Unassigned Devices Preclear - a utility to preclear disks before adding them to the array

dlandon

17 hours ago, thorneo said:

Thank you for your help I was wondering if I needed both parity drives to be 8 tera's so that anwser would be yes..

Parity drives don't have to be the same size as each other, but no data disk can be larger than any parity disk. If your largest data disk is 6TB, then each parity must be at least 6TB. So 8TB parity (P) and 6TB parity2 (Q) would be allowed, for example.

On 1/23/2023 at 3:01 PM, trurl said:

Parity drives don't have to be the same size as each other, but no data disk can be larger than any parity disk. If your largest data disk is 6TB, then each parity must be at least 6TB. So 8TB parity (P) and 6TB parity2 (Q) would be allowed, for example.

OK I see what you are saying now. And it does make sense to myself now..

• 2 weeks later...

Does this do multiple passes on pre-clearing?  

I'm running two pre-clears of 16tb exos and it already did the pre-read and almost done with the zeroing, but it says 2 of 5, does that mean its going to run 2 more passes before doing the post read? If so, how any way to stop extra zeroing passes?

image.thumb.png.8c8613a5e0c3a89c04a33ad46730777d.png

2 minutes ago, danimal86 said:

Does this do multiple passes on pre-clearing?  

I'm running two pre-clears of 16tb exos and it already did the pre-read and almost done with the zeroing, but it says 2 of 5, does that mean its going to run 2 more passes before doing the post read? If so, how any way to stop extra zeroing passes?

image.thumb.png.8c8613a5e0c3a89c04a33ad46730777d.png

One preclear pass is 5 steps.  It's indicating what steps are done in the preclear process.

1 minute ago, danimal86 said:

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't doing multiple zero'ing passes.  

So are the steps?:

1. pre-read

2. zero

3. post-read

4. writing signature

5. verifying signature

Yes, but you can specify the number of zeroing passes (called cycles) up to a total of 3 if you want to do more.

Just noticed that when running this pre clear script that UnRAID keeps trying to put the disks to sleep every 15 minutes (as per my array settings).

Not the end of the world, but it really shouldn't be attempting to spin down disks that are being pre-cleared.

I've changed my Spindown delay to 60 mins whilst the disks pre clear.

This comment suggests this is intended behaviour: 

I don't agree if that is the case...!

This plugin is very questionable... I had only 2 drives that were new to my setup... yet I had 4 disks listed... and while only 2 of them were clearable... the second clearable disk listed conflicting information as to which disk I would be clearing... I can provide screenshots should they be required... but I dont trust this current version of the software

I stand corrected... It turns out that since I had 2 HBA cards in my DAS, conflicting information confused the plugin with strange data... 

Edited by mathomas3
provided update and clarification
44 minutes ago, mathomas3 said:

This plugin is very questionable... I had only 2 drives that were new to my setup... yet I had 4 disks listed... and while only 2 of them were clearable... the second clearable disk listed conflicting information as to which disk I would be clearing... I can provide screenshots should they be required... but I dont trust this current version of the software

Poat screen shots.

In the screenshot you will notice that I have 4 devices listed of which only two of them are clearable while I only have 2HDDs that are not currently in the array... The selected device is the "Dev 1" device and yet on this confirmation page it shows conflicting information for Dev 1 and sdg... 

You will also notice that SDG is not a drive letter for one of my unassigned devices... 

image.thumb.png.99035bb0668034e8fc0bafeead550228.png 

image.png.d152e403218552669bafd4cc43ea77db.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by mathomas3