Out of Memory on v.6.9.2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK it just got very scary my docker failed to start and I had to do a manual start in the terminal (No logs where visible)

I then got the error shared drive not available - and I noticed that ALL MY SHARED DRIVES WAS GONE!

Found the above post and it said that this could be caused by memory problems

I then did a reboot and all my shares was back

New diagnostic posted here, before doing the reboot

NO-SHARES-diagnostics-20220329-1847.zip

Interesting.  Emby was going insane and kept on killing off stuff in order to keep itself from running out of memory, and at one point it wound up killing itself off so that it could keep running!??!

IE: Something went very very wrong with Emby.  Reboot is all you can do.  Maybe try limiting the amount of memory it's allowed to use

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Interesting.  Emby was going insane and kept on killing off stuff in order to keep itself from running out of memory, and at one point it wound up killing itself off so that it could keep running!??!

IE: Something went very very wrong with Emby.  Reboot is all you can do.  Maybe try limiting the amount of memory it's allowed to use

So Emby might be the cause of all my memory problems?

16 minutes ago, Squid said:

I just checked the Emby settings and I already have: --runtime=nvidia --log-opt max-size=50m --log-opt max-file=1 --memory=2G --restart unless-stopped

6 minutes ago, casperse said:

I just checked the Emby settings and I already have: --runtime=nvidia --log-opt max-size=50m --log-opt max-file=1 --memory=2G --restart unless-stopped

Are you transcoding to RAM in Emby?  The above command limits how much memory the Emby Docker container can use but not how much RAM transcoding can use.

I am not familiar with how Emby transcoding works but I know Plex transcoding to RAM could use up all RAM if there was a long transcoding session or multiple simultaneous transcoding sessions.  My server with 32GB RAM crashed a couple of times because Plex used all the RAM.

I limited the amount of RAM that could be used for transcoding and have never had a problem again.

53 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Are you transcoding to RAM in Emby?  The above command limits how much memory the Emby Docker container can use but not how much RAM transcoding can use.

I am not familiar with how Emby transcoding works but I know Plex transcoding to RAM could use up all RAM if there was a long transcoding session or multiple simultaneous transcoding sessions.  My server with 32GB RAM crashed a couple of times because Plex used all the RAM.

I limited the amount of RAM that could be used for transcoding and have never had a problem again.

Yes that is a valid point but I created a script for all transcoding in RAM one for Emby and one for Plex and this have never failed me!

#!/bin/bash
mkdir /tmp/EmbyRamScratch
chmod -R 777 /tmp/EmbyRamScratch
mount -t tmpfs -o size=8g tmpfs /tmp/EmbyRamScratch

Just happened again - Emby is running fine? - Should I just keep re-booting the server after getting this error?

Would upgrading to the latest release candidate fix the problem?

I have defined memory limits on my dockers and VM's the utilization is high but okay, I guess its the spikes that causes this?

I am between 65% - 85% high

image.png.4e117fcdbb7467f9600415878b335bd4.png

I have attached my Diag again, but I thinking that there isn't any smoking gun causing this?

Memory-2-diagnostics-20220403-1544.zip

On 4/3/2022 at 9:50 PM, casperse said:

Should I just keep re-booting the server after getting this error?

No, this not a solution.

On 3/30/2022 at 2:18 AM, casperse said:

Does limit to 2GB is correct setting for Emby docker if system have enough resources ? I think you could try 4GB does this would avoid OOM of Emby docker and cause it always restart.

I haven't use Emby and haven't limit memory usage for dockers, btw, setting limit ( protection ) not a bad idea.

Edited by Vr2Io
On 3/29/2022 at 8:18 PM, casperse said:

--memory=2G

Why are you doing this? I can't see any benefit from this?

On 3/29/2022 at 9:25 PM, casperse said:

#!/bin/bash
mkdir /tmp/EmbyRamScratch
chmod -R 777 /tmp/EmbyRamScratch
mount -t tmpfs -o size=8g tmpfs /tmp/EmbyRamScratch

Please remove this script, also remove the parameter that it only has 2GB of memory (this is only the maximum amount of memory the application can consume) and add this to your extra parameters:

--mount type=tmpfs,destination=/tmp,tmpfs-size=8589934592

This will basically create a tmpfs on the Docker start in /tmp (yes, that's perfectly fine and should used like that since then there is no chmod or anything else needed) and change the transcoding path in Emby to /tmp

On 4/11/2022 at 7:17 AM, ich777 said:

Why are you doing this? I can't see any benefit from this?

Please remove this script, also remove the parameter that it only has 2GB of memory (this is only the maximum amount of memory the application can consume) and add this to your extra parameters:

--mount type=tmpfs,destination=/tmp,tmpfs-size=8589934592

This will basically create a tmpfs on the Docker start in /tmp (yes, that's perfectly fine and should used like that since then there is no chmod or anything else needed) and change the transcoding path in Emby to /tmp

I got the script from mgutt and I keept them because its practually the same as writing it in the docker:

Have one for Emby and another for Plex) both with at RAM folder

But I guess its simpler to have just tmp, so I will delete the scripts and add the parameter to them both

But using your extra parameter in docker for Emby I now have:

--runtime=nvidia --log-opt max-size=50m --log-opt max-file=1 --restart unless-stopped --mount type=tmpfs,destination=/tmp,tmpfs-size=8589934592

And for Plex:

--runtime=nvidia --no-healthcheck --log-opt max-size=50m --log-opt max-file=1 --restart unless-stopped --mount type=tmpfs,destination=/tmp,tmpfs-size=8589934592

So long time since I set this up, but it has been running pretty stable

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 5:44 PM, ich777 said:

Nice, but just a quick reminder to keep in mind that Emby will stop playback if the buffer runns full, Plex doesn't do that...

I have made the changes and I havnet seen any memory warning for some time, but got one today (Havent found any Emby reference)

image.thumb.png.c1ce955ee39b3e4cd669dc3e17b8961b.png

Is this just one off these things where you have to upgrade your memory 😞

Attached new Diag file

diagnostics-20220508-1427.zip