Enabling Intel QuickSync for Plex!

Chris_75

Good evening everyone,

I've recently discovered to joy of using Unraid and have set up a new server - mainly for my Plex account but will use for other things too eventually. In order to do this, I bought a z390 mb and 6900k chip to run quicksync transcoding.

But I can't get the thing to work.

I have followed tutorials online doing the following:

• downloaded and installed intel gpu plugin and verified it is working with cd /dev/dri and get card0 render0128
  • installed the official Plex docker (I have Plex Pass)
  • checked the box in settings that says to use HW acceleration

Plex works beautifully, but when I'm transcoding, it isn't using hardware - 

PLEASE can someone help?

Thank you all so much for your time with this.

Assuming you have a CPU that does have an iGPU have you told the Plex docker container to use the iGPU?

Something like --device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri in Extra Parameters or /dev/dri as a container device?

I use a different Plex docker container, but I assume Plex Official container needs something similar.

If this is setup correctly it will show in the docker run command (like at the end of this example):

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='Plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Denver" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='latest' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e '100'='100' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Pictures/':'/pictures':'rw' -v '/tmp/PlexRamScratch':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TVShows/':'/tv':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/OtherVids/':'/other':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Music/':'/music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/FamVideos/':'/famvids':'rw' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/Plex/':'/config':'rw' --device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri 'linuxserver/plex'

Edited by Hoopster
5 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Assuming you have a CPU that does have an iGPU have you told the Plex docker container to use the iGPU?

Something like --device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri in Extra Parameters or /dev/dri as a container device?

I use a different Plex docker container, but I assume Plex Official container needs something similar.

If this is setup correctly it will show in the docker run command (like at the end of this example):

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='Plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Denver" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='latest' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e '100'='100' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Pictures/':'/pictures':'rw' -v '/tmp/PlexRamScratch':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TVShows/':'/tv':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/OtherVids/':'/other':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Music/':'/music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/FamVideos/':'/famvids':'rw' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/Plex/':'/config':'rw' --device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri 'linuxserver/plex'

Thank you (and David279) for replying.

Firstly, there was a typo with the chip - I should have said 9600k which I believe does have igpu.

when I add the bit in extra parameters, Something like --device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri in Extra Parameters or /dev/dri as a container device

and then apply, it crashes and says that docker /dev/dri is not an absolute path.

Then I have to reinstall the docker and remove the additional path just to be able to run the container at all.

I have looked at using the linuxserver docker as used in the video guide but on the 1st step in the video, there are some options in the docker to choose the intel quicksync but when I load that docker, they don't appear.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much.

Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 06.26.54.png

Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 06.23.21.png

Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 06.26.17.png

Edited by Chris_75
9 hours ago, Chris_75 said:

it crashes and says that docker /dev/dri is not an absolute path.

Then I have to reinstall the docker and remove the additional path just to be able to run the container at all.

You have verified that you have a /dev/dri folder on the server and that it has the appropriate contents?

image.png.8ce243ea8afb9275ac71009f632f5c8b.png

If this does not exist as seen above, any Plex docker will fail to start since you are passing it a device it cannot find.

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

You have verified that you have a /dev/dri folder on the server and that it has the appropriate contents?

image.png.8ce243ea8afb9275ac71009f632f5c8b.png

If this does not exist as seen above, any Plex docker will fail to start since you are passing it a device it cannot find.

Hmm, I really don't know.plex.png.54d4d6ec7d9ae9357fe52951efb07d9e.png

I went through the steps in the guide and got this (see image) but whether that means there is the folder with appropriate contents...I think so??

2 minutes ago, Chris_75 said:

that means there is the folder with appropriate contents

Yes.  /dev/dri folder is there and has the appropriate contents.  That's an important step.

I use the linuxserver.io Plex container and I added /dev/dri as a device in Extra Parameters (as indicated in my first post in this thread).  HW transcode all works as it should.

What version of unRAID are you running?

22 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Yes.  /dev/dri folder is there and has the appropriate contents.  That's an important step.

I use the linuxserver.io Plex container and I added /dev/dri as a device in Extra Parameters (as indicated in my first post in this thread).  HW transcode all works as it should.

What version of unRAID are you running?

Thanks

I'm using 6.9.2 (trial)

I have been looking at using the linuxserver.io instead but on the videos I've seen, when they're setting it up there is a bit at the beginning to click on for intel quicksync1533634006_intelbit.thumb.png.b11a8c46a959e2be1218f8554323be89.png but when I try using the same container it isn't there - what am i doing wrong!143914510_nointelbit.thumb.png.6681de305c517ce836685101ea04ed4c.png

Thanks again for your help - I really do appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, Chris_75 said:

there is a bit at the beginning to click on for intel

image.png.4e139b0cd9de5f36fc3af22fb6476478.png

This is just instructional text telling you how to set up the container to use with and Nvidia GPU (with the plugin) or the iGPU in an Intel CPU. 

Since you are on version 6.9.2 of unRAID it is best to not use the go file modprobe i915 method.  The i915 drivers are blacklisted by default unless you tell unRAID to use them.

If you have not already done so, start a terminal session from the unRAID GUI and type the following

touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

This will create a 0 byte (no content is needed) i915.conf file in the config/modprobe.d folder on your flash drive.  This tells unRAID to use the i915 drivers.

image.png.e0ad080916dc1a0a62c6be8438cbc193.png

4 hours ago, Chris_75 said:

but when I try using the same container it isn't there - what am i doing wrong!

LSIO has changed the description they used to include.  If you click on the ReadMe First either within CA (Support) or after it's installed by clicking on the icon, the same directions will show up

• Like 1