Mapping problem with multiple cache pools?

Go to solution Solved by Squid,

Running 6.10.0-rc2

I have two shares, call them A and B

and two cache pools, call them A' and B'

Share A is set to Cache: Yes, with Cache Pool A'

Share B is set to Cache: Only, with Cache Pool B'

I wanted to move files from Share A to Share B

All files resided in Share A's cache.

I opened Krusader (Host Path: /mnt -> Container Path: /unraid)

With two panels:

1. /unraid/user/A/x/

2. /unraid/user/B/y/

and moved files from Panel 1 to Panel 2 (Share A to Share B)

But instead of placing them in share B's cache,

unRAID created /B/y/ in share A's cache and placed them there.

Is that a bug, misconfiguration, user error?

• Solution

By using Krusader, you are effectively bypassing the "system", resulting in this behaviour

The way that every OS in existence operates on a move is that first the file / folder is attempted to be renamed to the new location.  Only if it fails does the copy / delete process (physical move) take place.

Because Krusader is working from the single mount point (/mnt/), the rename will always succeed, resulting in files being location in apparent violation of the rules.

Options to avoid this is once 6.10-rc3 is released to install a File Manager plugin at the same time, or 2 do file operations via Windows and move between the shares, or map the shares to Krusader individually and move between those mounts

4 minutes ago, CS01-HS said:

I can see how that wouldn't bite me if I were only dealing with a single cache pool.

Same thing also applies to only a single cache pool.  If you move between shares and the source file is sitting on the cache drive and the destination's share has use cache: no, the file will stay on the cache drive and never be moved to the array by mover.

• Upvote 1

I am new to Unraid and Linux, in general. So some of the things that unraid is doing is throwing me off. It sounds like I am running to kinda the same issue as CS01-HS and I am not sure how to correct it or if it is even the same issue at all. Here is my use case;

I have a cache pool that is set to "only" on the "Use cache pool". I have shares set up on this cache pool. I also have shares on my array. I am also using Krusader and sometimes I need to move files from the array to this cache pool. When do I this, it creates the same file and file structure on the array that is on my cache but outside of the shares on the array. I am unsure how to move files on the server (not using SMB) and not use Krusader to complete the task. I am running Unraid 6.9.2. 

It sounds like I need to move these files/directories from the array to the cache using a terminal window? If Unraid 6.10-rc3 can do the job, any idea when the release will be out for us to try out the file manager? The file manager seems like an awesome new feature. 

4 hours ago, Tommy B. said:

creates the same file and file structure on the array that is on my cache

Not clear, but makes me wonder if you are trying to work with disks and user shares together. DON'T  DO IT.

When you say 'array ' do you mean a specific disk? Or do you mean a user share? Cache is included in user shares so a file on cache is a file in a user share.

I may trying to work with disks and user shares together, you would have to tell me from below. Unraid is definitely not working like I think it should. (probably user error) The main reason I want to build the server is to have a self contained media server/torrent machine while using a VPN along with a few other things using VMs.

Here is what I want to happen:

I want to  download files to be the cache_torrent drive that has a share created named "torrent_Storage". I do not want these filed moved to my array via Unraid's mover. I have Emby installed and I want Emby's Auto Organizer to move the files from a "Completed_torrents" folder on the "torrent_Storage" share to the correct folder on a  share called "holodeck" on disk1.  I have "torrent_Storage" share set to "only" on the "Use cache pool" currently b/c i do not want mover to move these files for any reason on the cache_torrent drive or any share on that cache drive. (probably change the cache setting to "prefer" as ChatNoir suggest after I figure out whats going on here.

Main.thumb.png.2277aa7dbf62d32a6ae4cbdeca1bceeb.png

sharesettings.png.5249571be2bd69280ae788fdb3514caa.png

Here is the file structure on the "torrent_Storage" share;

torrent_cache.png.b3f4e9cb692556044aac17ac846986fe.png

but what is happening is when I copy or move a file to the "torrent_Storage" share, unraid is also copying the files to my array using the same file structure as the "torrent_Storage" share. Unraid is moving the data to a location on disk1 outside of my share "holodeck" on disk1.

disk1.png.9aaccc8a27140497ed4d41057571678b.png

I am not really understanding what unraid is doing behind the scenes. Any help would be appreciated. I want to learn what I doing wrong here and how to correct my thinking about how Unraid works/should work. Let me know if more information is needed.

According to your screenshot you have the Torrent_Storage share set to NOT use the cache so Unraid is (quite correctly) writing to the array.   If you want it only on the cache it needs to use the Only (or Prefer) setting for Use Cache Pool.  Note that if you change this setting it only applies to new files.

Thank you sir.. what a dumb oversight. 

One other issue has come up and I am sure it is something simple that I am over looking. I have a "isos" share set up and I have it set on public (as shown in the screenshot below) and  the cache pool for the "isos" share is pointed to "cache_all" pool and the array storage location is on disk3 in a share called "isos".

Isos_share_settings.thumb.png.5937fa7d0c4c82ff87249c7c6a5156a4.png

isos_disk3.png.2882a51781e7461862a74f02ef166213.png

Even though Krusader shows the two isos that i do have downloaded in the "isos" share location: one of the isos are located in a totally different cache drive (cache_ssd). Is it obvious to one of you guys why this happened? i am sure this is some setting I have wrong again. 

krusader.png.d77081c2ad0a65394916c34a1af6d03b.png

cache_ssd.png.2e4e7c6799c4e17b431c2c91430b171a.png

Also, why doesn't the "isos" share show up as a SMB share like the rest of my shares as I have it set up to be public? is it because export is set to no " the share settings for "isos" share?

SMB_shares.png.32808a87dcd76b9b0a56b340625d0c17.png

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by Tommy B.