[Support] Paperless-ngx Docker

Yesterday I installed paperless-ngx on opensuse 15.4. via bash -c "$(curl -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/paperless-ngx/paperless-ngx/main/install-paperless-ngx.sh)"Installed without a problem.
I removed all containers and images and tried this morning to re-install, however I now get following error:

Pulling broker    ... error
Pulling gotenberg ... error
Pulling tika      ... error
Pulling webserver ... error

ERROR: for tika  Get "https://ghcr.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup ghcr.io on [::1]:53: dial udp [::1]:53: connect: cannot assign requested address

ERROR: for webserver  Get "https://ghcr.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup ghcr.io on [::1]:53: dial udp [::1]:53: connect: cannot assign requested address

ERROR: for gotenberg  Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: dial udp [::1]:53: connect: cannot assign requested address

ERROR: for broker  Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: dial udp [::1]:53: connect: cannot assign requested address
ERROR: Get "https://ghcr.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup ghcr.io on [::1]:53: dial udp [::1]:53: connect: cannot assign requested address
Get "https://ghcr.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup ghcr.io on [::1]:53: dial udp [::1]:53: connect: cannot assign requested address
Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: dial udp [::1]:53: connect: cannot assign requested address
Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: dial udp [::1]:53: connect: cannot assign requested address

Any tips and trics about what I did wrong.

Hi everyone,

I encounter a strange issue. When restarting unraid server, paperless-ngx looses all documents and users reverting to default admin. It only happens when restarting the whole server. If I restart both paperless and redis docker, no problem. Documents are still in my shares but. I'm still in testing phase so no harm done but I really want to stabilize this.

Could you point me in the right direction to investigate this ?

7 hours ago, VertPingouin said:

Could you point me in the right direction to investigate this ?

Make sure the container configuration folders are pointed at an actual physical storage location, for instance if you save the config to /mnt/cache but you don't actually have a storage pool named "cache" then the configuration files would only exist in RAM, and be lost on server reboot.

On 1/27/2023 at 1:03 AM, c0rrre said:

There were no errors in the log.

I found a solution for the never ending queue problem. 

Downgrading Redis to Version 6.0 fixed the problem :)

Unfortunately, this didnt work for me.  I tried various repos for redis 6.0.  Everything still sits in the queue.  

Unraid 6.11.5, Docker version status for paperless-ngx has been "not available" for around a day. I update these things routinely so it's odd. db-backup docker also in this state but only those 2 (of 20). Repo says "ghcr.io/paperless-ngx/paperless-ngx". Best I can tell it's still there.

UPDATE: Installed the CA Docker Patch plugin and all seems well again.

Edited by Abe677
  • Upvote 3

I am running in the same issue:

Since some days docker of paperless-ngx shows as version "not available" on Unraid 6.11.5.

When opening paperless I see that a new version is available (1.12.2; currently it is 1.11.3).

Repository is ghcr.io/paperless-ngx/paperless-ngx aswell.

Any ideas how to get the image updated?

On 1/30/2023 at 1:06 PM, Abe677 said:

Unraid 6.11.5, Docker version status for paperless-ngx has been "not available" for around a day. I update these things routinely so it's odd. db-backup docker also in this state but only those 2 (of 20). Repo says "ghcr.io/paperless-ngx/paperless-ngx". Best I can tell it's still there.

Same issue. Paperless needed to connect to the Redis DB to work properly.
Installing the CA Docker Patch plugin solved the problem and enabled the updates for Paperless and Redis as @Abe677 pointed out.

Thanks!

I just solved a problem I was having with adding the PAPERLESS_TRASH_DIR parameter that I wanted to share.

As mentioned in the Paperless documentation the default value of this parameter is "Defaults to empty (i.e. really delete documents)."

Because it is empty it is never mapped to any container path - I verified this by looking in the /paperless.conf.example and src/paperless/settings.py file.

So because of this you first need to create a container variable for PAPERLESS_TRASH_DIR and map it to a container path such as /usr/src/paperless/media/trash because nothing is ever defined for this.

Now that we have defined the variable to the container path, we can then proceed with mapping the container path /usr/src/paperless/media/trash to a host path such as /mnt/user/data/media/documents/paperless-ngx/media/trash/.

Finally after doing this when deleting a file it should be moved to the host path folder /mnt/user/data/media/documents/paperless-ngx/media/trash/ and not be permanently deleted.

image.thumb.png.982b8e2a23d68a7518cb44be1668b705.png

Edited by SOULV1CE
  • Thanks 1

I did a search for Genius Scan Ultra or Pro, I ended up subscribing but from what I have tried so far and read so far, if someone can clarify is as follows:

• Genius Scan Pro, Ultra or Free cannot work with Paperless ngx directly.  Works cloud, ftp and "webdav".
  • You'd need a middle/app like NextCloud or some other to have the webdav.

Do we have a suggested, nice app, paid or free to work straight to smb/share or similar to autoexport to Unraid share for paperless-ngx to process? There was one app Scan pro that there was mentioned that was kicked off the store for having malware few years back.

- I need something to auto-export, do OCR and have option to scan 2-4 pictures into one single pdf.

Thanks,

Hi all. Seems after 24 hours consuming documents, my docker.img is full. What I have noticed that tmp is huge inside, shall I map it outside docker? If yes, how? Do I need to move existing tmp inside docker outside, if yes, how? Thank you all. 

After mapping tmp outside, some documents are failing with /tmp/some_directory is not empty....

Edited by mucflyer
On 1/31/2023 at 4:24 PM, cYnd said:

I am running in the same issue:

Since some days docker of paperless-ngx shows as version "not available" on Unraid 6.11.5.

When opening paperless I see that a new version is available (1.12.2; currently it is 1.11.3).

Repository is ghcr.io/paperless-ngx/paperless-ngx aswell.

Any ideas how to get the image updated?

Same here for me.

Paperless-ngx seems to stuck on version 1.11.3. Although there is the actual version 1.12.2, unraid shows "not available" on the version.

I tried to change the repository to

ghcr.io/paperless-ngx/paperless-ngx:latest

as shown in the post from @jeypiti, but no luck.

There seems actual no indication, that the container will be updated ...

Has somebody a solution?

27 minutes ago, diarun said:

Same here for me.

Paperless-ngx seems to stuck on version 1.11.3. Although there is the actual version 1.12.2, unraid shows "not available" on the version.

I tried to change the repository to

ghcr.io/paperless-ngx/paperless-ngx:latest

as shown in the post from @jeypiti, but no luck.

There seems actual no indication, that the container will be updated ...

Has somebody a solution?

On 1/30/2023 at 1:06 PM, Abe677 said:

This did the trick for me.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, __nonSENSE said:

This did the trick for me.

I had CA Docker Patch already installed, no luck.

But then I saw, that there was a “force update” below “not available”.

So, just done and the force was with me. 😁 Jep, now I have the newest version.

I don't saw this option, because I use the docker folder plugin and was on the basic view.

THX for the hint, it was somehow a direction ...

Edit: Changed back to 1.11.3 and the container started up.

Hello,

Was just updating the container (worked previously) and got a flood of errors that I am not sure how to approach to fix. Does anyone know what might be going on? Here is my docker log:

02/12/2023 12:39:09 PM
Paperless-ngx docker container starting...
Mapping UID and GID for paperless:paperless to 99:100
Creating directory /tmp/paperless
Adjusting permissions of paperless files. This may take a while.
02/12/2023 12:39:10 PM
Waiting for Redis...
Connected to Redisbroker.
Apply database migrations...
02/12/2023 12:39:11 PM
Operations to perform:
  Apply all migrations: admin, auth, authtoken, contenttypes, django_celery_results, documents, paperless_mail, sessions
Running migrations:
  No migrations to apply.
Running Django checks
02/12/2023 12:39:12 PM
System check identified no issues (0 silenced).
02/12/2023 12:39:13 PM
Search index out of date. Updating...
02/12/2023 12:39:14 PM
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/paperless/src/manage.py", line 11, in <module>
    execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 446, in execute_from_command_line
    utility.execute()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 440, in execute
    self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 402, in run_from_argv
    self.execute(*args, **cmd_options)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 448, in execute
    output = self.handle(*args, **options)
  File "/usr/src/paperless/src/documents/management/commands/document_index.py", line 23, in handle
    index_reindex(progress_bar_disable=options["no_progress_bar"])
  File "/usr/src/paperless/src/documents/tasks.py", line 56, in index_reindex
    index.update_document(writer, document)
  File "/usr/src/paperless/src/documents/index.py", line 96, in update_document
    writer.update_document(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/whoosh/writing.py", line 1024, in update_document
    self._record("update_document", args, kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/whoosh/writing.py", line 1001, in _record
    getattr(self.writer, method)(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/whoosh/writing.py", line 490, in update_document
    self.add_document(**fields)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/whoosh/writing.py", line 750, in add_document
    for tbytes, freq, weight, vbytes in items:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/whoosh/fields.py", line 669, in index
    yield (self.to_bytes(num, shift), 1, 1.0, emptybytes)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/whoosh/fields.py", line 722, in to_bytes
    x = self. prepare_number(x)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/whoosh/fields.py", line 691, in prepare_number
    raise ValueError("Numeric field value %s out of range [%s, %s]"
ValueError: Numeric field value 2103160808804802 out of range [0, 4294967295]
12/31/1969 7:00:00 PM
container stopped

Edited by Nesquik
On 2/13/2023 at 12:29 AM, severanced said:

I upgraded to Paperless-NGX and I'm really happy with how it looks! Does anyone have an idea on if I did something wrong to get "not available" whenever I do a check for a new version?

Screenshot 2023-02-12 182718.png

Literally just 2 posts above people were talkin about that issue and their solution.

Worked for me, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Basic question, couldn't find answers on the project page:  Is it possible to import and assign tag at the same time?  This is instead of the 2 step process of 1) Import, 2) go into the UX to click and assign tags

For instance, if I scan a whole big pile of docs that should have the same tag, it seems inefficient to go and manually tag them vs. assign them more automatically at time of import.

ex: setup >1 import folders for each tag?  Is this possible or are there other approaches I should use?

19 hours ago, Tomahawk51 said:

Basic question, couldn't find answers on the project page:  Is it possible to import and assign tag at the same time?  This is instead of the 2 step process of 1) Import, 2) go into the UX to click and assign tags

For instance, if I scan a whole big pile of docs that should have the same tag, it seems inefficient to go and manually tag them vs. assign them more automatically at time of import.

ex: setup >1 import folders for each tag?  Is this possible or are there other approaches I should use?

I have it setup so a 'new' tag is assigned to everything as it's imported (and a view that shows only the 'new' by default.) I then manually review and remove the new tag.

You can also edit a batch of them all at the same time from the list view no need to do them individually if you know they are all the same.

I've found the automatic/AI tagging to be pretty decent after a few rounds, seems to get the tags right more often then not, but you need to do import/tagging in batches - it only learns after you correct things, so items in the 'new' queue won't take advantage of the AI learnings from earlier in the batch.

15 hours ago, seestray said:

I have it setup so a 'new' tag is assigned to everything as it's imported (and a view that shows only the 'new' by default.) I then manually review and remove the new tag.

You can also edit a batch of them all at the same time from the list view no need to do them individually if you know they are all the same.

I've found the automatic/AI tagging to be pretty decent after a few rounds, seems to get the tags right more often then not, but you need to do import/tagging in batches - it only learns after you correct things, so items in the 'new' queue won't take advantage of the AI learnings from earlier in the batch.

Thanks for the reply.   Yes, I have started using an Inbox tag as well, and I understand how this can help in the workflow.  I still don't see how I can do what I ideally want, in the context of going through a substantial backlog of docs that might already be organized.  

As a workaround, I think I'll try:

1.  cleaning out all my inbox items to get to a baseline
  2. creating subfolders aligned to tags outside of the import folder
  3. scan directly to these staging folders
  4. manually drag each subfolder's contents in 1 by 1, and then mass tag them in the UI

I think this will add some efficiency for me.  I think I'll go add a feature request as well for what I really want:  >1 import folder that can be assigned to tags/metadata or an alternative solution.

12 hours ago, Tomahawk51 said:

Thanks for the reply.   Yes, I have started using an Inbox tag as well, and I understand how this can help in the workflow.  I still don't see how I can do what I ideally want, in the context of going through a substantial backlog of docs that might already be organized.  

what I really want:  >1 import folder that can be assigned to tags/metadata or an alternative solution.

So if they are already organized, I would scan each batch to the watched folder, go to the paperless inbox view - tag that batch, then scan the next batch, tag it and repeat.

Over a couple of evenings I think I scanned in ~500 docs which got most of my semi-recent stuff off my desk.

• Like 1

Thought I would add a little bit of documentation - I did the cache swap procedure to replace/add a second cache drive - it caused an issue where paperless would not start after reinstalling all the dockers (it was the only one that had an issue) nothing changed with my config. (Don't know if it is fully related, but either way, figure this is the best spot to add in case someone else has the issue.)

From the startup log, this was the only thing that stood out:

django.db.utils.IntegrityError: CHECK constraint failed: archive_serial_number
  Applying documents.1029_alter_document_archive_serial_number...Paperless-ngx docker container starting...

I don't use the ASN feature, but since I didn't have anything else to go on, turns out one of my documents had the ASN set to '-2' and this was enough to prevent it from starting.

To fix:

open terminal
cd /mnt/cache/appdata/paperless-ngx/data#ls -l

/mnt/cache/appdata/paperless-ngx/data#ls -l

make note of the current permissions for the database
 /mnt/cache/appdata/paperless-ngx/data# chmod 777 db.sqlite3
    change to allow all to write (we will change it back at the end)

Open the documents_document table in DB Browser for SQLite, look for archive_serial_number that is out of range (negative or huge), set them to a null, or other valid value.

back to terminal,
 /mnt/cache/appdata/paperless-ngx/data# chmod 644 db.sqlite3

At this point I was able to start paperless-ngx again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Trying to install paperless-ngx from APPS menu, but getting error. Redis already installed.

docker run
  -d
  --name='paperless-ngx'
  --net='bridge'
  -e TZ="Europe/London"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_HOSTNAME="NeivesUnraid"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="paperless-ngx"
  -e 'PAPERLESS_REDIS'='redis://192.168.68.240:6379'
  -e 'PAPERLESS_OCR_LANGUAGE'='pt'
  -e 'PAPERLESS_OCR_LANGUAGES'='pt'
  -e 'PAPERLESS_FILENAME_FORMAT'='{created}-{correspondent}-{title}'
  -e 'PAPERLESS_TIME_ZONE'='Europe/London'
  -e 'PAPERLESS_IGNORE_DATES'=''
  -e 'PAPERLESS_CONSUMER_POLLING'='0'
  -e 'PAPERLESS_SECRET_KEY'='e11fl1oa-*ytql8p)(06fbj4ukrlo+n7k&q5+$1md7i+mge=ee'
  -e 'USERMAP_UID'='99'
  -e 'USERMAP_GID'='100'
  -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
  -l net.unraid.docker.webui='http://[IP]:[PORT:8000]'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/selfhosters/unRAID-CA-templates/master/templates/img/paperless.png'
  -p '8000:8000/tcp'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/paperless-ngx/data':'/usr/src/paperless/data':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/paperless-ngx/media':'/usr/src/paperless/media':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/paperless-ngx/consume':'/usr/src/paperless/consume':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/paperless-ngx/export':'/usr/src/paperless/export':'rw' 'ghcr.io/paperless-ngx/paperless-ngx'
Unable to find image 'ghcr.io/paperless-ngx/paperless-ngx:latest' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: Head "https://ghcr.io/v2/paperless-ngx/paperless-ngx/manifests/latest": Get "https://ghcr.io/token?scope=repository%3Apaperless-ngx%2Fpaperless-ngx%3Apull&service=ghcr.io": net/http: request canceled (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers).
See 'docker run --help'.

The command failed.