LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

For the purposes of unRaid is there any functional differences between the M1015 and the BR10i?  I'm guessing that once we flash these to just be HBAs, they all pretty much perform the same.  Is that correct?  The M1015 seems to be going for $70-80 on ebay and the BR10i can be had for as little as $40.  Not being real familiar with this kind of tech I'm wondering if there any reason to spend the extra money on the M1015.

For the purposes of unRaid is there any functional differences between the M1015 and the BR10i?  I'm guessing that once we flash these to just be HBAs, they all pretty much perform the same.  Is that correct?  The M1015 seems to be going for $70-80 on ebay and the BR10i can be had for as little as $40.  Not being real familiar with this kind of tech I'm wondering if there any reason to spend the extra money on the M1015.

The M1015 supports 6gb/s SAS and also larger drives.

Thanks.  I overlooked the bus speed difference.  What do you mean by suports larger hard drives?  According to the first page, both now support 3TB with the right unRaid version.  Are you saying the BR10i won't support anything larger?

I'm pretty sure the BR10i doesn't support anything larger than 2TB.  I think the BR10i 3TB support refers to allowing multiple smaller drives to appear as one 3TB drive, which isn't really applicable to most unraid usage.

That said, I have the BR10i and it works great with my 2TB drives and beta12a.

BR10i spin down is not working fyi.  unsure about the m1015

the drives spin down fine but when something goes to write to a drive that spun down it does not wake up the drive and the errors start piling up in syslog and then unraid disables the disk and you have deal with drive reconstruction and a parity sync

the drives spin down fine but when something goes to write to a drive that spun down it does not wake up the drive and the errors start piling up in syslog and then unraid disables the disk and you have deal with drive reconstruction and a parity sync

That sounds like the problem spinning up the drives all the LSI owners had with beta 13 & 14, which is why beta12a is recommended.  Which version did you have problems with?

That sounds like the problem spinning up the drives all the LSI owners had with beta 13 & 14, which is why beta12a is recommended.  Which version did you have problems with?

i started having it in 12, i'm going to try to go back to 11 and see if that helps.

thank you. looks like beta 11 did the trick. spin up and down is working with my BRi

Just flashed my m1015, many thanks madburg for putting it all together.

Scripts worked great. Even the usb piece was there. Made it really easy.

Can you point me to that script and flashing instructions?

um... look at the first post in this thread.

Will the M1015 now work without issue in 5.0b14?

I already answered this question.

Thanks for the great information on this post. I'm trying to reflash this back to the original M1015 firmware, and I followed the directions on post #28 but two things:

1. Megarec -writesbr 0 m1015.bin I've only got the file m1015.sbr and not the .bin extension. Is it fine that I used that instead (e.g., Megarec -writesbr 0 m1015.sbr)?

2. After the reboot, and trying the command Megacli -adpfacdefset -a0, I get the below error:

DOS/32A warning (9004): mouse initialization failed

DOS/32A warning (9001): no extended memory has been allocated

DOS/32A fatal (4003): not enough extended memory to load application exec "C:\MEGACLI.EXE"

Am I in trouble?

proper?

Wouldn't proper use the bios provided by IBM.

Is it the only way?

not at all.

I just did mine using the zip madburg posted. I think its in the 2nd or 3rd post of the thread.

proper?

Is it the only way?

not at all.

I just did mine using the zip madburg posted. I think its in the 2nd or 3rd post of the thread.

I mean proper for use in Unraid. I don't think using an IBM bios is the right way.

Will both the madburg and the kkm method lead to the same result. Or is there a "better" method? Either madburg or kkm?

proper?

Is it the only way?

not at all.

I mean proper for use in Unraid. I don't think using an IBM bios is the right way.

Will both the madburg and the kkm method lead to the same result. Or is there a "better" method? Either madburg or kkm?

that makes more sense..my bad

For unRaid you want IT mode

Both methods have had successes posted. kkm does a job job laying out the process but it's all command line. To me madburg's seem a bit safer being mostly scripted.

Ok, well I just got a little confused reading through this thread, didn't know where to start. Also because after the madburg posts in the beginning of this thread there were some problems reported. It seemed that the kkm method was the way to go. Maybe this thread needs a bit of cleaning up and stream-lining to make it a little easier to find what one needs to do to flash a specific controller, in my case a M1015, for use in Unraid.

Don't see this as criticism. I thank you guys a lot for doing all this.

Ok, well I just got a little confused reading through this thread, didn't know where to start. Also because after the madburg posts in the beginning of this thread there were some problems reported. It seemed that the kkm method was the way to go. Maybe this thread needs a bit of cleaning up and stream-lining to make it a little easier to find what one needs to do to flash a specific controller, in my case a M1015, for use in Unraid.

I hear ya. I sat on my card until I had the time to read the entire thread. I like to understand since i need to support my system.

I just recently flashed my m1015. I can telll you it Marburg's file worked great. I even customized the last script for my own environment.

I hear ya. I sat on my card until I had the time to read the entire thread. I like to understand since i need to support my system.

I just recently flashed my m1015. I can telll you it Marburg's file worked great. I even customized the last script for my own environment.

Did you use:

20.10.1-0037 (APP-2.120.54-1235) / 15-APR-11

Only iMR mode available.

LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB (Windows)

or, did u use:

Update: Convert your LSI MegaRAID controller card with LSI SAS2008 chipset to a Plain SAS2008 controller card (IT or IR mode), will look and feel like a LSI SAS9211-8i, and will be ready to use with unRAID (BIG THANKS to KKM for creating the empty.bin, so you dont need to have to worry about which sbr to obtain and use.)

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015 (tested successfully)

2) Intel RS2WC080  (tested successfully)

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008 with the provided zip.

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P10).zip - 6.38 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

More specifically: Did you use P10 or P11, or both? Are any further steps needed?