LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

In myMain, you can add the custom drive attribute "smartopt" and set it to "-A" on each drive connected to the controller.

Does this really remove the -d ATA option which unMENU adds to each smartctl command?  It is this which causes problems with many add-on controllers.

Yes

I'm still not clear why it was felt to be a good idea to force smartctl to attempt to treat every drive as an ATA device.  Although this appears not to upset some SATA controllers, others refuse to 'play' when they're treated as a legacy ATA device.

I have hand-edited every file in unMENU, where necessary, to remove the '-d ATA'.

Not sure if it used to be required but is not now, or if it was just the convention.  As stated above, I provided a way to override the default behavior in myMain.  Not sure about unmenu itself.

Successfully flashed my M1015, thanks for the extra effort madburg!

Me too!  Thanks madburg!  Flawlessly simple.

Two small tips ...

1.  Instead of removing the flash at step 31, I was able to enter the command ...

type adapters.txt

(before powering down) and quickly hit the pause key (might take few tries to catch it, but I was lucky and got it first time).

There was the SAS address, which I wrote down.

Lazily saved me a trip upstairs to read the USB on another computer.

2.  I disabled the interrupt inside the card's firmware

A tip on your tip.

type adapters.txt |more

And it will pause when the screen fills. Press ENTER to display the next line, or SPACEBAR to scroll on to the next screen full.

Hopefully my M1015 flash will go as smoothly as everyone else's.

No "more" command is included in the distro.

Why ?

The interrupt is just used to be able to boot from drives on the card, and tends to mess up boot order to the USB.

Why ?

The interrupt is just used to be able to boot from drives on the card, and tends to mess up boot order to the USB.

+1 (I have a screenshot I added to the OP for this, a while back.)

Glad everyone is having good success. I have been out of pocket so trying to catch up on the forums. If anyone is still having any problems, just post and I will try to help.

Someone posted about the Fujitsu D2607, that is a Mega card, please make sure you follow the steps to wipe that card clean and then upgrade to a SAS2008 Bios/Firmware, should work, but dont have anyones record for that card, so becareful.

Are you guys saying the download links are not working?

I logged into the fileswap site, all the zip's are there and available to download?

I tried a few, all were good, I just tried the mega and recieved:

Error downloading: LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip

The storage node this file is currently on is currently undergoing emergency maintenance and is currently unavailable.

How long has this been down?

hi - i'm reading thru this thread before flashing. i just received my Br10i last week. When I press Control C at the boot screen to enter configuration, nothing happens... do I need to have a drive attached in order to enter the screen?

thanks for the good work madburg. i'm reading each reply ...

hi - i'm reading thru this thread before flashing. i just received my Br10i last week. When I press Control C at the boot screen to enter configuration, nothing happens... do I need to have a drive attached in order to enter the screen?

Nope, it should go right into the lsi bios, what type of MB, any other cards installed?

So I picked up a megaraid card (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160638242230) which was showing up during boot as:

LSI MegaRAID SAS-MFI BIOS

Version 4.24.00 (Build March 03, 2011)

FW package: 20.10.1-0036

I then grabbed madburg's zip - LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P10).zip - 6.38 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key) and things went well until step 5.

When I run either 5it or 5ir I get a message like PeterB reported: Failed to initialze PAL.

Not really sure what to do at this point. I'm running on an Asus P8P67 PRO (Rev 3.1) if that matters.

Since the previous step was to wipe the SBR and clear BIOS I'm sort of stuck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT - It runs this command sas2flsh.exe -l Flashlog.txt -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

but there is no Flashlog.txt written to the usb stick...

Nope, it should go right into the lsi bios, what type of MB, any other cards installed?

It's the IBM Br10i, there are a couple of version numbers on the screen:

don't know what they represent.

When i press Control + C, it tells me that configuration screen will be loaded after initilization - and the machine proceeds to boot as normal.

At the moment it's in my HTPC - on a ASUS P6X58D-E mobo, 12GB ram, there's an on-board Marvel Sata card, an ATI Radeon 5770, and that's pretty much it. might try to put a drive on it to see if that helps - didn't think I needed to tho. eBay seller doesn't have much info about the card.

Thanks!

I have same issue on a Asus P5b -Plus Vista edition

i upgraded he bios and firmware successfully with a bootable usb stick but still can't enter the BR10 BIOS

same error as you

i have seen some other message come up before it continues to boot but till now was never quick enough to catch it :P

I assume that our nvram is not big enough to load the bios .... not sure though

I see prostuff regularly say to disable interrupt 19 on system boards .... i know i can disable things in irg .... but what does this irq 19 do ?

Can somebody please post the LSI_MegaRAID_to_SAS2008(P10).zip file somewhere as the link is still not working.  I received 3 of these cards via FedEx yesterday and have had 6 3TB drives sitting on my desk waiting for a couple of weeks.

It figures the link stopped working as soon as I got the controller...  :)

Or I can PM my email if some kind soul could email it to me.

Thanks for any help!

I have same issue on a Asus P5b -Plus Vista edition

i upgraded he bios and firmware successfully with a bootable usb stick but still can't enter the BR10 BIOS

same error as you

i have seen some other message come up before it continues to boot but till now was never quick enough to catch it :P

I assume that our nvram is not big enough to load the bios .... not sure though

I see prostuff regularly say to disable interrupt 19 on system boards .... i know i can disable things in irg .... but what does this irq 19 do ?

crud - both of my boards are the same model so i can't even test this out.

If i flash to IT mode (only reason I bought the card) do I even need to change anything in the card's bios? I know madburg mentioned disabling boot support... but the motherboard bios allows you to disallow booting from add-on cards - so i'm guessing that's not needed?

i might try disable irq 19 to see if i can at least get into the card's bios.

I copied all the source files to another file sharing service (Mediafire) all links should be good now. Please try again and report any problems.

Disabling boot support is not critical just keeps you away from headaches and posts faster. Maybe MB's that are more geared to the consumer market have problems with these type/style cards and/or their bios.

This really should be easy stuff. As I meantioned before if you can get it flashed and configured the way you wish via someone elses PC/Server and put back into yours its worth doing. I have created most of the zip's and testing off of a SuperMicro motherboard and a Dell Presicion T3500 (whatever MB that is in there).

So I picked up a megaraid card (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160638242230) which was showing up during boot as:

LSI MegaRAID SAS-MFI BIOS

Version 4.24.00 (Build March 03, 2011)

FW package: 20.10.1-0036

I then grabbed madburg's zip - LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P10).zip - 6.38 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key) and things went well until step 5.

When I run either 5it or 5ir I get a message like PeterB reported: Failed to initialze PAL.

Not really sure what to do at this point. I'm running on an Asus P8P67 PRO (Rev 3.1) if that matters.

Since the previous step was to wipe the SBR and clear BIOS I'm sort of stuck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT - It runs this command sas2flsh.exe -l Flashlog.txt -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

but there is no Flashlog.txt written to the usb stick...

If you get the failed to initialize pal message, you will have to do the flash using a motherboard with a different chipset.  I had the same problem.  LSI documents the issue here: http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle15807.aspx and here: http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle16266.aspx

I had the same problem on my Intel server board, but it worked fin on the third PC I tired it in.

If you get the failed to initialize pal message, you will have to do the flash using a motherboard with a different chipset.  I had the same problem.  LSI documents the issue here: http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle15807.aspx and here: http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle16266.aspx

I had the same problem on my Intel server board, but it worked fin on the third PC I tired it in.

Thanks for taking the time out and finding these articles Zeron. I know I and most people dont have issues flashing these LSI cards, its a walk in the park, so these seems MB related issues, and again just to flash, they should work fine on those systems though. So thanks for finding those articles (from the horses mouth).

Thanks. Luckily I have a SuperMicro C2SEE and some spare parts so I can give that a try. Tried several versions of sas2flash for linux but none see that card although it shows up via lspci. So, I'm not giving up!

Same error with the C2SEE  ???

Is it possible there is something else going on here or the only two motherboards I have won't work with this? Card is about to go out the window.

The motherboard I tried it on had Intel Q45 and G43 chipsets.  The one it worked on was a HP AMD based system.

If someone could point me to a motherboard that is known to work without the PAL error I would be very grateful. Ideally something that works with an Intel E6300 CPU and DDR3 ram so I don't have to buy a processor and CPU. At this point I'm going to have to buy a motherboard to flash with, but I got a good deal on the card...

Thanks!