"SimpleFeatures" Plugin - Version 1.0.11

FYI, uninstall the temp plugin to stop this issue.

We are having slow parity speeds with version 1.0.5 on rc12, NOT with the 1.0.11 version.

I understand this 1.0.5 version does not poll for temps? There is no separate temp plugin.

Sf 1.0.5 on unraid rc5 is working ok, 1.0.5 on unraid rc12 is slow.

That would indicate an issue with unRAID (kernel changes, MD driver change, so on....), not simpleFeatures.

We do NOT poll drives in the background, there is no reason for parity speeds to be slow with simpleFeatures, as it's a web based plugin. The core simpleFeatures plugin in simply a skin for the primary GUI, with some additional back-end smarts and libraries (completely separate from unRAID core functions). The simpleFeatures core plugin isn't a Plex, Transmission or SABnzbd, there is no background process running that magically causes I/O slowdown.

The simpleFeatures plugins that may cause I/O slowdown while parity check is running are as follows:

• Email notification - this will poll drives for SMART information. By default this will poll every hour, very unlikely to cause any significant interruption to your parity check.
  • iTunes Server - scanning your music library will use I/O by traversing through your music library every time it detects changes.
  • Cache dirs - I presume this will also cause additional I/O.

The stats plugin has been thoroughly tested. This does not cause slowdowns and runs a well tested open source stat collection library (sar).

The only issue we've found is polling for temperatures in the GUI, and only with the temp plugin. And that only slows down I/O while you're looking at the GUI, traverse away from the GUI and you'll be running at full speed.

I'd suggest tracking down the other plugins you may be running as well, take a look at see what plugins are accessing your array. A combination of active plugins will cause slowdowns - but it's unlikely to be simpleFeatures core.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stated this could be an unraid issue in the rc12 thread but i was told being stupid, arrogant and annoying for even thinking it could be unraid related.. i am hoping you could test this yourself and contact tom if needed.

I can replicate the behaviour over and over. I have dropbox, sabnzb, sickbeard, squeezeserver and apcups plugins installed, but i can disable them, does not make any difference. I have also tested without the plugins, so "bare metal" same behaviour.

So i have a choice, if i want to keep using simplefeatures, i have to use rc5.

If i want to keep up with unraids releases, i can not use simplefeatures...

I am running rc11 with sf 1.0.5 and parity speed of 145mb/s though i tried sf 1.0.11 it goes down at 60mb/s so i downgraded to 1.0.5

Here's another one. And there are more reports like this.

I've stated this could be an unraid issue in the rc12 thread but i was told being stupid, arrogant and annoying for even thinking it could be unraid related.. i am hoping you could test this yourself and contact tom if needed.

That person in particular was running the temp plugin, thankfully we found that particular issue.

While we're at it, another effect that suprised me was this, maybe its related:

I was running rc5 with sf 1.0.5, copied the rc12 files to upgrade, and restarted.

Parity speed was terrible.

So i replaced both files with the rc5 ones, rebooted again, so i was running rc5 with sf 1.0.5 again.

Parity speed... also was terrible now!

i had to remove simplefeatures, reboot, and reinstall simplefeatures to get normal speeds on rc5 as well.

Did you manage to test just the core plugin and see what the results were?

I could do that.

So just the core plugin, and all extra plugins disabled or not running??

Ensure you get a syslog for each step.

1. Set a baseline of your parity check speed with no plugins installed. I'd recommend running parity check for 30 minutes, getting the speed each 5 minutes and averaging it.

2. Install just the core simpleFeatures plugin. Test parity check speed in the same way.

If OK, install one plugin at a time, taking time to test parity check speeds.

That would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

It is possible, but i know rc5/1.0.5, even with all sf plugins and extra plugins like sab/sick/dropbox/slim/apc etc does parity check speeds as high as the throughput of the disks themselves (>160MB/s), it's the maximum possible result.

I'll do the tests with the latest as you advise, but for reference purposes i will do above as well.

Tried the itunes server plugin.  The sqlite component is no longer available.  I did manage to find the slackware package online and change the md5 as I just wanted to have a play around, but thought you'd want to know.

Great work by the way, love the look and functionality and especially the "modular" design.

Testresults for rc12a / rc12a /w SF 1.0.11.

(not 100% baremetal, unmenu was installed on both tests)

Test number 1.

First i tested parity speeds on a stock rc12a, no SimpleFeatures, no other SF plugins, no 3rd party plugins, only unmenu.

I've started a parity check and checked the average speed every 5 minutes, for about 30 minutes.

In this case, the values shown by the stock gui are pretty much the same as within unmenu.

minute: speed MB/s

0: 166 MB/s

5: 155 MB/s

10: 155 MB/s

15: 152 MB/s

20: 145 MB/s

25: 143 MB/s

30: 142 MB/s

Test number 2.

This is unraid rc12a with only the SimpleFeatures 1.0.11 core component installed. No other SF plugins, no 3rd party plugins. System was rebooted.

I've started the parcheck and waited for unmenu to give a stable reading (right column) after that i switched

to SimpleFeatures and refreshed the page a few times so it would give a stable reading (left column).

Notice that refreshing the SF gui makes the parity speed drop about 50%... switching to unmenu shows the same low speed.

Closing the SF tab and watching unmenu, the speed is back to 100% in about 10-20 seconds.

minute SF MB/s UM MB/s

0: 98 MB/s 162 MB/s

5: 85 MB/s 155 MB/s

10: 85 MB/s 152 MB/s

15: 82 MB/s 150 MB/s

20: 72 MB/s 149 MB/s

25: 73 MB/s 148 MB/s

30: 71 MB/s 145 MB/s

Also, if you take a look at the syslog, there are some disturbing CPU stall errors... dont know if that is related.

Needles to say i am not going to test with others plugins, the core component itself is somehow disturbing the parity check speed, is my conclusion at the moment.

syslog-2013-03-24_rc12a_no_SF_no_plugins.txt.zip

syslog-2013-03-24_rc12_SF_core_1.0.11_no_plugins.txt.zip

Hello guys,

didn't play around with my Unraid-server for quite some time now and upgraded to rc12a today.

I have no idea what SimpleFeatures-version I am running, should I just delete all SF-related and re-install again or is there a way to find out which version I am running?

Thanks in advance

Hello guys,

didn't play around with my Unraid-server for quite some time now and upgraded to rc12a today.

I have no idea what SimpleFeatures-version I am running, should I just delete all SF-related and re-install again or is there a way to find out which version I am running?

Thanks in advance

Check in /boot/config/plugins. If you have simplefeatures *.plg files there then you are using an older version. The new versions should be installed in /boot/plugins. See first post of this thread.

Thanks, crap I just replaced the PLGs there (/boot/config/plugins). I want to do a clean re-install of SF, which files should I delete?

Can all PLG-files be put in /boot/plugins now or only the ones that were made for the new unraid plugin system?

Thanks, crap I just replaced the PLGs there (/boot/config/plugins). I want to do a clean re-install of SF, which files should I delete?

Can all PLG-files be put in /boot/plugins now or only the ones that were made for the new unraid plugin system?

As far as I know all plg files are for unRAID v5 plugin system. As of now, only the simplefeatures plugins should be put in /boot/plugins. All others are still installed in /boot/config/plugins

I upgraded with no problems. I'm not sure what might have changed.  Check your log for errors. You could try going back.

Hello dmacias - haven't tried rolling back yet, but here is the piece of the syslog shoing the SF temp plugin being installed.  Note the gui does show the icons so it's installed. It just doesn't read the temps.

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: | Installing new package /boot/plugins/simpleFeatures/simpleFeatures.system.temp-1.0.11-i486-1.txz

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: +==============================================================================

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger:

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: Verifying package simpleFeatures.system.temp-1.0.11-i486-1.txz.

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: Installing package simpleFeatures.system.temp-1.0.11-i486-1.txz:

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: Package simpleFeatures.system.temp-1.0.11-i486-1.txz installed.

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: success

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger:  file /boot/plugins/simpleFeatures/simpleFeatures.system.temp.png: already exists

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger:  file /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/simpleFeatures.diskHealth/images/diskhealth.png: already exists

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger:  file /tmp/plugin-cleanup: successfully wrote INLINE file contents

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger:  /bin/bash /tmp/plugin-cleanup ... success

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger:  file /tmp/plugin-install: successfully wrote INLINE file contents

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger:  /bin/bash /tmp/plugin-install ... executing !

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: -----------------------------------------------------------

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: SimpleFeatures 'system.temp' has been installed.

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: This plugin requires SimpleFeatures core webGUI to operate

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: Copyright 2012, Bergware International & Andrew Hamer-Adams

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: Version: 1.0.11

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: -----------------------------------------------------------

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger: success

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger:  file /var/log/plugins/simpleFeatures.system.temp: successfully wrote INLINE file contents

Mar 23 15:13:47 Tower logger:  plugin successfully installed

here is my GO file:

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

#Update Sensors

cp /boot/custom/sensors.d/sensors.conf /etc/sensors.d

modprobe w83627ehf

Herei s a copy of my sensors.conf: (located at /boot/custom/sensors.d/)

#

# sample configuration for the Fintek f71882fg for MSI X58 Pro (7522-040R,

# like seen in Hetzner's EQ6 servers). To load the driver module, append a

# single line (without the #) to /etc/modules:

# f71882fg

#

chip "w83627ehf-*"

# never change the in0, in7 and in8 compute, these are hardwired in the chip!

compute in0 (@ * 2), (@ / 2)

compute in2 (@ * 2), (@ / 2)

compute in3 (@ * 2), (@ / 2)

compute in4 (@ * 5.25), (@ / 5.25)

compute in5 (@ * 11), (@ / 11)

compute in6 (@ * 5.25), (@ / 5.25)

compute in7 (@ * 2), (@ / 2)

compute in8 (@ * 2), (@ / 2)

# Temperature

# cpu temp is about 35 deg celsius (linux, idle)

label temp1 "CPU Temp"

set temp1_max 70

set temp1_crit 80

# the IOH runs rather hot, even with an idle system 60..65 deg celsius

# are seen. DO NOT ACTIVATE CPU SMART FAN OR IT WILL GET EVEN HOTTER!

label temp2 "MB Temp"

set temp2_max 80

set temp2_crit 90

# system is about 40 deg celsius (linux, idle)

label temp3 "System"

set temp3_max 50

set temp3_crit 55

# Fans

# value (CPU smart fan disabled!) is about 2300 rpm (linux, idle)

label fan1 "CPU"

ignore fan2

# value is about 2200 rpm (linux, idle)

label fan3 "System2"

ignore fan4

# Voltage

label in0 "3.3V"

label in1 "Vcore"

# BIOS (loaded) in1 == 1.25V

# linux idle in1 == 1.05V (?)

set in1_max 1.35

ignore in2

ignore in3

label in4 "+5V"

label in5 "12V"

ignore in6

label in7 "3VSB"

label in8 "Battery"

I have confirmed the GO file did the copy of the sensors.conf file because it exists in boot/etc/sensors.d/ directory.

I also confirmed the "modprobe w83627ehf" command does not give errors when run.  That said, I wasn't able to locate these two GO file commands in the syslog.

I don't understand why going to rc12a and doing a reboot would cause the temps to stop showing up.

Just installed Unraid RC12a and deleted all my SimpleFeatures*.plg from my flash drive but I guess I shouldn't have done that but at reboot the console gui was all messed up. I finally ended up putting them back in /boot/config/plugins and everything is back to normal (except with rc12a) so I guess I'm still using the old SF. My temperature still isn't showing up correctly, or maybe it wasn't meant to be fixed in this rc.

Thanks

Testresults for rc12a / rc12a /w SF 1.0.11.

(not 100% baremetal, unmenu was installed on both tests)

Test number 1.

First i tested parity speeds on a stock rc12a, no SimpleFeatures, no other SF plugins, no 3rd party plugins, only unmenu.

I've started a parity check and checked the average speed every 5 minutes, for about 30 minutes.

In this case, the values shown by the stock gui are pretty much the same as within unmenu.

minute: speed MB/s

0: 166 MB/s

5: 155 MB/s

10: 155 MB/s

15: 152 MB/s

20: 145 MB/s

25: 143 MB/s

30: 142 MB/s

Test number 2.

This is unraid rc12a with only the SimpleFeatures 1.0.11 core component installed. No other SF plugins, no 3rd party plugins. System was rebooted.

I've started the parcheck and waited for unmenu to give a stable reading (right column) after that i switched

to SimpleFeatures and refreshed the page a few times so it would give a stable reading (left column).

Notice that refreshing the SF gui makes the parity speed drop about 50%... switching to unmenu shows the same low speed.

Closing the SF tab and watching unmenu, the speed is back to 100% in about 10-20 seconds.

minute SF MB/s UM MB/s

0: 98 MB/s 162 MB/s

5: 85 MB/s 155 MB/s

10: 85 MB/s 152 MB/s

15: 82 MB/s 150 MB/s

20: 72 MB/s 149 MB/s

25: 73 MB/s 148 MB/s

30: 71 MB/s 145 MB/s

Also, if you take a look at the syslog, there are some disturbing CPU stall errors... dont know if that is related.

Needles to say i am not going to test with others plugins, the core component itself is somehow disturbing the parity check speed, is my conclusion at the moment.

Hi Jowi,

Thanks for doing that testing. I'm of two minds, but will need to do some serious investigation. No way should a PHP function cause cpu stalls.

Either  way, thankfully you've proved that the speed is the same unless you view the web gui. Unless you are refreshing the GUI for 8 hours straight you won't see a huge difference.

I'll need to review the code to inspect what changes might be causing this slowdown. Whatever it will be, IT IS NOT DANGEROUS. It will simply be something that causes I/O interruption, something that browsing a share while parity check is running will do as well.

• Squid locked this topic