Moving unRAID Disks Around...

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello!

I searched the forums and only found posts that were years old or not making a ton of sense for my thick skull.

My unRAID server had 6 data disks and 2 parity disks. I removed 4 small disks which left "disk 5" and "disk 6". I then rebuilt parity with only two disks in the array. That was all well, but I would like to move 5/6 to 1/2 and add another disk for 3. It sounds like I can do this, but my second parity disk will not fly and need to be rebuilt again.

My question is this, on unRAID 6.9.2, can I move those disks to 1/2 and be 100% fine with checking "parity is valid"?

Or do I need to unassign Parity 2, do my drive reconfiguration (along with adding the third disk), start up the array and then stop the array to re-add Parity 2 and have it rebuild.

The disk arrangement is strictly OCD, if this isn't possible with how I explained above without reinventing the wheel I will just add the third disk as "disk 4" as it seems gapping drives is a no-go.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You can use the New Config tool to change the disk assignments to what you want, but you then need to rebuild parity to match the new assignments.

Understood! Here we go for another 25 hour rebuild! Haha

Actually, I will just leave it alone and start building backwards. Seems cosmetic and not a big deal.

Was I correct in disk gaps not being acceptable? If I build back down to disk 1, and then add a disk 7 I would be okay so long as disk 1-6 are populated?

Edited by TheSystemAdmin
Additional Info/Mind Change
28 minutes ago, TheSystemAdmin said:

Understood! Here we go for another 25 hour rebuild! Haha

Actually, I will just leave it alone and start building backwards. Seems cosmetic and not a big deal.

Did this last weekend.  Being slighty OCD about my server, there's no way I could leave it with gaps in the disk numbers.  20odd hours for the parity rebuild but server is up and running while it was doing it so there was no impact really.