"SimpleFeatures" Plugin - Version 1.0.11

I'm not seeing the active streams plugin icon in the GUI. Checking the log shows this:

Feb 25 17:35:46 unRaid logger: Verifying package simpleFeatures.active.streams-1.0.10-i486-1.txz.

Feb 25 17:35:46 unRaid logger: Installing package simpleFeatures.active.streams-1.0.10-i486-1.txz:

Feb 25 17:35:46 unRaid logger: PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

Feb 25 17:35:46 unRaid logger: WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'

Feb 25 17:35:46 unRaid logger: Package simpleFeatures.active.streams-1.0.10-i486-1.txz installed.

Could second to last line have something to do with it?

Rest of the plugins are working.

Are you sure you're looking in the right place?

http://tower/Utils/ActiveStreams

There is no icon to get there in the Utils. Going there directly shows this:

Warning: passthru(): Cannot execute a blank command in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/webGui/template.php on line 441

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the whole story between preclear an SF

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26121.0

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

I don't see any license listed in the preclear script so I find it very childish that Joe is asserting this absolute control over who is alowed to use it.

On the one side we have the simplefeatures guys who made the minor mistake of not asking permission before using it (minor because the script has no clause specifying how it is allowed to be used), trying to improve the current unraid experience. And on the other side we have an unraid respected oldie who sadly wants to limit the use of his contributions to what he seems worthy.

He has lost some of my respect by the way he cursed at them, while they responded in the most civil way by apologizing and removing it.

Bravo to the simple features guys who have done the most in improving the user expedience of unraid.

I hope Joe L realizes eventually that the way he is responding is both counterproductive and damaging to this community as a whole.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I don't see any license listed in the preclear script so I find it very childish that Joe is asserting this absolute control over who is alowed to use it.

On the one side we have the simplefeatures guys who made the minor mistake of not asking permission before using it (minor because the script has no clause specifying how it is allowed to be used), trying to improve the current unraid experience. And on the other side we have an unraid respected oldie who sadly wants to limit the use of his contributions to what he seems worthy.

He has lost some of my respect by the way he cursed at them, while they responded in the most civil way by apologizing and removing it.

Bravo to the simple features guys who have done the most in improving the user expedience of unraid.

I hope Joe L realizes eventually that the way he is responding is both counterproductive and damaging to this community as a whole.

I wholeheartedly agree, there is nothing in the preclear sticky post about how it may be used, joe l might be a long time super member or whatever but he's coming across like a diaper baby.

Joe L I hope if you're reading this you change your mind and let the simple features guys use your script for the good of the unraid community.

I think you're missing the point. The problem is that we can't modify his script, which needs to be supported by someone. I think it's fair to say that we can't support what Joe has written.

I'll try and come up with a fair arrangement with Joe, hopefully we can tack on some nicely written output additions - making everyone happy. We'll see.

I wholeheartedly agree, there is nothing in the preclear sticky post about how it may be used, joe l might be a long time super member or whatever but he's coming across like a diaper baby.

Joe L I hope if you're reading this you change your mind and let the simple features guys use your script for the good of the unraid community.

I respectfully disagree, and here's why...

Joe is incredibly responsive and helpful in his responding to posts from users asking for help interpreting the results of his preclear script.  No matter where the user starts the script, they will almost certainly go the the sticky thread to ask about their results, and Joe is very generous with this time and expertise and responds to those posts very quickly and thoroughly.

The plugin released has modified that script, and although it still seems to work fine, it is still changed, and is not the product that Joe originally created and volunteered to support.  Specifically, the plugin removed the "Are you really sure?" prompt that the original script required the user to answer before they could proceed.  The plugin has tried to make it 'impossible' for the user to bung up their system, and render the "Are you sure?" prompt unnecessary, but if one day someone manages to bung up their system, they will come yelling at Joe for that, not here in this thread.  That's not the least bit fair to Joe, and I believe bonienl and speeding-ant realize that they overstepped a bit in just doing this without conferring with Joe.

It's not that Joe is peeved that his work was 'stolen', more that he's on the hook to support changes he knew nothing about, have circumvented his safety measures and that he wasn't even made aware that it was going to happen.  I believe most developers I've watched/read/followed on the internet are quite willing to allow others to use their work, but it's pretty much accepted that you should at least try to contact them before just using their work.  Joe indicated in the other thread that he would have been willing to not only allow this, but would have helped make it 'right' if he had been contacted about it.  He also made it sound like he'd still be willing to do so, even now.

It sounds like speeding-ant has, or soon will reach out to Joe to find a common and acceptable way forward for the good of the community, and I really hope this happens.  I had installed the plugin, and used the pre-clear script via the Simple Features interface, and was VERY happy that I was able to do so, and with how well it worked.

Hopefully we'll see some good news about this soon, but until then, and even if never, I certainly don't think Joe deserves the negative comments directed his way.

The plugin released has modified that script, and although it still seems to work fine, it is still changed, and is not the product that Joe originally created and volunteered to support.  ...............

It's not that Joe is peeved that his work was 'stolen', more that he's on the hook to support changes he knew nothing about, have circumvented his safety measures and that he wasn't even made aware that it was going to happen.

Sorry, I strongly disagree with this sort of thinking and I am thankful most people also see the nonsense in thinking this way, including Lime. If Lime thought the way you do, then we would have no plugin interface at all.

I highly doubt the simple features plugin directs people to the original support thread (but I admit I have not used it to verify). I'd like to see where you got the idea Joe would be required to provide support to people who did not use his original preclear script.

Sent from my A510 using Tapatalk HD

@xamindar @mostlydave you guys (and any one else who wants to whine about this) are entitled to your opinion but your 110% wrong.

This has to do more than any of you getting or missing out on a pretty icon and being able to view preclear status(es) within SimpleFeatures.

First, besides not reaching out to JoeL to start a discussion about how to go about modifying his script in an accepted and supported matter, a made up version was tacked on. So some venting on his part is MORE THAN UNDERSTANDABLE. Yes there is no license, sticky note blah blah blah (u dip sh^ts). This wasn't taken from here and modified say in a FreeNAS forum. This is a community and JoeL has created outstanding work including preclear for this community. So many of you would have inserted dropped kicked shipped drives and lost data if it wasnt for him, HELLO! Instead you RMA'ed them.

In addition his grip has merit, others have tried modifiying it before and screw things up in the past. It's not a read your CPU temp, oh well that didn't work script. He's also working on an even more amazing update to preclear.

So yes as JoeL stated, he should have opened communicatins (PM) with him along the lines of as an example  "Hey JoeL really would love to add preclear status via SF. As you know the script would need to be modified, I am attaching the script with the modification for your review along with the .plg for testing. Also attached some screenshots for you. What do you think?" JoeL "Thanks, I am actualy in the middle of an update, let me look at it and see what we can do". "First I don't agree with XYZ, secondly I need to be able to support both traditional cmdline users and SF users and there is a better way to handle this, I attached a copy for you, check it out on your end. If this works, I can version it xxx and post it up on my forum with the release notes stating that it now supports status via SF", then you can upload and post annocing to yours. "Thanks Joe, that was pretty cool.". Six months later, JoeL " hey my new preclear on steriods is coming up, I wanted to drop you a copy, make sure its status output is compatible with SF", "Thanks Joe!". OR do you say FU^K IT, i stole it once and did what I wanted and will do the same with the next release.

Kim: Im having a preclear issue

Joe: Really first I hear of this

Dom: Which one the JoeL preclear v1.1.3 or SF preclear v1.x.x

Kim: I dont know?

Joe: Oh thats right there's two

Kim: Huh how is that?

Dom: Long story, pretty messy

Kim: Ok, but what do I do, who can help me?

Dont Sh^T were you eat! And clearly thats why they did the right thing and pulled it out, so not to make a bad thing worse. I for one would not want a riff between JoeL, Speeding_Ant and boniel. And if you read the thread JoeL left it as he CAN open communications with him. So yeah maybe bonienl wants to take a break or deep breath or whatever... and will come back around with this on JoeL's terms which is for the greater good (this is your drives and data people).

We don't all agree on everything but this is way different, respect and some space needs to be given to these parties to make things right, not demands as to why, or sh^ty comments.

You want to b^tch go complain to Tom for 5.0 Final. You paid him!

@xamindar @mostlydave you guys (and any one else who wants to whine about this) are entitled to your opinion but your 110% wrong.

This has to do more than any of you getting or missing out on a pretty icon and being able to view preclear status(es) within SimpleFeatures.

First, besides not reaching out to JoeL to start a discussion about how to go about modifying his script in an accepted and supported matter, a made up version was tacked on. So some venting on his part is MORE THAN UNDERSTANDABLE. Yes there is no license, sticky note blah blah blah (u dip sh^ts). This wasn't taken from here and modified say in a FreeNAS forum. This is a community and JoeL has created outstanding work including preclear for this community. So many of you would have inserted dropped kicked shipped drives and lost data if it wasnt for him, HELLO! Instead you RMA'ed them.

In addition his grip has merit, others have tried modifiying it before and screw things up in the past. It's not a read your CPU temp, oh well that didn't work script. He's also working on an even more amazing update to preclear.

So yes as JoeL stated, he should have opened communicatins (PM) with him along the lines of as an example  "Hey JoeL really would love to add preclear status via SF. As you know the script would need to be modified, I am attaching the script with the modification for your review along with the .plg for testing. Also attached some screenshots for you. What do you think?" JoeL "Thanks, I am actualy in the middle of an update, let me look at it and see what we can do". "First I don't agree with XYZ, secondly I need to be able to support both traditional cmdline users and SF users and there is a better way to handle this, I attached a copy for you, check it out on your end. If this works, I can version it xxx and post it up on my forum with the release notes stating that it now supports status via SF", then you can upload and post annocing to yours. "Thanks Joe, that was pretty cool.". Six months later, JoeL " hey my new preclear on steriods is coming up, I wanted to drop you a copy, make sure its status output is compatible with SF", "Thanks Joe!". OR do you say FU^K IT, i stole it once and did what I wanted and will do the same with the next release.

Dont Sh^T were you eat! And clearly thats why they did the right thing and pulled it out, so not to make a bad thing worse. I for one would not want a riff between JoeL, Speeding_Ant and boniel. And if you read the thread JoeL left it as he CAN open communications with him. So yeah maybe bonienl wants to take a break or deep breath or whatever... and will come back around with this on JoeL's terms which is for the greater good (this is your drives and data people).

We don't all agree on everything but this is way different, respect and some space needs to be given to these parties to make things right, not demands as to why, or sh^ty comments.

You want to b^tch go complain to Tom for 5.0 Final. You paid him!

Please, no more ranting on this thread. Yes, opening communication with JoeL is what SHOULD have happened. In this case, it did not. I'm not one to pass the blame, so I won't. I started the simpleFeatures plugins, I am still responsible for it.

I have opened conversation with JoeL in an open manner, hopefully he will reciprocate. If not, I'm sorry everyone. Give us lots of money and we'll make something else.

I'd like to see where you got the idea Joe would be required to provide support to people who did not use his original preclear script.

I don't believe I said JoeL would be "required" to support anything.  However, if you run preclear, no matter how you did it, you're 99% likely to post the results (and your questions about them) in the sticky thread titled "Preclear.sh results - Questions about your results? Post them here.", which JoeL does monitor and support.

So, no, he's not 'required' to support those posts, but any problems with preclear will very likely be reported there.  If the modified script had caused problems, JoeL would be the one most likely to get stuck dealing with those problems.

I'm not blaming anyone, or wanting to continue this discussion, and this is my last word on the matter.  I just felt that needed to be cleared up.

thank you again bonienl, speeding-ant, JoeL and everyone else who has had a part in making Simple Features, pre-clear, and unRAID a great program, and these forums a nice place to spend some of my free time.  I really do appreciate the hard work everyone contributes around here.

I'd like to see where you got the idea Joe would be required to provide support to people who did not use his original preclear script.

I don't believe I said JoeL would be "required" to support anything.  However, if you run preclear, no matter how you did it, you're 99% likely to post the results (and your questions about them) in the sticky thread titled "Preclear.sh results - Questions about your results? Post them here.", which JoeL does monitor and support.

So, no, he's not 'required' to support those posts, but any problems with preclear will very likely be reported there.  If the modified script had caused problems, JoeL would be the one most likely to get stuck dealing with those problems.

I'm not blaming anyone, or wanting to continue this discussion, and this is my last word on the matter.  I just felt that needed to be cleared up.

thank you again bonienl, speeding-ant, JoeL and everyone else who has had a part in making Simple Features, pre-clear, and unRAID a great program, and these forums a nice place to spend some of my free time.  I really do appreciate the hard work everyone contributes around here.

Thanks Justin,  +1

The plugin released has modified that script, and although it still seems to work fine, it is still changed, and is not the product that Joe originally created and volunteered to support.  ...............

It's not that Joe is peeved that his work was 'stolen', more that he's on the hook to support changes he knew nothing about, have circumvented his safety measures and that he wasn't even made aware that it was going to happen.

Sorry, I strongly disagree with this sort of thinking and I am thankful most people also see the nonsense in thinking this way, including Lime. If Lime thought the way you do, then we would have no plugin interface at all.

I highly doubt the simple features plugin directs people to the original support thread (but I admit I have not used it to verify). I'd like to see where you got the idea Joe would be required to provide support to people who did not use his original preclear script.

First off there is no plugin interface the plugin manager that was promised never came about (as it stand right now).

See this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=19790.msg175898#msg175898

Guess where all the questions, complains all went? Check JoeL's support thread, they all went there.

And as upset as he was, he still helped everyone. So go and try to taint him some more...

I understand it's pretty easy for you to want what YOU want, and have others deal with what becomes of it. After all you must have donated to JoeL and SF and written some scripts and plugins of your own or at the very least pitch in. Wait, what's that u say?

Re: CPU temps. I don't think Bonienl realised how much work this would be. Kernel modules are required to be loaded and everyone runs different hardware.

Give him some time, I'm sure he'll sort it out.

What about providing some kind of config page for this? Maybe a way we can run sensors -u or whatever and then decide for ourselves which part is the right temp to use?

You are right about the kernel modules and different hardware thing. I even had to compile my own module for the fan sensors on my machine because not many sensor modules are included with unraid.

Re: CPU temps. I don't think Bonienl realised how much work this would be. Kernel modules are required to be loaded and everyone runs different hardware.

Give him some time, I'm sure he'll sort it out.

What about providing some kind of config page for this? Maybe a way we can run sensors -u or whatever and then decide for ourselves which part is the right temp to use?

You are right about the kernel modules and different hardware thing. I even had to compile my own module for the fan sensors on my machine because not many sensor modules are included with unraid.

Will do - will talk through what is possible first. The 'safe' setup perl script output gives you sample code for loading the required modules. This means we could load this automatically on boot, and it was designed this way for "mass deployments".

I just changed my email preferences and that froze up the main webgui which is now unresponsive. I have had issues before, never before 1.0.11. The syslog does not seem to show anything special.

What happens is that I take an  action in the gui, that freezes the gui untill a timeout appears, from that moment on the core webgui will no longer show any pages, sofar the weird thing is that the powerdown command from telnet will still work, that means that emhttp is still active, so something else dies off giving this effect..

error message:

Fout 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): Er heeft een time-out voor de bewerking plaatsgevonden.

Also: In what sequence are the simplefeatures and other plugins loaded ?  I just noticed that my spotweb is no longer available, most probably due to the webserver not running (not the core one, the other one). After installing everything by hand this worked and after reboot now it seems as it does not. Must be sequence then I guess.. How can I move a specific plugin to "last" or "first " ?

syslog26022013.zip

I think this has been mentioned by others but both myself and a friend have teh same issue.

If we view the Stats page, it takes a long time to navigate back to any other page (IE just spins) and in some cases IE times out.  We have to close the browser session and open a new one to get back to the Main page.  Navigation between all other pages works fine.

Also, on first visit to the Stats page, both Disk Stats and System Stats are displayed (and overlap slightly).  Is this by design or should only Disk Stats be displayed?

Can someone else confirm?

John

Please, stop venting in this thread.

Problem has gone away.

Apologies, i wasn't my intention when I posted the link but feel I opened Pandora's box.

I have too much respect to all members that collaborate with their free time, time is precisely what I don't have

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I think this has been mentioned by others but both myself and a friend have teh same issue.

If we view the Stats page, it takes a long time to navigate back to any other page (IE just spins) and in some cases IE times out.  We have to close the browser session and open a new one to get back to the Main page.  Navigation between all other pages works fine.

Also, on first visit to the Stats page, both Disk Stats and System Stats are displayed (and overlap slightly).  Is this by design or should only Disk Stats be displayed?

Can someone else confirm?

John

I don't have this problem with stats, but the syslog viewer is painfully slow. It pegs one of my CPU cores to 100%, locking up that tab in Chrome, until it's done rendering (30-60 seconds). Same thing happened on 1.05 too. FWIW, my log is 3800 lines long. Choosing a shorter log is faster of course.

Also, seems like it's about time to split this thread up into more manageable ones. Or maybe there should be a new thread with each new version? Actually, probably the best thing would be a separate SimpleFeatures subforum.

As an aside, having "user customizations" and "plugin design" be separate, but so similar, makes no sense any more.

Also, seems like it's about time to split this thread up into more manageable ones. Or maybe there should be a new thread with each new version? Actually, probably the best thing would be a separate SimpleFeatures subforum.

As an aside, having "user customizations" and "plugin design" be separate, but so similar, makes no sense any more.

+1

At the least, limit the plugin forum to discussions about plug-in design and plug-in manager design (i.e. nuts and bolts being discussed by developers).  Otherwise all other topics (plug-in announcement, support, and request threads) go into user customization.

As for Simple Features ... frankly it would be wise to have a topic for each individual SF feature.  It would make them way more managable.  If they were given their own set of sub-forums, that might be nice (but probably not really needed).  But for the time being, break them out into their own treads would be nice.

PS: and unless there is a real over riding need, version numbers should be decoupled for each of the functions.  As it is, I see that the ".11" package has internal to it two different versions.  How do I know when a ".10" version is upgraded to ".11" since it won't bump the entire package version?  OR will it?  And then I have to go check to see if any of the ".11"s were incremented ...

Sorry, but  I still cannot get the sleep script to work. Any ideas for how to troubleshoot it? It doesn't even work when I start it from the commandline myself with the parameters -a -c -m60. Any advice?

Same here. I'll post more details when I get back however I followed the BIOS setup, batch script and other instructions on the SF wiki & cannot get the system to sleep from the command prompt (I'm getting the /proc/acpi/sleep: No such file or directory error). I CAN get it to sleep through SF but get no response when running the batch script (modified for my system) with the WOL.exe. I have to do a manual wake from the power button (which also leaves me without access to the web GUI & have to do a hard re-start) I 'm using my Asus board which, after doing a few searches on the forums, read was causing problems, however I bought an Intel PCI 1000 card and which worked for others with the same board and am getting the same results.

• Squid locked this topic