LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

P19 is the current firmware to use, but P11 is not bad to do the crossflash. Once you have flashed LSI firmware, the upgrade is easy.

Thank you for the info.  Do you know much about the RES2SV240?

Bill

You may need to flash it to current firmware.  I didn't do it for a long time to mine but I was having a few problems and proceed to flash it to current.  Once I did that my problems went away.  NOTE that was at least a year ago now so my RES2SV240s might have out of date firmware now - haven't checked for updates since then and I no longer remember what said problems were any more.  I was able to update the firmware of the RES2SV240s from within unRAID.  Was quite easy as I remember it I just followed the linux directions.

LSI SAS1068E chipset

1) LSI SAS 3081-R

2) IBM BR10i

3) Intel SASUC8I

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI SAS1068E chipset with the provided zip

FW:1.32.00.00, BIOS 6.34.00.00 / 20-DEC-10 (LSI P20)

Both IT/IR mode available

LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P20).zip - 3.8 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P20)Linux.zip - 4.5 MB (unRAID)

FW:1.33.00.00, BIOS 6.36.00.00 / 22-AUG-11 (LSI P21)

Both IT/IR mode available

LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P21).rar - 1.46 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P21)Linux.rar - 2.02 MB (unRAID)

Linux Driver: MPTSAS - supports the LSI SAS1064, SAS1064A, SAS1064E, SAS1066, SAS1068, SAS1068E, and SAS1078 chipsets. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

unRAID Support: Added as of 5.0Beta6a

Drive Spin Down Support: YES (UPDATE: Added as of 5.0Beta7)

Drive Temp Readings: YES

3TB Drive Support with this card: Will only offer 2.2TB out of 3TB (UPDATE: even though 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support, this card does NOT support 3TB drives, it only sees and uses 2.2TB from a 3TB drive)

*** Note: Multiple controllers all post under one MPTSAS Bios, there are global setting that affect all controllers and individual settings per controller available ***

hi just got new server running on board SAS chip LSI sas1064E

but not sure if i continue with flash to IT mode

1 & 1064E(B1) & 10.10.00.00 & 22.03 & 06.06.06.00 & no image & 00:03:00:00

im running B1 not 2 or 3

please advice what i should do, current OS came with it Windows server 2008 x64

after flash be changing to freenas

Does unRAID see your drives in stock configuration?

Is it really necessary to flash your board?

Those instructions are mainly used on extension cards!

Hi

After heaps of tries no luck can't use SAS, freenas see them but when it try's to gparted them it fails same as windows

any way update the chip it dose say IR not IT

thanks

Well, you're trying to run freenas...

Can't tell if freenas has the drivers implemented for that chipset.

Linux Driver: MPTSAS - supports the LSI SAS1064, SAS1064A, SAS1064E, SAS1066, SAS1068, SAS1068E, and SAS1078 chipsets. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

unRAID Support: Added as of 5.0Beta6a

From what I can see, unRAID should support the chipset.

Prepare a thumbdrive with unRAID demo and try it that way.

If it works, you have to check with the freenas guys for support.

I don't know if you can flash the onboard controller.

Usually you would have to modify a BIOS with appropriate IT drivers and then do the BIOS update.

Sounds challenging...

Guys,

Thanks so much for providing the plethora of information on this thread. I have learnt tons. I wanted to provide my own contribution..... recently, I bought a Lenovo Thinkcenter D10, 6493-33U... great machine, and a great deal to boot. Hold 5 sata drive easily, comes with 5 sata ports and 5 additional "raid" ports. It comes with an integrated LSI 1068e Raid card. The firmware that the 1068e came with was from 2007, sorry, don't remember the version number and I didn't write it down. Lenovo doesn't seem to have much support on their website for this machine, and there isn't alot of info on the net... and it lacks any type of firmware upgrade... so, I was either stuck with a version from 2007 or I could give the OP's instructions a shot. Well, his instructions didn't work for me... not sure why, I tried flashing in unraid and windows, neither worked. It was producing some kind of error message.

I was stuck at this point.

I found another post, that worked for me:

Here's the link: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038441452&postcount=20

And here's the context, in case, the forum/post is ever removed from "hardforum.com"

INSTRUCTIONS FOR SAS6i/r to LSI SAS 3081E-R (IR or IT mode) FLASHING (version 1.33.00.00)

My method was to set up a USB flash drive to boot DOS, make sure this works before moving on. Grab the SAS3081ER firmware set from LSI.

LSI.com > "Products" tab > "Host Bus Adapters" > 3Gb SATA+SAS adapters > SAS3081E-R

Grab the firmware file: SAS3081ER_Package_P21... yadda yadda

Unpack the files, now the rest of this is from memory so take this with a grain of salt, all of the 1068e chips i have seen mounted on DELL SAS6 cards have been REV B3 (look at the chip itself to find out, the version is etched on the surface of the 1068e). You should find a set of 6 firmware files in the extracted folder. Firmwares are labeled 1068E, followed by T (for initiator-target, aka IT mode) or R (RAID mode), followed by the revision B1 through B3. Copy the IR or IT mode firmware (whichever you need) with the proper chip revision over to the root of your DOS boot disk.

Copy mptsas.rom, hbaflash.bat, CHOICE.exe to root of your boot disk.

Copy sasflash.exe from the SASflash_DOS_rel directory to root of your bootdisk.

Boot your system from the DOS bootdisk.

invoke hbaflash.bat, follow instructions, have fun.

EDIT: just remember that the SAS6i/r is an SAS3081ER as far as the hbaflash.bat script is concerned. The script already has the -o "override" flag so it should not complain about non-matching versions; on the flip side if you select the wrong firmware you could screw something up. The "name" of the adapter in the mptsas bios will not change (from my experience) though i have one card that presents itself as SAS6 and another that presents as 1068E (if i recall correctly).

This worked for me, and the intergrated LSI 1068e card. I was able to find the firmware that is mentioned from the LSI site... its now in "Legacy Host Bus Adapters", here's the link: http://www.lsi.com/support/pages/download-results.aspx?component=Storage+Component&productfamily=Legacy+Host+Bus+Adapters&productcode=P00026&assettype=Firmware&productname=LSI+SAS+3081E-R

I created the MS DOS boot USB stick using Rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/, put the files on the drive like instructed. I had the B2 version of the chip. I really didn't think the process was going to work, so, I didn't take many notes, but I believe it tried to tell me that something wasn't compatible or didn't match or something like that, I proceeded anyway. I was at the point where I would try anything to flash to IT mode... or IR mode...just a newer firmware... unraid was giving me strange FS errors on the three drives I had in the machine... at all the same time. I would check the FS, and no issues... unraid would take a drive offline, but when I rebooted all was good again... and stayed that way for several days. I was pretty sure the drives were fine... that it was probably the fact that the controller was in IR mode, with a 2007 firmware date.

So, yes, the update with the above instructions was successful, and I am now running the P21 version in IT mode. I didn't try flashing it back to IR mode...but I am sure that would be successful as well. Eitherway, I am happy with a firmware version 4 years newer than what I had...and its in IT mode to boot.

Just wanted to share and say thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have built a couple of small <6 disk unraid servers in the past but I picked up a Dell Power Edge FS 12 server cheap and want to upgrade.  It has:

2x AMD 2373EE Operton Quad Core Processors (2.1GHZ)

16x 4GB ECC DDR2 Memory (64GB Total)

2x 400GB 10K SATA Drives with Caddy

10x 3.5" Caddy

1x Dual Port Onboard NIC

2x Perc6i RAID Controller

1x 350W Hot Swap Power Supply

1x Set of Rack Rails

The Perc6i controllers are in raid mode and it appears I need to flash them to IT mode.  I've looked around this thread and googled around last evening but I have yet to find a complete set of instructions.  Can someone point me to a solid set of instructions to flash these controllers to be compatible with unraid?  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

LSI MegaRAID

Update: Convert your LSI MegaRAID controller card with LSI SAS2008 chipset to a Plain SAS2008 controller card (IT or IR mode), will look and feel like a LSI SAS9211-8i, and will be ready to use with unRAID (BIG THANKS to KKM for creating the empty.bin, so you dont need to have to worry about which sbr to obtain and use.)

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015 (tested successfully)

2) Intel RS2WC080  (tested successfully)

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008 with the provided zip.

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P10).zip - 6.38 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

Please read the __READMEFIRST.txt file so you are clear as to all the steps and why it is important not to skip any steps.

Converting it follows all details in the post above for the LSI SAS2008 chipset (firmware release, support, etc.)

I'm sorry if I missed this but I just want to be clear, I have a RS2WC080 that I want to flash into IT mode, I'm not sure what the differences are between the P10 and P11 files.  Thank you in advanced for your help.

Meanwhile there is firmware revision P19 available for those cards.

P20 is not recommended due to several reported issues.

Thank you!  I figured out it's just a version. OK not sure how to use the P19 version vs the P11 version posted here.  It seems like the firmware is the same (at least the file name is the same) 2118it.bin.

OK just replaced the files in the firmware to the newer version but alas I get the "Failed to initialize PAL" message.  I found one other person that had success downloading the SAS2FLASH.EFI file from LSI and I gave that a try but I just keep getting wrong file name.  I'll try another system next.

It's not enough, to just replace the firmware file.

Use the corresponding sas2flsh that comes with P19.

If you don't succeed with P19, try to flash to P11 first and in a second step go to P19.

With respect to the "PAL error":

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25891.msg306262#msg306262

You probably found already.

If your board supports UEFI you can follow that instruction or try flashing on another mainboard.

The Perc6i controllers are in raid mode and it appears I need to flash them to IT mode.  I've looked around this thread and googled around last evening but I have yet to find a complete set of instructions.  Can someone point me to a solid set of instructions to flash these controllers to be compatible with unraid?  Thanks.

Any luck getting a PERC6/i (or PERC6/e) flashed into IT mode for JBOD?

Hey guys, im trying to flash a perc 6/i, but i got a problem.  I removed the heatsink to find the rev number, and it says its a C2...

I think the latest firmware from LSI is B3, so what should i do?  Dells latest firmware is from dec 2013 for some reason.

Did you ever manage to get that card flashed?

Any luck getting a PERC6/i (or PERC6/e) flashed into IT mode for JBOD?

Unfortunately not.  I have read many threads that describe it in general but I have yet to find a solid set of instructions with the EXACT firmware version to use.  I'm a bit frustrated.

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone.

I just installed my second LSI SAS9211-8i (like 20 minutes ago) and I wanted to share my experience, because it went surprisingly smooth.

Unfortunately, I just read that P20 isn't recommended due to reported problems. Now I'm worried. Should I keep P20 or RE-re-flash to P19? Everything seems okay, but like I said, it's only been about 20 minutes.

My other SAS9211-8i is on P18 and I was originally going to ask if it would be a problem have both in the same box. I guess that's still a good question. But should I keep it at P18; flash it to P19; or flash it to P20?

Thanks in advance.

(and I'll report back on any P20 problems untill I fiqure out what to do)

Michael

I would love it if you can keep us posted about the P20 firmware because I'm just setting up a Lenovo TS440 for the first time (total newb).  Looking at the dates of the firmware, it says 2/18/2015 and most of the comments about the P20 issue appear to be before that date so hopefully they revised it.  I want the latest and greatest but not if it has issues. 

kenneth_dart

I had everything running for a couple days, and haven't found a problem with P20, yet. I've been moving files to and from unRaid v5.0.4 and my Win7 box. This morning I spent some time in case management (I had cables going all over the place), and it still seems okay. I've never been thrilled with the data transfer but diskspeed.sh hasn't shown anything unusual. My syslog looks pretty much the same, too.

I've attached an (edited) excerpt from the txt log I keep whenever I do something to the computer. (I know its kinda geeky, but its saved my ass a couple of dozen times). @Moderator - please let me know if I should have attached this as a txt file instead of verbose text.

It always amazes me that there are so many ways to do the same thing on a computer. I followed different internet advice than some on this thread (see below), and it worked for me. Bare in mind that I had an actual LSI card and a Supermicro MB. You mileage (and your Lenovo TS440) may vary

2:50 PM 5/3/2015

MODIFIED - Installing and flashing the LSI SAS9211-8i from whatever IR mode (Integrated RAID firmware) it shipped with to, P20 to IT mode (Initiator target mode).

NOTE: I'm following advice on:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/104425-flashing-an-lsi-9211-8i-raid-card-to-it-mode-for-zfssoftware-raid-tutorial/

http://brycv.com/blog/2012/flashing-it-firmware-to-lsi-sas9211-8i/

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/uefi-shell

NOTE: I rebooted the server and made sure a got a copy of the syslog (just in case)

1. I removed the currently installed LSI SAS9211-8i from the SuperMicro (PCH) Slot 4 (the tutorial mentions not flashing a second card while the first is installed) and mounted the newer card in the SuperMicro (PCH) Slot 5 - (thats the PCI-Express 3.0 x4 in x8 Slot - the one nearest from the CPU).

NOTE: the new card came with a low-profile case mounting bracket and wasn't long enough to attach correctly. I removed it all together and will need to eventually replace it.

2. I booted up the server and accessed the BIOS:

a. Adjusted SuperMicro AMI BIOS > ADVANCED > PCI > PCH Slot 5 from [Legacy] to [EFI Only] The previous adjestments are staying the same.

- Adjusted SuperMicro AMI BIOS > ADVANCED > PCI > Launch Storage OpROM from [Legacy] to [uEFI Only]

- Adjusted SuperMicro AMI BIOS > ADVANCED > PCI > Other PCI Device OpROM from [Legacy] to [uEFI Only]

b. I saved and exited. This started unRaid. Because the first LSI card wasn't installed (it's in an antistatic bag, right now), unRaid reported 8 RED BALLS for the missing drives. I logged into the webGUI and powered down.

3. Formated old Attache USB 512MB drive (yeah, MB) with FAT32

4. I downloaded "9211_8i_Package_P20_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows" from http://www.lsi.com/products/host-bus-adapters/pages/lsi-sas-9211-8i.aspx#tab/tab4

a. Pulled the file "2118it.bin" located in the directory Firmware/HBA_9211_8i_IT of the archive and put in on the Attache USB 512MB drive.

b. Pulled the file "mptsas2.rom", located in the directory sasbios_rel inside of the archive and put in on the Attache USB 512MB drive.

5. I downloaded: Installer_P20_for_UEFI from http://www.lsi.com/products/host-bus-adapters/pages/lsi-sas m-9211-8i.aspx#tab/tab4

a. Pulled the file "Shell.efi" located in the directory sas2flash_efi_ebc_rel of the archive and put in on the Attache USB 512MB drive.

NOTE: the tutorial still goes to alot of trouble to include a UEFI shell as well, but I think I got that one covered in the SuperMicro BIOS; so I'm skipping ahead (fingers crossed).

6. I replaced the the Sandisk 16GB internal drive (unRaid) with the PNY Attache USB drive in the the server and rebooted.

7. At the SuperMicro BIOS Menu, I pressed F11 to invoke the Boot Menu.

8. At the Boot Menu, I scrolled down to UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell.

9. On my machine, the first thing the shell did was diplay a nice list of all connected

storage devices, with my Attache 256 MB USB drive labeled fs0 :Removable HardDisk Alias hd16b0f0band my HDDs and SSDs labled blk#. Unfortunately, I couldn't actually see the information because it scrolled off the top of my sceen. Google'n, I found the command I needed: map -b    -This displayed a map of all the devices and waited at the the top of the screen form my to press ENTER to continue or 'q' to exit.

10. mount fs0:  -to mount the drive

11. fs0:        -change directories into the drive

12. ls          -to list the contents of the directory (just to be sure)

13. sas2flash.efi -o -e 6  -command to erase/reset the card and prepare it for the new BIOS and firmware. The -o flag puts it in "advanced mode" The -e flag is the Erase command. The Erase Parameter 6 is to "Clean flash (erase everything except manufacturing area)"  (fingers crossed)

NOTE: CAREFUL: DO NOT TURN OFF OR REBOOT YOUR MACHINE AT THIS POINT. ALLEGEDLY YOU WILL HAVE A BRICKED CARD ON YOUR HANDS!!!

NOTE: The display:

LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility

Version 20.00.0.00 (2014.09.18)

Copyright © 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

SAS2FLASH: Disconnecting the EFI Driver.

Advanced Mode Set

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)

Executing Flash Region...

Erase Flash Region...

Erase Flash Operation Successful!

Resetting Adapter...

Reset Successful!

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.

Exiting SAS2FLASH.

fs0:\>

14. sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom  -this flashes the new files. The -f flag is the firmware update file. The -b flag is the BIOS update file. (fingers crossed, again)

15. Both the Firmware Flash and the BIOS Flash were SUCCESSFUL! The display scrolled off the screen so I can't see it again; but I entered:

sas2fllash.efi -list and received:

Adapter Selected is LSI SAS SAS2008(B2)

Controller Number            : 0

Controller                    : SAS2008(B2)

PCI Address                  : 00:02:00:00

SAS Address                  : 500605B-x-xxxx-xxxx

NVDATA Version (Default)      : 14.04.00.08

NVDATA Version (Persistent)  : 14.00.00.08

Firmware Product ID          : 0x2213 (IT)

Firmware Version              : 20.00.02.00

NVDATA Vendor                : LSI

NVDATA Product ID            : SAS9211-8i

BIOS Version                  : 07.39.00.00

UEFI BSD Version              : N/A

FCODE Version                : N/A

Board Name                    : SAS9211-8i

Board Assembly                : H3-xxxxx-xxx

Board Tracer Number          : SPxxxxxxxx (serial number)

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.

Exiting SAS2Flash.

16. exit  -to exit UEFI Shell

17. Reboot (5:27 PM 5/3/2015)

NOTE (8:01 PM 05/03/2015): reading some ofthe unraid forum posts I notice that other users had problems with P20. I'm kinda worried, now. I posted to the Forum and will wait for adive. In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

NOTE (05/06/2015): reading some of the unRaid forum posts, I notice that other users had problems with "Failed to validate Mfg 2 page" errors. I did see a message like that as well and the process seemed to stall for 10-15 seceond (an eternity when your fingers are still crossed) but it seemed to autocorrect itself (maybe in some subroutine?) and I think I saw either "Validated" or "Validation Successful" and continued on. Because it Finished Successfully, I didn't think to write it down at the time.

I would love it if you can keep us posted about the P20 firmware because I'm just setting up a Lenovo TS440 for the first time (total newb).  Looking at the dates of the firmware, it says 2/18/2015 and most of the comments about the P20 issue appear to be before that date so hopefully they revised it.  I want the latest and greatest but not if it has issues.

It seems you could be right... P20 firmware package available now from LSI web site contains rev. 20.00.02.00 and reading the provided changelog it seems that revs. 20.00.01.00 and 20.00.02.00 have been released to fix two defects related to data corruption and a bad working NCQ queue.

Anyone who have tested this latest build of P20 firmware? Impressions?

It seems WE could be right...  ;D

From http://mycusthelp.info/LSI/_cs/AnswerDetail.aspx?&inc=8484  ...

Question:

Upgrading to firmware phase 20 (20.00.00.00) caused errors in /var/log/messages file

Answer:

If you upgrade to phase 20 firmware (20.00.00.00) on LSI SAS HBAs (e.g. LSISAS2004, LSISAS2008, LSISAS2308 based) then you may see this repeated many times in /var/log/messages:mpt2sas0:  log_info (0x31080000):  original (PL), code (0x08), sub_code (0x0000)This has been addressed by Avago and has been fixed in a newer firmware release: 20.00.02.00 (still called phase 20, or P20).To avoid the message, you can flash the controller to an older version of firmware (e.g. phase 19), or flash to the newer firmware release 20.00.02.00 or newer (if available).

Please note that if you are already on P20 rev.20.00.00.00 you need to follow the special procedure subsequently indicated on that kb article to upgrade.  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I did according to the following post the IR version is the only one that works ?

What am I missing ?

LSI MegaRAID with SAS2008 chipsets

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015

2) Intel RS2WC080

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 chipset with the provided zip.

20.10.1-0037 (APP-2.120.54-1235) / 15-APR-11

Only iMR mode available.

LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB (Windows)

Linux Driver: megaraid_sas - supports the LSI SAS1078, SAS1078 GEN2, SAS1079 GEN2, SAS0073 and SAS0071 chipsets. Though is is an old version indeed. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

unRAID Support: Driver not included at this point.

Drive Spin Down support: YES (UPDATE: Added as of 5.0Beta7)

Drive Temp Readings: YES

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)

Update: Convert your LSI MegaRAID controller card with LSI SAS2008 chipset to a Plain SAS2008 controller card (IT or IR mode), will look and feel like a LSI SAS9211-8i, and will be ready to use with unRAID (BIG THANKS to KKM for creating the empty.bin, so you dont need to have to worry about which sbr to obtain and use.)

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015 (tested successfully)

2) Intel RS2WC080  (tested successfully)

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008 with the provided zip.

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P10).zip - 6.38 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

Please read the __READMEFIRST.txt file so you are clear as to all the steps and why it is important not to skip any steps.

Converting it follows all details in the post above for the LSI SAS2008 chipset (firmware release, support, etc.)

I did according to the following post the IR version is the only one that works ?

What am I missing ?

What do you mean?  ???

If you want to use your card for making some RAID you have to go with IR version, otherwise, if you only need 8 SATA ports for unRAID usage, it's better to go with IT version, eventually without ROM too if you prefer.

Best procedure is to crossflash using P11 version, then upgrade to P19 or P20 (once it's P11 crossflashed, it 'thinks' to be a real 9211-8i, so you can easily upgrade with standard LSI/Avago procedures).

Possibly use a standard BIOS mainboard so you can go with a simple bootable USB for all steps of procedure.

With an UEFI BIOS you could face some errors and need to use more complicated procedures on some steps.  ::)

Most here are still using P19 since of a bug found on P20 v.20.00.00, but according to LSI, this has been fixed in P20 v.20.02.00 and in fact I'm using it (IR version) on Windows with a 4 SSD RAID0 flawlessly:  https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39935.0  ;)

etec,

Which fw/package do I use ? Madburg's post only showed the IR version ?

20.10.1-0037 (APP-2.120.54-1235) / 15-APR-11

I can see the drives during boot up in the LSI Bios, but not when Unraid starts.

Its supposed to see them even in IR mode ?