Turning hard drives off as much as possible?

Tom_VSP

Hi guys

I started this thread on Reddit, but if I'm really considering Unraid, it might be better to ask for information over here.

Basically what I'm looking for is a large storage that is always accessible, but only a small amount needs to be directly available.

I read through the topic @mgutt created, and it seems that getting all hardware to power down as much as possible is possible.

But is it possible to configure Unraid such that it uses (redundant) cache all the time, and only periodically syncs this to the drives? It would then only need to spin up the drives if I want to access something that is not available in cache.

What I'm worried about the most is that I have some containers running that constantly add data to databases. If these are using the cache, and the cache keeps the drives spinning, they will just be powered on for 24/7.

Any tips on how or if this could be addressed?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Tom_VSP said:

But is it possible to configure Unraid such that it uses (redundant) cache all the time, and only periodically syncs this to the drives?

This is how unRAID works. Spinning down delay must be set through the Disk Settings.

1 minute ago, mgutt said:

This is how unRAID works. Spinning down delay must be set through the Disk Settings.

Ok, that's good to know!

But am I correct that spinning down delay is the delay for the drives to turn off after no activity? Is what I am looking for not a 'spin up delay'?

2 minutes ago, Tom_VSP said:

Is what I am looking for not a 'spin up delay'?

HDDs automatically spin up, when you access files on them. So you don't need a spin up setting.

But don't forget: Files aren't "synced" between cache pool and array. Files are permanently on the cache OR moved to the array. That's why the default cache setting for appdata is "prefer", which means "files are permanently on cache".

Because of this, a RAID1 of two SSDs is recommend for the cache pool (I have only one SSD and create backups in a timely manner).

21 minutes ago, mgutt said:

But don't forget: Files aren't "synced" between cache pool and array. Files are permanently on the cache OR moved to the array. That's why the default cache setting for appdata is "prefer", which means "files are permanently on cache".

Aha, didn't know that. So when does it decide to move data to the drives?

Can you do these backups of the cache on the hard disk array as well, or does it need to be separate?

2 hours ago, Tom_VSP said:

when does it decide to move data to the drives?

It depends on the cache setting if the share:

Prefer = stays on cache

Yes = is moved to Array by schedule

2 hours ago, Tom_VSP said:

Can you do these backups of the cache on the hard disk array as well, or does it need to be separate?

As you decide. My backup target is a backup share in the array, but I create additional Backups onto a remote location as a disaster backup against fire, earthquake, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running Mover Tuner Plugin, which tells my SSD (Cache) when to move my files onto my Array. So I have my files sit on my SSD for instant access for 2weeks or if my SSD hits 50% usage which ever comes first. Normally the mover triggers daily and moves cache files, but using Mover Tuner it bypasses the daily moving and will move when ever you tell it to.

Why do I do this? Well I add a movie and my kids beat it up for a few days and after 2 weeks they seem to barely touch it. So in theory only when Plex scans my files looking for changes at 6AM daily my system pretty much is idling other than the SSD and moving of files now and then.