Cannot boot Dell PowerEdge R520

Hello, I have been having a lot of issues, but I think I have worked through all of them except the core.

I had Unraid (6.9.2) running on an old Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H motherboard computer I build in 2012 but ultimately decided to return that to my main windows machine and migrate the drives to something specific for Unraid. I found an R520 on ebay. when it arrived I powered it on, and everything seemed to have worked. I downloaded the full package of firmware and bios updates from Dell and successfully installed. I however am unable to boot from the usb drive. I get a "This is not a bootable disk. Please insert a bootable floppy and press any key to try again."

I also tried UEFI boot, but found the same memory load problem which everyone is apparently clear cannot be overcome, so I have remained in BIOS mode.

Concerned about the possibility that the drive failed somehow, I plugged the thumb drive back into the Gigabyte computer (without moving the drives back) and confirmed it boots right up. I have tried placing the usb on the front and back of the R520 but it seems to make no difference. 

I have seen a supposed "legacy bios" boot option, but I cannot find it. Does anyone know something about how I can proceed, or find out what may be bad in this machine? Everything seems to be operating as it would expect except this.

Thank you,

Eric