How is everyone's experience with UnRAID?

HeroRareheart

I've been trying to deploy TrueNAS Scale on a server so I could use it to host a Minecraft server, Satisfactory server, and a NAS. It's been 2 weeks of hell running into a ridiculous amount of unexplainable bugs that haven't been documented before and I am at my limit. The TrueNAS forums are a wasteland of dead posts and unhelpful people that seem to be gatekeeping. Could I use UnRAID for this type of deployment and more importantly if I encounter an issue are the forums here a friendly welcoming environment where I can seek help from others? IF the product is better and the community is nicer I'm more them willing to throw $$$ at a license to avoid literally 2 weeks of unbridled rage and being treated poorly when seeking out assistance.

• Like 1

Hello @HeroRareheart and welcome, can't comment for "everyone's" experience, only my own. :)

But I've been here for almost two years and I've seen tons of helpful comments and generally nice people willing to help each other.

But don't hesitate to have a look in the most frequented forum sections such as General support, Disk and Controllers, Hardware, etc.

As for your use case, the NAS part is the roots of the OS, so that's should be OK. I checked, there are Minecraft and Satisfactory servers dockers.

Note that there is a 30 days free trial (with possible 15 days extension).

There are a lot of very intersting video by Spaceinvaderone, Ibracorp, etc. if you want the see how it works, what are the possibilities. :) 

• Thanks 2

I've been using unraid for 10years 12years. Now keep in mind your experience can very on how robust you try to make your server. If your using it for simple file storage and something like Plex Media server it works great. If you start throwing all kinds of custom configs running all kinds of crazy VM's and other things it could get really complicated. 

Just grab the trail and see how it goes. 😁

• Like 1

I'm looking at now 10 years since discovering Unraid and buying my license after only reading the manual.  The OS is as simple or as complicated as you need / want it to be.  From a basic file server to an app server to running multiple VMs simultaneously to everything in between.  Like anything else, a learning curve exists, but as you gain more confidence you'll love tinkering with it.

And new must-have features are in the works for upcoming releases.

As you'll notice from the post counts by some of the people replying here, this forum is very helpful.  A family even.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought my first license in February 2011.  One of the best value software purchases I have ever made.  Recommended.

@HeroRareheart I recommend a trial license before you take the plunge to give yourself a little time to find your way around.  However, when you have issues, people here are generally very helpful.  I have never noticed any of the "gatekeeping" that you have found to be a problem elsewhere.  Note that a trial license does require your server to have a on-line connection to Lime Technology (the developers) as part of the license validation process; a paid-for license does not require this, however. 

Edited by S80_UK
  • Like 1