I messed up Bad...I changed all appdata permissions

rbh00723

Each and every app's appdata may have it's own unique permission and ownership requirements within it's appdata share.  Changing the ownership may adversely affect the ability of the app to operate.

Your best bet would be on anything that doesn't work to set it's permissions on all files to be 0777 and hope for the best.  If that doesn't work, you would have to ask in the individual app's support threads and hope for the best.  Personally, I'd just start over again on setting up the app if possible as it may be faster at the end of the day.

As an aside, this is the entire reason for the "Docker Safe New Permissions" tool being present with Fix Common Problems as it specifically excludes the appdata share

• Like 1
Each and every app's appdata may have it's own unique permission and ownership requirements within it's appdata share.  Changing the ownership may adversely affect the ability of the app to operate.

Your best bet would be on anything that doesn't work to set it's permissions on all files to be 0777 and hope for the best.  If that doesn't work, you would have to ask in the individual app's support threads and hope for the best.  Personally, I'd just start over again on setting up the app if possible as it may be faster at the end of the day.

As an aside, this is the entire reason for the "Docker Safe New Permissions" tool being present with Fix Common Problems as it specifically excludes the appdata share
So I have been racking by brain about it...I though what if I move everything out of appdata, then go out and reinstall a fresh copy of each container, then see what it perms and ownership get set to then make all those changes to each of the previously copied folders then move them back into the actual appdata folder so I don't loose all my configs and plex meta data and stuff...I have worked really hard (for me anyway) to get everything set up just right...I would hate to have to redo it all.

Also squid may I have permission to PM you regarding this?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Here's the problem.  I most likely do not run the same containers etc as you do.  And additionally I don't really have the time to start going through file by file in the various apps to determine what permission / ownership belongs to which file.  You first have to determine what works and what doesn't with the trashed permissions.  Your idea of installing to a separate appdata share is reasonable and as good a place as any to begin

Something like this is best left on the forum where the most amount of eyes can get a hold of it.  More eyes (including @JonathanM :) ) would be able to help you attempt the recovery.

Personally, for my use case on the containers which I run it's easier just to start the appdata over again

9 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Have you started each container to see what works and what doesn't? Some containers probably won't care, so no need to fuss over it if it works.

So at the moment none of the containers works each one of them says Execution error : Bad Parameters ( I assumed it was because of the permissions/ownership issue)  Am I incorrect about this? How do I check logs regarding the error in more detail. 

2 hours ago, rbh00723 said:

So at the moment none of the containers works each one of them says Execution error : Bad Parameters

Instead of trying to do everything at once, I'd advise working with one at a time, rename the appdata folder for the most important container, see if it starts properly with a blank slate. It's possible we are dealing with something else, and the permissions are a red herring.

Do you have backups of appdata anywhere? Maybe old copies?

Why was the change made? Were you trying to fix something that wasn't working prior?