Unassigned Devices Preclear - a utility to preclear disks before adding them to the array

dlandon

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great plugin!

I incorrectly added 6 drives to my array before I used Preclear.

I have since removed them from the array and they are showing up in UNRAID as "Unassigned Devices".

133986561_ScreenShot2022-06-23at6_14_50pm.thumb.png.4ae32ca0d3a8098f1fddb256a6424b9e.png

Two are currently running Preclear as I didnt make the same mistake with these ones!

The drives don't have any data on them and will go into a MD1200 DAS server that i will install shortly.

How do I 'reset' the drives so that they show up under Preclear?

Edited by Brenton Spear

Hi! I have an existing Unraid server and am working on setting up a back up. I'm using used WD Yellow Enterprise drives and want to pre-clear them. However, when I go to install the UD Preclear Plugin I get the attached error calling out that Requirements Not Met. 

I originally thought that I needed to upgrade to the latest version of Unraid. I did this on my "backup" server and am still getting this error. Also getting it on my original machine running 6.9.2. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks so much! 

Chris 

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 7.08.48 PM.png

Hi! I precleared 4 WD Yellow 6 TB drives via this plugin. 2 Failed and 2 passed. Both of the failed drives pass SMART and failed on Post Read Verification. I've read around that it could be bad RAM, but since 2 of the 4 drives did not fail on that error I'm curious if it's something else.

I also read that doing the preclear on one drive at a time can help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Screenshots of Output attached.

Thanks!

Chris

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 1.03.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 1.03.25 PM.png

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Both of the failed drives pass SMART

The overall SMART assessment can never be relied on :( 

Any time you get. Non-trivial number of reallocated sectors or pending sectors I would not be happy with the drive.

I would suggest trying the extended SMART test - if that cannot complete there is rarely any point in continuing with the drive.

Starting to recover from hardware and software errors after months of being down. 

I'm having issues with two of my NVME drives, they're both Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB drives. 

I couldn't mount the Sabrent Rocket NVMEs. After clicking on 'Mount', nothing happened. 

The drives also wouldn't let me delete the original partitions. After restarting, I still couldn't 'Mount' the drives, but was able to delete the partitions. 

The problem I'm having now is that when I go to Preclear the NVME drives, none of the drive's info is available. There is also no Disk Log information available, but I can see everything under the devices 'Identity'. 

461829332_ScreenShot2022-07-02at4_01_51PM.thumb.png.92a0945d2aa08124861ed62b72a8968e.png

Anyone have an idea of what is going on?

My hardware is in my signature.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 4.06.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 4.05.30 PM.png

threadripper19-smart-20220702-1606.zip threadripper19-diagnostics-20220702-1612.zip

12 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Why are you wanting to preclear Nvme drives?

I wanted to test the drives after all the failures. 

I was able to get the drives to Preclear after I started the array, but the read/write performance is horrible. 
the max speed I’m getting is only 130MB/sec. 

Anyone have an idea why both of my Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVME drives Precleared at such a ridiculously slow speed of 104 MB/S taking over 3hrs to preclear a 1 TB drive?

They're PCIE 4.0 drives on a PCIE 4.0 capable motherboard. When I used unraid 6.9.2 and the previous preclear plugin from gfjardim, I was able to get over 3000 MB/S and it finished in minutes. 

Attached are my diagnostics and a screenshot of the Identity page. 

Screenshot 2022-07-03 091422.jpg

threadripper19-diagnostics-20220703-0923.zip

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Preclearing flash devices is not recommended, you'll just be causing unnecessary wear, as for the performance try a write test to see how they are performing, if speed is the same it's likely a device problem.

Wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

Would using the DiskSpeed docker be okay to use to test for speed or should I just configure the drives then transfer a file to the NVME from another pc? I don't feel like setting up an iPerf test.

@dlandon: Seems that recent update broke some of my User Scripts. Soon after upgrade I can no longer call them:

Jul 11 08:31:40 Tower emhttpd: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/user.scripts/backgroundScript.sh /tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/Unmount TowerVM01 SMB/script
Jul 11 08:31:40 Tower atd[8442]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib64/security/pam_unix.so): /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /lib64/libresolv.so.2)
Jul 11 08:31:40 Tower atd[8442]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib64/security/pam_unix.so
Jul 11 08:31:40 Tower atd[8442]: Module is unknown

5 hours ago, hawihoney said:

@dlandon: Seems that recent update broke some of my User Scripts. Soon after upgrade I can no longer call them:

Jul 11 08:31:40 Tower emhttpd: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/user.scripts/backgroundScript.sh /tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/Unmount TowerVM01 SMB/script
Jul 11 08:31:40 Tower atd[8442]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib64/security/pam_unix.so): /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /lib64/libresolv.so.2)
Jul 11 08:31:40 Tower atd[8442]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib64/security/pam_unix.so
Jul 11 08:31:40 Tower atd[8442]: Module is unknown

This has nothing to do with UD.  You are using something that requires an additional slackware package - glibc.  I suspect that dlopen was updated and now requires the glibc 2.34 package.  I ran into this when I updated the tmux package in UD Preclear.  It now requires glibc 2.34.

Unraid 6.10 has glibc 2.33 installed which is a version behind.  As a quick work around, install the latest version of the UD Preclear plugin that installs the glibc package updated to 2..35.