Updated to 6.10 rc3 and VM wont display

dmwa

Hi,

Thanks ahead for help.

I just ran the update for 6.10rc3. But I have been unable to get the Windows 11 Vm to start.  Worked in previous versions.

I updated the libvirt driver in Settings/VM Manager  to virtio-win-0.1.215-2.iso

I edited the VM to have Machine Q35-6.2.  I think it was on 6.1 before

And I set the VirtIO drivers ISO to the virtio-win-0.1.215-2.iso

Have a NVIDIA GTX960 passed through

The VM shows started but it doesn't initiate the graphics and the screen stays blank.  Log attached.  

Changing the grphics to VNC I just get "guest has not initialized display yet.

Every so often after several attempts to start the vm I get a message pop up:

Execution error

Internal error:qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor:  2022-3-12T00:32:19.022257Z qemu-system-x86_64:-device

{"driver":"pcie-pci-bridge","id":"pci.7","bus"."pci.1","addr"."0x0"}: 

Bus 'pci.1' not found

Any ideas?

vm log.docx

The libvirt log shows the following after a couple of tries.

2022-03-12 03:44:21.067+0000: 24589: info : libvirt version: 7.10.0

2022-03-12 03:44:21.067+0000: 24589: info : hostname: Cosmos

2022-03-12 03:44:21.067+0000: 24589: error : qemuMonitorIORead:494 : Unable to read from monitor: Connection reset by peer

2022-03-12 03:44:21.068+0000: 24589: error : qemuProcessReportLogError:2107 : internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2022-03-12T03:44:21.030353Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device {"driver":"pcie-pci-bridge","id":"pci.7","bus":"pci.1","addr":"0x0"}: Bus 'pci.1' not found

Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

No.  I didn't receive any suggestions - perhaps I submitted to the boards in the wrong place.  Unraid is the only forum I have ever used so not sure really how to use it.

In the end I built another VM.  And with each update I am not updating virtio driver.  No complications so far.

So not sure if it was updating the virtio drive was the issue - or I am doing something wrong when updating the virtio driver?

Beyond me, sorry.

When I created a new VM this last time I did so on a new SSD as I didn't want to delete the others in case I could work out how to access them later.   New SSD, new Cache name and new VM with the latest virtio drivers at the time.  So it worked when everything was new.  

Updates since them I haven't been game to change the virtio driver.

The funny thing was I had a far older VM - my first VM attempt with whatever driver there was at the time, on the same cache drive as those that ceased working.  That I discovered later still opened.  My more recent ones were the ones that failed.

Closest I get is recreating a new one with the old disk images, using the OVMF TPM bios, which gives me the bios display on my monitor but then freezes with 0% cpu usage. Using the original setup which was seabios with Q35-4.2 the first assigned cpu core goes to 100% and stays pegged, left it overnight for 8 hours and it stayed that way.

I have similar gpu passthrough problems with one of my Windows 10 VM after upgrading from 6.9.2 to 6.10

VM 1: not running anymore

• BIOS: SeaBIOS
  • Chipset: i440fx-4-1
  • vdisk1: SATA
  • vdisk2: VirtIO
  • Graphics: Nvidia 1050TI passthrough
  • BIOS-ROM: yes
  • Sound: Nvidia 1050TI
  • Network: br0.5, virtio-net

VM 2: still running fine

• BIOS: OVMF
  • Chipset: i440fx-4-1
  • vdisk1: VirtIO
  • Graphics: Nvidia 1050TI passthrough
  • BIOS-ROM: yes
  • Sound: Nvidia 1050TI
  • Network: br0.5, virtio-net

With Vm 1 I tried almost everyting.

• After adding VNC as primary and keeping the nvidia as secondary card it boots up and I can connect with VNC.
    The nvidia card is detected by Windows and I can install nvidia drivers but I have no monitor output.
  • Switching from GPU passthrough to only VNC works: VM boots fine.
  • Switching from SATA to virtIO: VM does not boot.
  • I made a new VM (same settings as the original VM 1)
    1.  using the original vdisk: VM does not boot.
    2. using a new vdisk, installed Windows: VM does not boot.
    3. using a new vdisk and changed the chipset (to i440fx-6-** and Q35-**), installed Windows: VM does not boot
    4. using the original vdisk and changed the chipset (to i440fx-6-** and Q35-**): VM does not boot

What I realized:

• Each time I have only the nvidia card as primary card without VNC the machine VM 1 won't even touch the vdisk file.
    The file modification date of the vdisk file does not change, so it seems the vm does not find the disk!
  • Nothings works when using SeaBIOS....? Is this the problem?

I ended up by installing a new VM with BIOS: OVMF, Chipset: i440fx-6-2, vdisk1: virtIO, gpu: passthrough with rom file, Network: br0.5, virtio-net and it worked immediately.

I will keep the old VM with VNC, because of the data and the software installed till I've migrated everything to the new vm.

Also I will perhaps try to get gpu passthrough working again on my old VM if someone finds a method how to do this.

I just updated to 6.10.2 rc3 and AGAIN the VM ceased to work.  Same issue everyone else is finding.  4th VM I have had to build from scratch again.

Even the VM that was working and had survived several updates on 6.10 RC3-RC8 now displays nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

I was having a similar problem where my Windows 10 vm, using SeaBIOS and GPU passthrough, wouldn't boot after ugrading Unraid to 6.10. Switching from GPU passthrough to VNC allowed me to boot the VM.

I was able to solve this issue by using OVMF instead of SeaBIOS. To convert my Windows 10 VM from SeaBIOS to OVMF I first booted using VNC and then followed the instruction on this thread to convert my VM from SeaBIOS to OVMF. Don't forget to first make a backup of your vdisk image so you can restore it if anything goes wrong.

When I first ran these instruction I got a "MBR2GPT: Cannot find OS partition(s) for disk 0" message. In case someone has the same issue, I solved this with the following steps

1. Run CMD as administrator
  2. run "bcdedit"
  3. Under the "Windows Boot Loader" section copy the recoverysequence
  4. run "bcdedit /delete your_recoverysequence"
  • 1 month later...

This might not be your guys' issue but:
1) I dumped the vbios and added it in passing thru GPU, using SpaceInvader video. [Still getting blank screen; so...
2) Double check your logs and your VM logs for signs of issue. I was getting: "BAR 0: CAN'T RESERVE" issue. This thread helped me resolve it. 

• 4 months later...

No.  I did try exploring some of the suggestions listed by others above but I ended up with a serious health issue that put me in hospital for a while.  I can't recall if I actually completed any of their suggestions (possibly one but I can't recall which) and I was just happy I had a working VM when I came out that I didn't explore further.   {Thanks everyone for the guidance though.}  

There was also the following that may have been a solution:

-another unraid issue occurred, from which I was told my USB was likely faulty and to get a new USB and reinstall unraid.  Did so and it fixed the other problem and possibly this issue too.  And am unsure how long the USB had been faulty.

- I had stopped using my Windows 11 VM after Windows started to tell me my machine didn't have the required specifications after one of the Windows 11 updates.  So reverted to a Windows 10 VM, creating a new VM in the process - VM's created after an update still seem to allow the GPU through from my previous experiences.  But I have done updates since that haven't lost the gpu.  

I'll try Win 11 again at some point in the future but I can't be bothered to fight Windows now. 

My original and first VM, a  Windows 10 VM, had kept working, never encountering this issue with the GPU.  (Possibly was made before the USB started stuffing up if that was the issue).