How do I set up my own unraid dev environment?

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2022 at 5:43 AM, uek2wooF said:

How do I compile and package things for some unraid version so they can be installed similar to nerdtools?

Depends on what do you want to compile and package up.

Should this be a „AiO Package“ manager or what do you want to do exactly?

The NerdTools only provides packages from the official available Slackware packages from what I know.

Oh and do this apps need to be compiled for each new Unraid version because of dependent Kernel modules?

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2022 at 8:17 AM, uek2wooF said:

Everything is a big secret on this closed os.

Why? Unraid is Based on Slackware and Slackware is well documented.

I cross compile most everything on or better speaking in a Debian Bullseye Docker container (customized to my needs) because I'm most familiar with Debian and Docker because I don't have to .

What do you need exactly? If you want to install packages that are not shipped via nerd tools then compile it somewhere on Linux and create a package or copy it over to Unraid.

If you want to set up your own dev environment directly on Unraid, which I don't recommend because you have to install the packages on every reboot and so on, you can also pull packages from the official repository for Slackware 15 here (since Unraid 6.10 is based on Slackware 15) or for packages you don't find you can try to find it from pkgs.org

BTW Sorry for the late answer but I'm not subscribed to every thread where I posted...

• 5 months later...

I want to pick up this thread by its original question.

Currently, I do dev and testing on my prod server (Plugins). I would rather install a new unraid just for dev - but I have to purchase a new license key for that.

Is there any best practice for a dev env? Special license key or smth like that?

Edited by KluthR
4 hours ago, KluthR said:

I want to pick up this thread by its original question.

Currently, I do dev and testing on my prod server (Plugins). I would rather install a new unraid just for dev - but I have to purchase a new license key for that.

Is there any best practice for a dev env? Special license key or smth like that?

There is no special licence key for developers (unless you can convince Limetech that what you are developing is valuable enough to gift you a free licence).

If you have a separate licence for development purposes then you can run Unraid in a VM on your production server as described here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.  This is what I do for my own main development environment.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, uek2wooF said:

that question is unrelated to the original question.  The original question is basically how to compile stuff for unraid since it does not seem to track the slack version it claims to track.

How does it not? Every existing Slackware package works on unraid AFAIK, so if you build for Slackware it should work on Unraid.

Well it has been a while now so I might not remember this perfectly, but:  because qemu 5.1.0, which comes with 6.9.2 unraid (which I thought was based on slack 14.2) requires glib 2.48 but slack 14.2 has glib 2.46.  So something doesn't add up when I try to rebuild qemu 5.1.0 on slack 14.2 for unraid 6.9.2 since the glib version is too old.

None of this matters I guess, I just made a VM which has the qemu emulations I need.  It just would be nice to have a short doc on how to compile stuff for unraid.