Switching from trial to fresh install; old docker images

Go to solution Solved by Squid,

• I had an old version of unraid running on my "production" rig. This used a custom /apps folder instead of appdata. 
  • I tested moving my plex metadata to a fresh install with a trial USB key. It worked. This created a mnt/user/appdata folder
  • I then backed up and wiped my "production" key as I wanted to start from scratch. This included a brand new cache drive as well. 

After enabling docker, I saw the two dockers I had set up with the trial key were there, less their icons. I tried removing Krusader. It's gone from the Docker tab but some (icon?) files persiste in /appdata and for whatever reason, installing it again just goes through the motions but it doesn't actually install. 

The other docker was plex. I'm being careful with that one as it is where my Plex meta/cache data was. 

I guess I'm just a bit confused as to why those are showing up, having not installed any dockers on this fresh key install. Obviously they live on the array and were (likely) set to "prefer" the old cache drive. I guess as long as it is (also?) on the array, it'll show up in the docker tab too?

• Solution

the appdata share vs any other random share is simply a convention and nothing your particularly have to stick with  Change the default appdata location in settings - docker.  This will NOT however change anything already installed.

The docker image does not exist on the flash drive, so if you boot with another flash and the image location etc is the same, then your apps will all show up (but won't be editable etc without the applicable files on the flash drive.  This includes references to the icons (Admittedly, this is a scenario I never tested with the various changes to the way icons are handled). 

The docker image is very safe to delete (Settings - docker with the service disabled) and then recreate (via Apps - Previous Apps), assuming you did an actual backup of your original flash drive which had the templates stored on it.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I have backups of both drive, original apps and trial appdata folders. 

Ok so what I'm hearing is, because my trial used all default locations vs. the custom ones I had set up, my fresh install is "seeing" the docker.img file which I should obliterate and restart, since my objective is to have a clean start. Cool, I'll try that. 

What started confusing me was thinking about the fact that the trial put an appdata folder on cache and the array, so the new install would also be pointing to those files, but the current unraid install isn't aware of those installs, so I was planning to obliterate them as well. BUT, one of those has my most recent Plex cache/metadata so I have to be careful. Maybe I should just rename the "old" appdata and move on. 

Edit: That worked. I nixed the docker image and was able to start fresh. Thanks! 

Edited by TyantA