logs is missing...how do i fix that?), but it looks to be much further along than the old v.04 that i've been running for years...phew!

Update 1:05pm: because it always leaves me feeling defeated when i can't get stuff like "wget" to work properly, i just spent 2hrs inquiring further, and followed the instructions on this page to get the wget command to work: http://osxdaily.com/2012/05/22/install-wget-mac-os-x/

but i had to install Xcode 4.4 and the Command line tools for Mountain Lion first to get that to work...i'll now try to download those tgz files one more time from google code to see whether i can get it to install without any error messages during boot.

Update 1:45pm: just no success with wget...if i copy the URL from the google code page via right-click and "Copy Link", then paste it into my terminal window after wget (i.e. "wget http://code.google.com/p/unraid-simplefeatures/downloads/detail?name=simpleFeatures-v1.0rc2-base-webGUI.tgz&can=2&q=), i end up with a 10kb file in ever case, no matter what the link is...so i ended up going into Firefox, and found that Firefox allows me to download the files with their tgz extension intact...after i re-downloaded them all, deleted the previously downloaded versions from the extra folder on my boot flash, and replaced them with these newly downloaded versions and rebooting, i get the same "Package was not created with 'makepkg' warnings i got before...but they do install and seem to work exactly as my previous attempt...i am still missing the icon for "Logs" in the Utils section, and just found that the "System Profiler" icon also just went missing...it was there initially ("Logs" was not)...is there any way for me to fix that, or is that an error in the install package? (see attached screen shot)

hmmm...the System Profiler icon just came back, and as for the Logs icon, i saw that a bug report has already been posted to the google code site...so just ignore me...staying put.

unRaid-utils.jpg.239520e80ad6f61f609897bd9f7f1fa0.jpg

Simply download using Firefox, or untick the "Open safe files after download" checkbox in the Safari preferences pane. If the files are STILL being uncompressed, chances are they're in your Trash.

If you still cannot manage it, just telnet into the unRAID box, and wget the files from there. Wget is included with unRAID box.

Repeat, there is no need to do anything to the packages. If you're repackaging things you've gone too far!!!!

sleep addon info needed

what happens if i put the wait for array inactivity to "NO"

how will the server determine when to sleep then ?

is there a way to exclude the cache drive from the array inactivity ?

i have crashplan / plex running on the cache drive and it seems they keep my cache drive spinning  a lot.....

so an option to check for inactivity of the array except from the cache drive would be handy ....

anyway to tell the thing to got to sleep from 02:00 AM till 08:00 AM ?

i don't mind much he runs all day but would like him to sleep in the night

basically looking here for the command that the sleep button uses  for the second question on how to get him to sleep at 02:00 Am

guess just putting this in a cron job will do the trick ...

and i can wake it with a cron magic packet from my main pc

thanks, speeding_ant, for clarifying that!

yes, i did end up being able to download the files properly with Firefox and install them successfully...not sure why i wasn't able to make wget work properly for me on my Mac (it kept downloading small 10kb files, rather than the actual files), but next time around i'll try it from the unRaid box via terminal...i really am pretty useless in terminal, so i am sorry if i sounded and acted like a total newb...trying to "tar and shizzle" definitely felt like i had overshot the goal, but i guess that's how we learn...i was able to accomplish the task at hand shortly after with solutions similar to the ones you suggested...

thanks again for your help and excellent work with simpleFeatures!

Installed it today with the folder caching addon. Can I just run it with "default" settings or are there do's and don'ts regarding the first 4 settings: 

Wait until array is online:  No Yes

Force disks busy:  No Yes

Suspend during 'Mover' process:  No Yes

Scan user shares:  No Yes

Will "Scan user shares" have a great impact on scan time and performance?

anyway to change the mover cron to every 8 hours in the webgui ?

in the original i could do that but in the simplefeatures it is not possible ?

Any update on this? I have a 256GB solid state drive as a cache drive, and would love to be able to set the mover to more often then once a day....

Thanks! :)

• Squid locked this topic