Feedback on my unraid build spec

FluXs

Hi Guys,

I currently have a custom built WHS but it has started to fail (software issues) this however; along with recent performance and capacity issues have steered me towards unRAID!

I intend to use this machine to replace the WHS which was used for streaming movies and holding data. I hope to locate this server in the loft next to my gigabit switch.

Initially I will use 6 of the 8 onboard SATAII/III ports. I prefer not to kit out the machine with 2TB drives as I want to leave room for 3TB drives once unRAID supports these. When I max out the on-board SATA ports I will then look into an expansion card for the remaining 8 drive bays; also I cannot afford to fill it up straight away :P

(Both the drive trays and motherboard support 3TB drives)

Originally I was going to use only WD Black drives, but after reading the forums, the black drives don’t seem a popular choice, so I will go with the green drives if people find the streaming performance of these is acceptable (my WHS has green drives but is struggling to stream large movies) Its main purpose will be to serve a HTPC running XBMC in the front/living room.

I have gone for a new MB and CPU to future proof them if the need arises to utilise them elsewhere.

I would appreciate any advice on the list of parts I am intending to use:

Motherboard:

Asus P8P67 R3 Socket 1155 USB 3.0 Bluetooth 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67/#overview

CPU:

Intel Core i3 2100T 2.5GHz Socket 1155 3MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Memory:

G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333Mhz Ripjaws Memory Kit CL8 (8-8-8-21) 1.5V

PSU:

Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 600W Modular PSU

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6657

Flash Drive:

SuperTalent SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Pendrive - 8GB

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-supertalent-st3u8edb-superspeed-usb30-express-duo-read-67-(mb-s)-write-25-(mb-s)

(it has USB 3 onboard, so might as well make use of it)  :D

Hard Drives:

6x Western Digital Black 2TB 64mb Cache (WD2002FAEX) – 1xParity/1xCache/4xStorage

Or...

1x Western Digital Black 2TB 64mb Cache (WD2002FAEX) - Parity

5x Western Digital Green 2TB 64MB Cache (WD20EARS) – 1xCache/4xStorage

Drive Trays:

4x iStar-USA BPN-DE340SS 4 Drive Trayless (In 3 x 5.25 Bays) Hotswap System (Blue)

http://www.istarusa.com/istarusa/products.php?series=HDDCage⊂=SATA/%20SAS&model=BPN-DE340SS

Case:

Antec Full Tower Twelve Hundred Retail Case - Black

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=Njkz&lan=us

UPS:

APC Smart-UPS 750 LCD UPS AC 230 V 500 Watt 750 VA RS-232, USB 6 Output Connector(s)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/226815

Misc cables:

SATA Cables:

8x Scan SATA Cable Straight to Straight Connectors SATA I/II with Locking Latches

UPS Power Cable:

1x CablesToGo, Kettle Lead Extension Cable - 1 Metre (To go from PSU to UPS)

Network Cable:

1x Plexus Cat6 Snagless UTP Patch Cable (Blue)

I also made a mock-up of what it might look like (see attachment)

Thanks in advance,

servercase2.png.4dcbab48ecbcb92d541cb1429a312b33.png

It's a beauty!

Definitely go with the green drives.  That psu can handle up to 20 green drives.  Good future proofing and energy miser.  unRAID will use maybe 3% of one of the cores so lots of extra processing for add ons.

I assume you are going with the 4x3 cage instead of the 5x3 cage because you want trayless? It does limit your overall build to 16 drives instead of 20. I noticed initially you say you are going to use 6 drives to start. Why purchase all four cages to start? Just buy 2 for now. When you need more, buy them then. Hopefully prices will have even come down a bit and maybe there be even something better out. :)

BTW - I like the pic!

Shawn

I assume you are going with the 4x3 cage instead of the 5x3 cage because you want trayless? It does limit your overall build to 16 drives instead of 20.

iStarUSA do produce the BPN-350 (5 in 3), but the BPN-340 may have advantages (more robust, better ventilation etc).

I noticed initially you say you are going to use 6 drives to start. Why purchase all four cages to start? Just buy 2 for now. When you need more, buy them then. Hopefully prices will have even come down a bit and maybe there be even something better out.

Perhaps for uniformity!

I would comment on the drive size, though.  If the plan really is to use 3TB drives, why not purchase the 3TB now and simply downsize them to 2.2TB until 3TB support is added to unRAID?

thanks for the feedback guys,

My preference so far is for the BPN-340's, they look nice, seem well built, they support 3TB and have SATA power ports instead of molex which is nice. I would note that there is a lack of reviews for them (I cant find any) so would be nice to hear from someone who has already used them (or is this going to be me? :P )

Why purchase all four cages to start?

Uniformity is correct, I would prefer to get these installed now. The standard SAS card everyone uses is out of stock on Scan (due 6th May) so I might even get that at the same time so its all ready to go.

why not purchase the 3TB now and simply downsize them to 2.2TB until 3TB support is added to unRAID?

The 3TB drives downsized is a good idea, but I feel more comfortable (with my Linux skills) in getting a few 2TB's for now and expanding later with 3TB's once they are supported and cheaper. Roughly... a 3TB costs double to that of a 2TB (Green Drive 64mb Cache).

My preference so far is for the BPN-340's, they look nice, seem well built, they support 3TB and have SATA power ports instead of molex which is nice. I would note that there is a lack of reviews for them (I cant find any) so would be nice to hear from someone who has already used them (or is this going to be me? :P )

I think that you will be doing the review on the BPN-340 at about the same time as I do my review on the BPN-350.

Yes, I can already see several advantages to the 340 over the 350 - a single large fan, slots to clear the drive supports in the 5.25 bays etc.

However, there are advantages to the 350 too: more drives, vertical drive arrangement (heat doesn't accumulate around the top drive).

The 350 isn't specifically advertised as being 3TB compatible, but I'm not sure why it shouldn't be.  However, I'm not sure how soon I would be able to purchase a 3TB drive here in order to test it.

Looks like it will be a nice build.  Unless you will be doing a lot of simultaneous writes to the server, there's really no benefit to running a black parity drive and green data drives.  Just go green all around and save on money, power, and heat.  For streaming media you won't notice the difference whatsoever.  If you already have a black drive that you are trying to reuse, then that's fine.

I'm curious to see if you'll get significantly faster boot times with that USB 3 flash drive.

Archived