[SUPPORT] SmartPhoneLover - Obsidian

obsidian_banner.png

This docker template was created based on an already available docker image

Forum: https://forum.obsidian.md/

Forum (support thread): https://forum.obsidian.md/t/self-hosted-docker-instance/3788
GitHub: https://github.com/sytone/obsidian-remote

GitHub (Docker): https://github.com/sytone/obsidian-remote/pkgs/container/obsidian-remote
My Repository: https://github.com/SmartPhoneLover/unraid-docker-templates

DESCRIPTION
Obsidian is a powerful knowledge base on top of a local folder of plain text Markdown files.

Features:

- Graph view

- Backlinks

- Outgoing links

- Plugins support

- Themes

- Custom CSS

- Future-proof format (use of Markdowns)

- Total control (local storage)

- Always available (completely offline)

NOTES
• When creating a vault, place it under '/vaults' dir, located in the root of the container (inside Obsidian).

VERSION
1.0 (2022-03-14)

If you are going to report a bug or request something to be added/modified, please, take into consideration that I will only be able to apply changes for the work I own only. For example, if I create a docker template for an already existing docker image (not created by me), I won't be able to do more for that image than forward your report or request to the owner of the project.

If you like my work, please consider making a little donation.
- DONATE -
Thank you very much 🙂

Edited by SmartPhoneLover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We must be on the same wavelength - I literally just started building my own container for this one, after discovering obsidian a couple weeks ago thanks to Wendell over at Level1Techs... Only to find it in CA this morning!

Great work, and thanks!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, muppie said:

Does anyone know how to set this up so it can be used with on an ipad via the Obsidian app?

No*, this is just a vm running obsidian.
*It does store the files on your server so if you can map that directory or mirror it to your ipad you can load it in the obsidian app.

On 3/14/2022 at 9:12 AM, muppie said:

Does anyone know how to set this up so it can be used with on an ipad via the Obsidian app?

I've mine mapped to the Notes folder from my nextcloud location - you'll have to set up nextcloud to scan for file changes on occasion for this to work properly, but once done, it works out pretty well.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:12 AM, muppie said:

On 3/15/2022 at 2:21 PM, BVD said:

I've mine mapped to the Notes folder from my nextcloud location - you'll have to set up nextcloud to scan for file changes on occasion for this to work properly, but once done, it works out pretty well.

I think for the official support, Obsidian app on iDevices only support iCloud and owned Sync service from Obsidian. Other approaches they still not recommend it because you will loose the key features of Obsidian due how the file management on Apple devices works.

Having the container means you don't have to care about anything other than having a browser to access. I don't mind paying for good software. I do mind paying a monthly subscription just so I can access the same content on all my devices.

Awesome, I had been wondering when somebody would put a docker image together for it. One question though, the rendering of the GUI is done by the host machine or am I wrong? It is a little choppy and tears when you move the windows inside it, so I wonder if hardware acceleration could be somehow brought into it? Not that it really needs it considering one is writing mostly just text in it, but I have a GPU in my Unraid machine and use it for Plex, can I have the image make use of it as well?

• 5 months later...

On 3/15/2022 at 7:21 PM, BVD said:

Also tryed to use sync by nextcloud on Android ,but its only sync to nextcloud sever (from my expirience) 

but fully working with Syncthing two ways on Notes Folder in Android and Notes in Unraid share that you can use in obsidian web container.

Also there unnoficial plugins for sync for nextcloud webdav. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I managed to add the dockermod git, but since I sync my vaults via GitHub I cannot use password authentication.
I tried copying a working (on another device) config and keys into  ~/.ssh  then /config/.ssh and /config/.config/.ssh but none of them seem to be working

Edit: I found out that known_hosts keys gets created in /root/.ssh so I moved my files there and that worked.
Also make sure to adjust filepaths in the config, I had my Identityfiles with absolute paths like "~/.ssh/key1" and such

Also found out: ~/ is actually mapped to /vaults/ ?? Shouldn't that be mapped to /root/ for root user?

And, it looks like the user running obsidian is 'abc', whose home folder is /config.
I was about to complain that it should be /vaults (so they would pop up when you go "open from folder", but with /config it will find /config/.ssh

Soooo, I guess don't open the shell from unraid / docker menu, but use xterm instead.
You'll still have to change ownership of files, bc the files I moved into appdata/obsidian/config folder had root as owner.
So to do that I went via the unraid/docker menu, cause I do not know the root password in the container and logs me in as root :D
But again it turns out: no password needed to run sudo commands as user 'abc' :D so you can also do this as user abc:

sudo chown abc:abc -R /config/.ssh

I also needed to adjust permissions:

sudo chmod 700 /config/.ssh
sudo chmod 600 /config/.ssh/*

sudo chmod 644 /config/.ssh/*.pub

So I first put the more restrictive 600 -rw------- on all files in the folder and then I add 644  -rw-r--r-- on the publickeys only.

And now it works :)

Edited by wambo
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 7:55 PM, Masterism said:

The version of obsidian that this container uses is 8 months out of date. Is there a way to update it?

I changed the image to braintobytes/obsidian-remote. That image has the same configuration (it's a fork of sytone/obsidian-remote) but uses a python script to download the latest Obsidian version upon image creation.

Check the Dockerfile for the update steps if reference is needed.

This configuration is also missing the usual PUID=99 and PGID=100 variables for writing files in good permissions for the share, just in case you encounter issues while accessing the files from another Obsidian installation in your PC.

image.thumb.png.667a779250970754423030ac66fe2139.png

Edited by djismgaming
latest version screenshot
  • 1 month later...
On 4/20/2023 at 3:59 AM, djismgaming said:

This configuration is also missing the usual PUID=99 and PGID=100 variables for writing files in good permissions for the share, just in case you encounter issues while accessing the files from another Obsidian installation in your PC.

I fought for 2 days with Syncthing and my phone (was thinking it was a Syncthing issue) trying to get passed some permission denied issues. Noticed the files and directories this would make were all authored as UNKNOWN. Ultimately I just ended up installing it via the Obsidian official windows installer into my VM, no sync or permission issues after that. I love the idea of running it in a docker though.

• Upvote 1