No listing: Too many files on remote SMB share.

Go to solution Solved by MoherPower,

Hi 

I have synology Nas and i want to copy data from it to new unraid server i did this

mounted smb share in unraid that points to my old synology 

i used rsync to copy folders from synology to unraid.

i copy folder by folder and suddenly one of them get me permission denied

"sending incremental file list
rsync: [sender] readdir("/mnt/remotes/NAS_Nas/Firma"): Permission denied (13)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1330) [sender=3.2.3]
Script Finished Mar 06, 2022 02:50.01"

after that content of folder is not listed in web gui

"Index of /mnt/remotes/NAS_Nas/Firma

Parent Directory

No listing: Too many files"

and this is not a xfs coruption becouse on synology i don't use xfs file system.

i can unmount and remount share and i can list folder again but running rsync repeats problem.

To be absolutly sure if it is filesystem problem i used windows file explorer to copy files form Nas to unraid and all went well. NO SINGE ERROR.

Something is wrong with rsinc/unraid but i dont know what. i am planning to sync this folder so please help.

rsync command i use is this 

rsync  --update -rh  --progress "/mnt/remotes/NAS_Nas/Install" "/mnt/user/3Wsolution"

i use user scripts plugin to run rsync on specific time.

Edited by MoherPower
more acurate title
  • MoherPower changed the title to No listing: Too many files on remote SMB share.

There are certain ASCII characters in the filename that don't work with Rsync on Linux,

rsync fails to copy the file as a result.

My recollection is the vertical pipe character | is one of them, colon is another, perhaps some related to

Linux file redirection such as greater-than, less-than might be others. Some of these are OK in Windows.

-- Tom

as you can see only fiew files in install folder. ho hidden files, no fancy caracters exept "_" or "." no national (polish) caracters also.

error.jpg

also i would like to remind you that this foder is not showing in unraid GUI After running rsync. but ofcouse i can read this folder in windows explorer as you can see above. also i can read this folder when i copy it by windows to unraid (there is some more files/dirs becouse i copied to unraid some files from other sources).

error2.jpg

error3.jpg

Edited by MoherPower

i thought that -a option transfers atributes too. since on NAS is not xfs filesystem  i was afraid that atributes will be incompatebile and it will create more problems. But i will do just as you instructed  and post again. i will also do one more thing. i will log in by ssh to nas and list directory to see for sure if there is no hidden files. 

I found the problem.

i use account name:group  unraid:users for mounting NAS.

Folder install has chmod 754 so user unraid have only read privilige as i wanted.

and this blocks mounting. when i change to chmod 777 install everything works perfect. 

can you tell me whe unraid needs write, execute privilige to properly show folder?

error.jpg

error1.jpg

from picture above i checked and have problems with folder Firma and Backup in unraid gui becouse of privilige too.

but  when i mounted it in windows from account unrad. i can read it but not chage/delete. but i can read and copy to other locations.

should i report a bug? this is unraid error for sure.

error2.jpg

error3.jpg