enable/include docker-dhcp-net plugin to make containers use the default (net-wide) dhcp-server

Even with macvlan support, using a central DHCP management solution for all clients and hosts in your network is not possible for Dockers in unraid.

This is a docker plugin, that promises to solve that: https://github.com/devplayer0/docker-net-dhcp

...from the readme.md:

docker-net-dhcp

docker-net-dhcp is a Docker plugin providing a network driver which allocates IP addresses (IPv4 and optionally IPv6) via an existing DHCP server (e.g. your router).

When configured correctly, this allows you to spin up a container (e.g. docker run ... or docker-compose up ...) and access it on your network as if it was any other machine!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
On 3/5/2022 at 9:03 PM, Ford Prefect said:

Even with macvlan support, using a central DHCP management solution for all clients and hosts in your network is not possible for Dockers in unraid.

Just out of curiosity if you install it like in the linked GitHub repo doesn't it work and should persist reboots?

Also is this plugin actively maintained since the last commit was about 8 months ago.

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Just out of curiosity if you install it like in the linked GitHub repo doesn't it work and should persist reboots?

.....I don't have an option to test this, ATM...no spare parts.

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Also is this plugin actively maintained since the last commit was about 8 months ago.

I don't know, but I'd rather see this as a starting point. If this feature gets accepted, of course there needs to be a staff or community maintainer for unraid appointed.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just doing a major network topology upgrade to the house - and decided to split out my dockers... really wish DHCP worked for the docker containers... I mean.. something creates the MAC address and the IP address for them - should be able to proxy in the DHCP request as well - right?  An 'outside the container' service perhaps, optional so that it doesn't need to interfere with containers that DO handle their own DHCP.

In the meantime - lots of double work statically assigning container IPs and duplicating the settings in the router's DHCP Server.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/13/2023 at 9:56 PM, baccula said:

Another Unifi user struggling with macvlan instability, would love a better way to manage DHCP reservations through router instead of unRAID.

From what I understand you should use ipvlan now, but dunno if this plugin works with that.

Any others got any clever ideas?