Dynamix File Manager

I am happy to announce that the next version of DFM has scheduled jobs.

This feature allows to create one or more tasks and put them in a queue, which can be executed upon request.

This version is a major rework to make everything possible. Quite a lot of effort was put in developing and testing to ensure correct operation is in place, but please report anything unusual.

image.png

Once the queue contains operational tasks, these can be viewed by clicking on the JOBS button.

image.png

Clicking the JOBS button opens a new window, which shows the scheduled jobs in the queue.

image.png

The user may delete any unwanted jobs before starting, therefor select the jobs to be deleted and then click DELETE, this will reorganize the list or make the list empty when selecting and deleting all scheduled jobs.

Click  START to begin the schedule.

Jobs are executed in the order they appear and the next job starts when the previous job is completed.

There is no check for correlation between jobs, it is the responsibility of the user to make sure jobs do not interfere with each other. Once started, progress can be followed in the footer.

image.png

Press the DFM icon to open the current job and see the details of the operation.

image.png

To hide the window click the minimize icon at the top right and progress goes back again to the footer.

When you CANCEL the job, then the current job terminates, but other jobs in the queue stay there (the queue is not emptied) and the remaining jobs can be started or revised by following the steps as explained before.

Hope you like this new addition :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
On 4/8/2023 at 11:12 PM, Kilrah said:

When opening the menu on the right there seems to currently be no way to close it again, clicking outside of it just leaves it there, obscuring the + icons for files below it. Have to change page and come back.

image.png.e798e96267fbed6b4c7aeca034194b1c.png

Same situation with me on Firefox, Edge and Chrome on windows 10 (all last versions)

Edited by Mario Coelho

Hi there.

I have a problem.

I started a file-movement from one to another disc last night.

This morning i recogniced, that there is still device-activity active.

image.png.ede4d0bf4002d8e8d43eddbc34468109.png

There was an idication at the bottom when i entered the DFM via a "browse"-button on the main page.

It was all red and i don't know exactly, that it was saying :(

Something like "cannot display ETA, speed, percentage done .. "

Now there isn't any indication at the bottom mentioned, that the plugin is still active.

Does the plugin have a log-file to analyse?

Do I miss something, where I can see "still active" file-movement in the Plugin?

Greetings

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

Click on the DFM icon on the top right to open the file manager, if there is still activity it should display that at the bottom.

Sadly I am not seeing an activity.

I did not do another thing insteaad of starting the mover :/

Something is still moving files.

I changed disc-writing to turbo-mode.

It speeds up the progress a little.

But aktually I am not shure, what is speeding up.

image.thumb.png.7a98e631d50f44eb9a2930a9f86b226c.png

Is there a way to see via terminal, if DFM is still active?

Does DFM use rsync underneath?

Internally DFM uses these files. When these files are not present there is no current job.

/var/tmp/file.manager.active : indicates the current job it is executing

/var/tmp/file.manager.status : shows status details of the current job while executing

/var/tmp/file.manager.error : exists only after the job has finished or terminated with an error

File copy and file move operations use rsync or mv depending on source and destination (DFM has something called "smart move")

When you move from one disk to another disk, it will use rsync

Feature Request

- Do not use file extensions to open files in the editor. Instead open all non-binary files in the editor.

Example:

if [[ $(find "$file" -type f -size -100M -exec grep --files-with-matches --binary-files=without-match '' {} \;) ]]
  # open file with editor
fi

What it does:

- "find -type f -size -100M" allows only to open files which are smaller than 100M

- "grep --files-with-matches --binary-files=without-match" skips binary files

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, mgutt said:

Feature Request

- Do not use file extensions to open files in the editor. Instead open all non-binary files in the editor.

There is no meaning to any file extension in Linux.  The only thing that will allow a file to be executed is that the 'x' bit in the 'rwx' permissions to be set.  Even that bit being set does not mean that the file is 'binary', it could well be a executable script (Example-- A BASH script).  A script file is a simple text file!  Those script  files have to have the 'x' bit set or BASH will not run the script.   (I can remember when old UNIX security measures recommended that no file ever be saved with the execute bit set.  The bit had to be manually set by the user as a debilitate act.  I can remember having to do that with the final output file from a C-compiler so I could test it!  Apparently, this is no longer the case...)  

Let's consider another common file extension--.zip.  Do you really want to open that file in a simple text editor?   How about Windows word .DOC file?  The list could go on and on...

On 4/10/2023 at 5:21 AM, bonienl said:

I am happy to announce that the next version of DFM has scheduled jobs.

This feature allows to create one or more tasks and put them in a queue, which can be executed upon request.

This version is a major rework to make everything possible. Quite a lot of effort was put in developing and testing to ensure correct operation is in place, but please report anything unusual.

image.png

Once the queue contains operational tasks, these can be viewed by clicking on the JOBS button.

image.png

Clicking the JOBS button opens a new window, which shows the scheduled jobs in the queue.

image.png

The user may delete any unwanted jobs before starting, therefor select the jobs to be deleted and then click DELETE, this will reorganize the list or make the list empty when selecting and deleting all scheduled jobs.

Click  START to begin the schedule.

Jobs are executed in the order they appear and the next job starts when the previous job is completed.

There is no check for correlation between jobs, it is the responsibility of the user to make sure jobs do not interfere with each other. Once started, progress can be followed in the footer.

image.png

Press the DFM icon to open the current job and see the details of the operation.

image.png

To hide the window click the minimize icon at the top right and progress goes back again to the footer.

When you CANCEL the job, then the current job terminates, but other jobs in the queue stay there (the queue is not emptied) and the remaining jobs can be started or revised by following the steps as explained before.

Hope you like this new addition :)

I want to give you a huge thanks here- I don't really use my UnRaid server other than to manage a lot of rather large media files, and without the internal file utility it is pretty much useless to me. Rather than transfer one file at a time, wait 15mins, then transfer another I can setup all my jobs at once and walk away. 

This is what makes the UnRaid community special- on other NAS suites I'd have to run a docker to do the same thing, and this is so much easier and takes up a lot less resources.

Small BUG-Report:

I am using latest stable Unraid 6.11.5 together with latest Dynamix File manager.

I think I found a small bug:

Being in the Dynamix file manager GUI on the Unraid server, I used "upload" tab to copy an ISO file from a client PC to the Unraid ISO share. It worked without any issue, but I saw that the speed indication next to the percentage of already copied data is wrong

The speed indication shows kB/s which is wrong

Correct should be MB/sec

with kByte/sec speeds, the copy would take hours and hours... but in reality it was quickly finshed...

Thanks for the nice filemanager plug-in

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, looking for a little advice on how to use this plugin to suit my needs.

Current I have two copies of the same folder on two different disks for one reason or another I am not sure which one is the most recent so I would like to simply 'move' folder from disk 1 over to folder a in disk 2. However, even when I click on overwrite existing files it seems to create a new folder with the exact same name which is no what I would expect. See screenshot and folders 12 and 13 on the right widnow.

Also I have search everywhere, what does the 'use sparse option' do. I cant find it being mentioned here and the documentation one page one appears to be out of date.

Any clarity one the above would be appreciated. 

image.thumb.png.00f895e311bed889ff496dd7d8f732ee.png

Cheers 

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

There can't be 2 folders with the same name in the same location so likely there's a different character in the 2 names (note it's case-sensitive too). Maybe list in terminal, might be more obvious there

Hi. There appears to be from what I can see. Anyways, can you help with my questions above. How can I copy from one disk to another and overwrite the same folders without creating a duplicate?

Also what does the  'use sparse option' do?
Thanks

image.png

Edited by mrmint

As said that can't be so look in terminal, the GUI might be hiding a difference. If different then fix that so they're the same then it'll work.

Sparse is for files e.g VM vdisks that are allocated as sparse, i.e. even if the file is supposed to be 100GB it'll only use what's actually needed until all of it gets actually used, saves space. Copying without the sparse option would make them use the full size, the option however retains the savings.